• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Well according to this thing you can with new Ultegra RD. http://bike.shimano.com/media/techd...01/SI-5X90A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830671285.pdf

Although I think I ran across a discussion on it, where people said they ran it with older 10 speed.
Thanx.
I also got in touch with my mechanic buddy and he said it will work but I will have a problem cross-chaining small to small, .... which I don't do anyway. He said other than that it might not shift as crisply as before but that it should work fine.

Anyone need a lightly used 11/25 Ultegra???

How much? How many miles on it?

Are you really sure you want to go with such low gearing? 28 with a compact is pretty extreme.
Acute Respiratory Failure with badly scared lungs and not enough O2 in the blood make pushing the 25T near impossible. Not sure I'm gonna like the action of the shifting but unfortunately I'm starting from scratch as far as energy and lungs go.

Oh, and as far as the 25T cassette, I think there is reasonably low miles but I bought the bike used. Make an offer.
If you take it and it doesn't work smoothly for you I'll give you your money back. Roxy put about 130 miles on it and I put about 25 with no issues. Seems smooth and crisp.

Last edited:
Acute Respiratory Failure with badly scared lungs and not enough O2 in the blood make pushing the 25T near impossible. Not sure I'm gonna like the action of the shifting but unfortunately I'm starting from scratch as far as energy and lungs go.

Oh, and as far as the 25T cassette, I think there is reasonably low miles but I bought the bike used. Make an offer.
If you take it and it doesn't work smoothly for you I'll give you your money back. Roxy put about 130 miles on it and I put about 25 with no issues. Seems smooth and crisp.

I normally never reccomend a triple up front and hate hate hate triples, but maybe you should get a triple with a long cage rear derailure. This way during the ride you could eventually work your way up. Sorry about your lung problems, hopefully you can train them to get better.

(triples arnt that bad. The shifting is a bit slower but I have a trick for that. Also theyre a bit more sensative and like perfect tuning to work well).

I dunno, Im no pro abut in the by area and all the mountains I use a regular crank up front and 12/25 rear. I tried a compact but would over power it.
In SB I was flying around on 11/23.

(proper training and maybe some pro coaching makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference)

I normally never reccomend a triple up front and hate hate hate triples, but maybe you should get a triple with a long cage rear derailure. This way during the ride you could eventually work your way up. Sorry about your lung problems, hopefully you can train them to get better.

(triples arnt that bad. The shifting is a bit slower but I have a trick for that. Also theyre a bit more sensative and like perfect tuning to work well).

I dunno, Im no pro abut in the by area and all the mountains I use a regular crank up front and 12/25 rear. I tried a compact but would over power it.
In SB I was flying around on 11/23.

I've probably ridden over 10,000 miles on triple, still have a very nice one in the garage (it's for sale, see previous posts) but other than the fact that the 25T is just a wee bit too hard for my weakened body, that's not enough to make me spend all the money needed to turn my compact (which I love) into another triple. My Roubaix (the compact) fits me a wee bit better than the OCR (triple) did as well. It's a sweet rig and I'm not changing more than I have to. Especially since I can barely ride it enough to justify owning it.

LOL, If you see an 11/28 for sale here or craigslist, .... you'll know it didn't work out. :laughing :laughing :rofl

Sorry about your lung problems, hopefully you can train them to get better.

See the leg in my avatar. It's mine. 6 months ago my whole body looked like that. I went into the hospital at 146 pounds / 9% body fat and came out 28 days later at 118 pounds with badly scarred lungs, a defective immunity system (white blood cells don't work properly) and less than 30% of the muscle I went in with.

I know how to train, ain't no trainin' fixin' that, .... quickly. :( Oh, and apparently after being tested last week my lungs are still processing significantly less O2 into my blood than they should be, even with the scarring considered.

Yes, I need the 28T

Last edited:
Anyone know if 5 bolt chainrings are typically compatible between recently model 9 speed triple cranksets? I'm thinking of putting Shimano chainrings on a Truvativ crankset.

Anyone know if 5 bolt chainrings are typically compatible between recently model 9 speed triple cranksets? I'm thinking of putting Shimano chainrings on a Truvativ crankset.

Some fit and some don't, it depends ont he spaers also and how far the rank sits from the frame.

Can you get exact year/model of each?

Got my Ultegra 11/28 cassette today.
It looks like some hidious monstrosity.
The 2nd biggest ring is a 24 and then it jumps to the 28.
Think I'm gonna send it back and just go with a 12/27 :(

Looking for recommendations on either toeclip or clipless pedals w/cycling shoes.

Background: I'm an absolute beginner. I began commuting a month ago, 3-4 days a week, at an average distance of 15mi/day. My intention is to go nearly as green as possible, while including some long recreational rides on weekends. Cycling has become my primary form of aerobic exercise, but I have no intentions to train for a century ride or anything like that. Almost all of my experience on a bicycle has been with platform pedals. I have not used toeclip pedals for an extended period of time, and I have never used clipless pedals.

I've been doing platform pedals since I was old enough to ride a bicycle, and just went to clipless at the beginning of last year. I used SPDs (got a nice set of shoes from my hubby as a B-day gift), and the transition was pretty smooth. I did fall over the very first time I rode with them and went to unclip, but the learning curve was pretty steep after that. :laughing

Clipless makes hills awesome.

Got my Ultegra 11/28 cassette today.
It looks like some hidious monstrosity.
The 2nd biggest ring is a 24 and then it jumps to the 28.
Think I'm gonna send it back and just go with a 12/27 :(

Yeah I thought 11/28 might have big jumps. I use 12/27 and it works well enough with my compact.

Back