• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

guys, im gonna go solo tomorrow morn. at 7am.
Imma park my car at Roberts market parking lot/woodside road. Its a grey little convertible with a big orange dude and a big green cannondale. If youre there just say hello to me. Im gonna do at least 50 miles and hoping for 100. Id love some company. I dont care if you think youre slow, youre not, we'll have fun.

I plan to wake up at 7. :rofl The plan to do 60ish miles, climb some Kings, and WOLH. I'll be in a red Republic on Anaerbia Jersey or CAL windvest depending on weather on REd/Black bike with ugliest mud flap evar! Have a good ride.

I plan to wake up at 7. :rofl The plan to do 60ish miles, climb some Kings, and WOLH. I'll be in a red Republic on Anaerbia Jersey or CAL windvest depending on weather on REd/Black bike with ugliest mud flap evar! Have a good ride.

Ill be in the mountains from 7am-5pm, If i see ya Ill say hello...make sur eyou do the same.

Huge dude on a huge grean Liquagas System6....blue helmet/orange jersey/bluejacket if its cold

You said you are 5 '10. I would say either 56 or 58 depending on manufacturer. Just a ballpark figures to get you started. Another thing to consider is the top tube length, if it's too long you might feel stretched out and will have a tendency to move forward on the saddle. Shorter stem, and moving saddle towards the handlebars can only do so much. Also do a litmus test if they put you on lets say on 56 ask for 58, if they don't have it in stock it might indicate something..... Also a general recommendation is to look for bikes with longer head tube, usually indicates a more relaxed geometry which can be more comfortable for a new rider or for people with limited flexibility/weak core.

To get closer approximation try this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

this is what it came up with.

Seat tube range c-c 49.3 - 49.8 50.5 - 51.0 52.2 - 52.7
Seat tube range c-t 50.9 - 51.4 52.1 - 52.6 53.8 - 54.3
Top tube length 53.9 - 54.3 53.9 - 54.3 55.1 - 55.5
Stem Length 10.5 - 11.1 9.4 - 10.0 9.6 - 10.2
BB-Saddle Position 71.1 - 73.1 70.3 - 72.3 68.6 - 70.6
Saddle-Handlebar 50.1 - 50.7 50.9 - 51.5 52.6 - 53.2
Saddle Setback 1.8 - 2.2 3.0 - 3.4 2.5 - 2.9

Let me know if you can find anything or what all this means.

For 5ft 10in that doesn't sound right, but I'll keep an eye out.

i have short legs. if that makes it any better

Try this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1600968506.html and see if you can get it for less then 500. I am not sure what "upgrades" they are talking about. Here is a link to the current year version, I don't think geometry changed much. http://www.fujibikes.com/Road/Sport/Newest30.aspx It is compact geometry so seat tube length is kind of missleading. I think the numbers you got are for regular geometry (no slopping top tube).

Also another suggestion is to stop by different bike shops and test ride their bikes to get a feeling for different bikes. I think it's very rare that people buy the "perfect" bike as their first bike anyway.

Last edited:
Anybody have gear they recommend or will I be okay with some workout-type clothes for shorter rides? Just getting into it, I dusted off the old peugeot and got some new tires and tubes for it. Also if anybody is leading any newbie or "slightly out of shape" rides, let me know hahaha. Need to build up my cardio again.

Some inexpensive Performance Bike cycling shorts with an 'ergonomically shaped' chamois can make all the difference in the world.

Wow we are the same height and look at the diff in numbers. Proof you should always go test ride and not go off someones guess for your height. I did that and ended up with the wrong frame.

The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 56.3 - 56.8
Seat tube range c-t: 58.1 - 58.6
Top tube length: 55.0 - 55.4
Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
BB-Saddle Position: 77.7 - 79.7
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.0 - 54.6
Saddle Setback: 6.0 - 6.4

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 57.5 - 58.0
Seat tube range c-t: 59.3 - 59.8
Top tube length: 55.0 - 55.4
Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
BB-Saddle Position: 76.9 - 78.9
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.8 - 55.4
Saddle Setback: 7.2 - 7.6

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 59.2 - 59.7
Seat tube range c-t: 61.0 - 61.5
Top tube length: 56.2 - 56.6
Stem Length: 10.3 - 10.9
BB-Saddle Position: 75.2 - 77.2
Saddle-Handlebar: 56.5 - 57.1
Saddle Setback: 6.7 - 7.1

Yep, although as a new rider you don't really know what you are looking for. When I bought my first roadbike I did the usual "test ride around parking lot" and went with salesperson suggestion and ended up with a 56 frame. Unfortunately some shops just push whatever they have in stock, rather then what is good for the costumer.

Last edited:
Anybody have gear they recommend or will I be okay with some workout-type clothes for shorter rides? Just getting into it, I dusted off the old peugeot and got some new tires and tubes for it. Also if anybody is leading any newbie or "slightly out of shape" rides, let me know hahaha. Need to build up my cardio again.

For short rides shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you do decide to go with cycling specific super man costume I recommend bibs over shorts. They are more comfortable because elastic strap doesn't dig in. I also hear they support mid section better.... I would ride with you, but I am in Santa Clara and on crutches at the moment

Just started commuting to school from home a few weeks ago (I'm on week 4). I still drive to work, as I carpool. I had been using a mountain bike that I've had since high school outfitted with road/city tires.

But now I just picked up this flatbar road bike.

Netti-Scott-Speedster-S60-FB-24-sp-Bike.jpg

If you do decide to go with cycling specific super man costume I recommend bibs over shorts.

Ja, I've heard from some males that the bib-type shorts are more comfy both on the waist angle and for keeping the junk out of the way and happy. I don't have junk, so I can't speak from personal experience there. ;)

(On the women's side, I recently discovered Harlot clothes, and I'm rather pleased with them - made in the US, comfortable, good padding without huge cameltoe, and they don't look like bicycle clothes (no Spandex, no USPS Lance-clone logos).)

Just started commuting to school from home a few weeks ago (I'm on week 4). I still drive to work, as I carpool. I had been using a mountain bike that I've had since high school outfitted with road/city tires.

But now I just picked up this flatbar road bike.

Netti-Scott-Speedster-S60-FB-24-sp-Bike.jpg

Awesome! :thumbup Is that a carbon frame?

Awesome! :thumbup Is that a carbon frame?

It's aluminum. If it were carbon, then I scored a smokin' deal! Funny thing is my housemate asked me the same thing when he saw it.

I figured it will be a long while before I step into something a little less "entry level."

Road Bike Cassette Question

Please ONLY ANSWER this if you are sure
I have a road-bike that came stock with a Compact double front 34/50 and a 12/27 rear cassette. It has (also stock) a SHORT CAGE derailleur.

If I switch my rear cassette to an 11/28 (bigger than the stock 12/27) will the short cage rear derailleur still work or would I also have to go to a medium cage??????

Oh, please don't take chain length into account when answering this question as I'm going to order a new chain as well so I can cut it any length it needs to be.

Last edited:
What group are you running, SRAM?
That cassette will have some pretty big jumps....

It's aluminum. If it were carbon, then I scored a smokin' deal! Funny thing is my housemate asked me the same thing when he saw it.

I figured it will be a long while before I step into something a little less "entry level."

Yeah for commuting, specially to campus, you don't really need/want something above entry level. I use Specialized Langster for my commute. No fancy shmancy gears. lol

Back