• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Meh I started out with tiagra. It didn't held me back. If someone gets dropped in lower cats it's not because of the gear. :thumbup

Tiagra and Sora work well enough for a casual rider. Shift them a million times in crit 30 min. under a powerfull rider and they'll break.

Tiagra and Sora work well enough for a casual rider. Shift them a million times in crit 30 min. under a powerfull rider and they'll break.

Good thing I suck then, no worries about component level. :laughing
Curious which parts do you think would break, RD? I would imagine shifting under load will put a fair amount of stress on it. Besides Machette wants to do tri, I think aero is more of an issue there then durability or weight.

thanks for all the input fellas. my last roadbike, had a mix of ul/da and I think the rear brake was a 105 component.

da was the derailer, and ultegra was about everything else.

btw: this is absolutely awesome. holy shit. :laughing

I'll probably stick to the Ultegra components as needed. I would use a regular road bike for my tri's, as well as not being ready to dump out cash for multiple bikes for multiple disciplines.

so if I can find a bike that I can mainly use for tri's and road riding, then that is the route I'll go first. then I'll look into a middle of the road crossbike. :)

great info. especially since the last time I built a road bike was in 2000 and I hadn't had to worry about all the different components on my single speed. cheers

Well at least the brakes are not electronic. lol

Anyway KickStand not sure if I will be able to stop by your shop for a chat. :( Can you share your thoughts on carbon manufacturing overseas? Through PM or here.

Thanks

Good thing I suck then, no worries about component level. :laughing
Curious which parts do you think would break, RD? I would imagine shifting under load will put a fair amount of stress on it. Besides Machette wants to do tri, I think aero is more of an issue there then durability or weight.

First, Ill PM back everyone who asked me about good VS bad carbon frames ASAP.

Second,

Shimano shifters aren't rebuild-able like Campy's. If they break you have to get new ones since the brake/shift mechanism is one in the same.

The shifters will break because they can't take the abuse of being quickly shifted hard and often.

The rear der simply isnt quick or accurate relative to 105/Utl/DA and the spring is weak. Yes they are very heavy but unsprung wieght on a bike doesnt really matter unless you're a blood doping 117 lb Italian world champ.

What makes a HUGE difference is the rotating mass like wheels/cranks. those 100 grams and better hubs are absolutely noticeable.

Ult/DA perform the same but DA is 420 grm lighter...no big deal. No need to get DA other than bling. They are more precise than 105's though.

Tri shifters all work well, so you can get 105 thumb shifter and a DA rear DA and you'll be golden in terms of performance. 105 front Der is fine since it only moves in two positions.

I can have any bike build I want and I choose to train/everyday ride a relatively heave but SUPER stiff frame with ultegra shifters/ultegra front Der/DA rear Der/DA casette with ksyrium SL wheels (bullet proof under 210 lbs of pure man)

My race bike build is very different but to sensitive ('spensive) to ride every day on real roads.

I know that what I wrote isnt 100% clear but Im super rushed these days.

Will get back to PM's once I have the time to answer them properly.
...and dude with CX wheel question, dont buy anything till I answer you:thumbup

so I found a few bikes I was considering, which are also within my budget.

any thoughts? :) thanks.

2009 Kestrel Evoke Road

2010 Motobecane Le Champion SL Titanium

2010 Motobecane Le Champion CF Ltd

I'm 6'4" and 230lbs :teeth porker, yes, I know. :laughing

I looked at the more expensive bikes, but honestly, figure I could upgrade/switch out some components with higher end components (ie. ul/da) if I wanted to.
figuring it might be less expensive that route, than to buy a bike with all ul or da comps

Anyone have any road/tri framesets they are interested in selling? Looking for 54-56 sizes and under $300. PM me!

thought you road peeps might wanna have a peek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvq3k9t97nk

duuuuude, holy shit, now I remember you. :D I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who the barfer was that posted this video :laughing

I was wanting to ask if you had a forward mounted video from that same day...or just the rear mounted vid.

cool shots on the port rides. when I get setup, I'll have to come out for some group riding training.

Hey all - I'm in need of a nice roadbike, prefer carbon, ultegra or better, 56-57cm. Anyone have something for sale?

Thanks

Anyone want to go to the Sea Otter?

Some bidness came up, and we can't make it - and of course, everything is nonrefundable. We have two race registrations - one for women's Cat 4 circuit, one for men's Cat 5 circuit - and each of them comes with a four-day pass. If you want to race, or just want to attend, let me know and I'll work out a deal. I just want to not lose my shirt too much. :p

Anyone want to go to the Sea Otter?

Some bidness came up, and we can't make it - and of course, everything is nonrefundable. We have two race registrations - one for women's Cat 4 circuit, one for men's Cat 5 circuit - and each of them comes with a four-day pass. If you want to race, or just want to attend, let me know and I'll work out a deal. I just want to not lose my shirt too much. :p

I'm racing the CAT II Mountain Race. Circuit race should be cool.

hey guys i dont want to thread jack but i think all the road bikes on here should come out and join us for this event.

If you don't know what SLR is we are a non-profit that raises money for injured motorcycle and bicycle riders so they can focus on recovery not rushing back to work.

this is the link. Thanks and ride safe.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=330614

I'm tired of getting punctures on my commute. The roads around SSF have more than their share of broken glass and broken plastic. Can anyone recommend a tough tire that will give me a better chance in those conditions? I have 700c fat tires (28-33).

I'm tired of getting punctures on my commute. The roads around SSF have more than their share of broken glass and broken plastic. Can anyone recommend a tough tire that will give me a better chance in those conditions? I have 700c fat tires (28-33).

Can't vouch for their ability to handle SSF but I do live/work in Oakland, and I've had pretty good luck with these:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1035343_-1_1511003_1511000_400235

But they make adhesive tire liner strips that you might consider as well.

Does anyone have a 10 speed (or 10 speed compatible) rear wheel I can borrow (700x23 Standard Road Bike) for a couple of weeks until I can order an '09 Ultegra rim and build a replacement for my old. Don't care what it is so long as it spins and works with my 10 speed drivetrain.

Would be much appreciated, and will gladly leave a deposit for the wheel.

Thanx, Joe

Continental Gatorskins
Forte thorn resistant tubes 700c (very thick road tubes, have had no punctures w/ them)

Better rim tapes/strips wouldn't really do much if it was punctures from external sources, unless you were hitting a rock and it made your rim snakebite the tube.

Back