• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Anyone know the most bicycle friendly way to get from the Dumbarton Bridge to Woodside?

Anyone know the most bicycle friendly way to get from the Dumbarton Bridge to Woodside?

Lemme contact my bro and see if he has any suggestions. He usually cycles around that area when he was still working in that area.

In front of the Skull :)
attachment.php

Lemme contact my bro and see if he has any suggestions. He usually cycles around that area when he was still working in that area.

iirc, 84 is bike lane'd most of, if not all the way between Dumbarton & Woodside. It definitely is within the proximity of Woodside.

Thanks a bunch :)

I've been looking to make it up to Skyline and that the other roads on the peninsula, and I'm not too keen on paying that bridge toll if I don't have to.

After spending a freaken 2+ hours riding out and climbing Kings, then riding around on Skyline got stuck behind some fat ass from Texas in a SUV going down 84. Apparently it was too much for his ego to pull over and let cyclist pass, so I ended up riding my brakes all the way down. In the afternoon took my SV up there to get some honey and got stuck behind another cager going up. :mad

does anyone have a road bike for sale. i am just getting into it so i dont want to spend a lot before i make sure i like it. im 5 10 and dont need the best right now. i would like something that is in good shape and will last a while with out having to spend any money on fixing it. let me know what you have. thanks.

does anyone have a road bike for sale. i am just getting into it so i dont want to spend a lot before i make sure i like it. im 5 10 and dont need the best right now. i would like something that is in good shape and will last a while with out having to spend any money on fixing it. let me know what you have. thanks.

What is your budget?

What is your budget?

Not sure yet. I guess it depends on what people have. i want to get something for $500 or less if i can. i know i can get a new specialized for about $700 for a beginner bike.

My main think is i dont want to spend a lot because i dont know how much i will like it.

Not sure yet. I guess it depends on what people have. i want to get something for $500 or less if i can. i know i can get a new specialized for about $700 for a beginner bike.

My main think is i dont want to spend a lot because i dont know how much i will like it.

What size road bike are you looking for?

Ok - I'll see about some options for ya tomorrow. Will make a call...

that is another good question. i dont know yet i am going to go to a shop tomorrow and see what they say i need.

What's your height / inseam? That's generally a good place to start.

You said you are 5 '10. I would say either 56 or 58 depending on manufacturer. Just a ballpark figures to get you started. Another thing to consider is the top tube length, if it's too long you might feel stretched out and will have a tendency to move forward on the saddle. Shorter stem, and moving saddle towards the handlebars can only do so much. Also do a litmus test if they put you on lets say on 56 ask for 58, if they don't have it in stock it might indicate something..... Also a general recommendation is to look for bikes with longer head tube, usually indicates a more relaxed geometry which can be more comfortable for a new rider or for people with limited flexibility/weak core.

To get closer approximation try this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

You said you are 5 '10. I would say either 56 or 58 depending on manufacturer. Just a ballpark figures to get you started. Another thing to consider is the top tube length, if it's too long you might feel stretched out and will have a tendency to move forward on the saddle. Shorter stem, and moving saddle towards the handlebars can only do so much. Also do a litmus test if they put you on lets say on 56 ask for 58, if they don't have it in stock it might indicate something..... Also a general recommendation is to look for bikes with longer head tube, usually indicates a more relaxed geometry which can be more comfortable for a new rider or for people with limited flexibility/weak core.

To get closer approximation try this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

i will do this tomorrow and post it for everyone. thanks for all the help.

After spending a freaken 2+ hours riding out and climbing Kings, then riding around on Skyline got stuck behind some fat ass from Texas in a SUV going down 84. Apparently it was too much for his ego to pull over and let cyclist pass, so I ended up riding my brakes all the way down. In the afternoon took my SV up there to get some honey and got stuck behind another cager going up. :mad

I remember coming down from Alices on moto's. Taking it very slow, speed limit like down 84.

I was leading and keeping an eye out on my friend who was getting used to riding. I look behind the 3rd person (last of my group) and see a bicyclist....

At this point, we are going maybe 35ish. So i wave him by, but he decided to just draft us down. We lost him on a straight away, but it was funny to see.

I remember coming down from Alices on moto's. Taking it very slow, speed limit like down 84.

I was leading and keeping an eye out on my friend who was getting used to riding. I look behind the 3rd person (last of my group) and see a bicyclist....

At this point, we are going maybe 35ish. So i wave him by, but he decided to just draft us down. We lost him on a straight away, but it was funny to see.

It gets even funnier considering that the only safety gear for a cyclist is a Styrofoam helmet not designed for those speeds. Oh and the awesome protection that lycra offers. :rofl

Anyway last Sunday I got stuck behind this rider on old (vintage?) BMW with old (vintage?) leathers. Usually I would have just drafted down, but I got tired smelling his cigarette. At first opportunity I passed him on a corner. I know not the smartest thing to do, but motos have a tad more power out of the corners and on straightaway. lol. He passed me back near the bottom when I was trying to navigate to the side of the road after my front tire went flat in a corner.... Ah good times.

P.S. I think 35 is close to a max speed for a bicycle on that road, purely due to gear limitations.

Last edited:

Thanks for this link. I ended up doing this and found out I was a weirdo. Haha I am 5 10 and some change but my inseam is 34.25. My frame was a little short but it was also too long. I just dented up my old frame so it's time for a new one. I couldn't have got this info at a better time. thanks.

P.S. I think 35 is close to a max speed for a bicycle on that road, purely due to gear limitations.

Faster has been done :teeth

You are the braver man then I am, or maybe just have higher gears. :thumbup

guys, im gonna go solo tomorrow morn. at 7am.
Imma park my car at Roberts market parking lot/woodside road. Its a grey little convertible with a big orange dude and a big green cannondale. If youre there just say hello to me. Im gonna do at least 50 miles and hoping for 100. Id love some company. I dont care if you think youre slow, youre not, we'll have fun.

Back