• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Looking for recommendations on either toeclip or clipless pedals w/cycling shoes.

Background: I'm an absolute beginner. I began commuting a month ago, 3-4 days a week, at an average distance of 15mi/day. My intention is to go nearly as green as possible, while including some long recreational rides on weekends. Cycling has become my primary form of aerobic exercise, but I have no intentions to train for a century ride or anything like that. Almost all of my experience on a bicycle has been with platform pedals. I have not used toeclip pedals for an extended period of time, and I have never used clipless pedals.

Well it really depends on what you want to do. There are two systems SPD and SPD-SL. The first one is for MTB. The advantage of this system is that in general you can walk with the shoes. The disadvantage is that they are not as stiff as road shoes. The SPD-SL is for road shoes. A good thing about those is that they are stiff, light, but you can't walk with them (far). I have been using Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL and have been very happy with them.

As for shoes, well you just need to try a bunch and see what fits. I had basic SIDI shoes which I really liked, now I use Specialized ones. They are also good, but fit/size is different from SIDIs.

Guys, have I got a big surprise for you!!!!! and me too!!! Ill give details when I get a chance......

Dude asking about pedals, go with look keo classics.

Speaking of bike shwag. I just ordered one of these under crash replacement policy. It will look kind of weird with my current red/black fork, but I plan on swapping that out eventually also. :thumbup
rs2-white-1.jpg

Well, I definitely would want a system where the shoes are "walkable". Based on what I've been googling, I'm thinking the SPD system is what I'm looking for. I figure, get one pair of shoes with recessed SPD cleats so I can walk on them for commuting, and get a dedicated road shoe for weekend riding that can take an SPD cleat.

But I'm thinking too far ahead of myself. I can't afford all this stuff, yet.

Well it really depends on what you want to do. There are two systems SPD and SPD-SL. The first one is for MTB. The advantage of this system is that in general you can walk with the shoes. The disadvantage is that they are not as stiff as road shoes. The SPD-SL is for road shoes. A good thing about those is that they are stiff, light, but you can't walk with them (far). I have been using Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL and have been very happy with them.

As for shoes, well you just need to try a bunch and see what fits. I had basic SIDI shoes which I really liked, now I use Specialized ones. They are also good, but fit/size is different from SIDIs.

Any SFers here ride with groups? Been thinking about joining a club but not sure who - most are pretty inconvenient from the city (especially with no car)

Got my Ultegra 11/28 cassette today.
It looks like some hidious monstrosity.
The 2nd biggest ring is a 24 and then it jumps to the 28.
Think I'm gonna send it back and just go with a 12/27 :(

I lead group rides out of San Mateo every Saturday morning. Everyone from 60 yr old beginners to Crit/Semi-Pro racers come out from the rides.
I invite you to show up (and of course yell at me that your'e Harpo ) and we'll work on what ale's ya...it's not the gearing:thumbup

Anyone have time this weekend to help me get fitted? Havent ridden in a bit and last time I remember I wasnt comfortable and road primarily holding on to the top of the bars.

I'm in the east bay

Where can i get a deal on some shoes? Online? I was scouring craigslist but nothing I've found is my size/style.

I fit the bontriger size 45 well. The shimanos were kinda narrow.
Theres cycling shops here, but im trying to pay less than $170...

just finished building it ....

New race bike ...... had to retire my beloved prince & swap out everything to the Ridley ......

Attachments

• 100_0880.jpg
    100_0880.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0875.jpg
    100_0875.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0883.jpg
    100_0883.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0876.jpg
    100_0876.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 113
Guys,

We hold a group ride every Saturday morning out of Cyclepath in San Mateo. Everyone is more than welcome and no one gets dropped. We leave at 8:30am sharp and do an easy ride on Canada road....about 25 easy/flat miles. The shop is closed at that time so I promise I won't try to sell you anything :laughing,it's just shop tradition that we're bringing back.:cool

(oh, and Ill go up into the hills with anyone who wants to keep going! Its a good exuse to not show up for work:teeth)

Later on we will have weekday rides and split the rides into begginer/advaned groups.

It's always fun to ride with others.....and you'll get some free pro tips!!!

Show up tomorrow or any other Sat at 8:30am.

Last edited:
Yey, crash replacement frame has arrived. Going to try to swap the components myself (I envision epic failure), and let a local shop finish the tune up. Is it hard to move a headset and fork from one frame to another? It is from the same manufacturer, but different frame.

Is it hard to move a headset and fork from one frame to another? It is from the same manufacturer, but different frame.

What are the two frames/forks? years? Its relatively easy but you could run into problems if the headset was installed incorretly, 's[ecially on a arbon frame/fork steerer....which may shops do:(

hey,

Feel free to stop by the shop if you want to chat/learn about the three Carbon factories on mainland China and one in Taiwan.

One of the factories is teriffic, the rest are garbage. All carbon frames are gorgeous, very few of them are any good. The few good ones are just unbelievably good.

The rest are worse in every way possible compared to an aluminum/scandium frame.

Cervelo has a great saying. A top quality aluminum frame is a ton better than a "cheap" arbon frame.....they are completely correct.

PM me if you want me to name names/give details.

Last edited:
Back