• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Hey guys, does anyone have a good lead on a road bike? Connie (Gixxergirl1000) just had her bike stolen. :\

FWIW...

I was given an early 80s lugged Bianchi Grizzly last weekend. I figured it would be a good source of exercise, since I need to get to race weight and I hate sitting around in gyms running to nowhere.

I wasn't expecting to love the sport so much. I've been commuting from Fremont to Palo Alto pretty much daily over the past week. Dropped some cash on a good set of road gear, picked up some touring bags, and installed a set of Crank Brothers candy pedals.

The move to clipless might be a bit premature. I've fallen a couple of times. But I really do appreciate the speed and strength benefits.

Last edited:
Hey guys, does anyone have a good lead on a road bike? Connie (Gixxergirl1000) just had her bike stolen. :\

Sorry to hear that. If she was in or near Berkeley I would have recommended checking out Karims. A lot of stolen bikes end up in that shit of a place.

For those asking about my Y2K 48-50 cm CoMotion for sale:
CoMotion002.jpg

CoMotion004.jpg

CoMotion005.jpg

CoMotion006.jpg
CoMotion007.jpg

CoMotion008.jpg

CoMotion010.jpg

CoMotion011.jpg

CoMotion012.jpg

CoMotion013.jpg

CoMotion014.jpg

CoMotion015.jpg

CoMotion017.jpg

CoMotion018.jpg

CoMotion020.jpg

CoMotion021.jpg

CoMotion022.jpg

I'm going to be riding right now. Up Stevens Canyon rd, Mt. Eden, then up Pierce to HWY 9 to Skyline until I hit around 3500ft there then turn back down and take Saratoga Sunnyvale back home. It's a good night climb

I'm going to be riding right now. Up Stevens Canyon rd, Mt. Eden, then up Pierce to HWY 9 to Skyline until I hit around 3500ft there then turn back down and take Saratoga Sunnyvale back home. It's a good night climb

Hey thats what I did on Sunday. Except I descended 9 to stop sign and took the same route back. Looking at the data from a ride I hit 42mph on 9. Yikes.

Hey thats what I did on Sunday. Except I descended 9 to stop sign and took the same route back. Looking at the data from a ride I hit 42mph on 9. Yikes.
Never really thought to ask this 'till I saw this post, ..... Hmmmm, ..... but just wondering what some of the "Seriously FAST" local, road cyclists consider as Balls-to-the-Wall "top speed"? And I don't mean Lance Armstrong. I mean local riders!!!

Yes, I guess the question is, ... What's your top speed on a bicycle???? :wtf

i thought about getting a meter to see how far/fast im going. thinking about it even more now that i'm riding as a messenger. just for the sake of curiosity! those knog setups look pretty easy and durable.

It was in the mid 40s, on a descent on 1 near Santa Cruz. Can't remember the exact number.

I was in the low 40s on the hilly descent before Pacifica, and I was catching cars, so I couldn't tuck and top out. :p

So I'm not sure how accurate the Cat Eye Mitty's (don't know which model) are but I've seen a hi speed of 59mph down the steep side (Clayton side) of Kerker Pass and I've seen 56mph drafting a small box van down Pleasant Hill Rd. towards Pleasant Hill. Mind you I was pissed that I couldn't hit 60 :rolleyes

Ah yes, but I digress, .... that was a few years ago before I was the slow, breathless, lop of sh!# that I am today. :(

So I'm not sure how accurate the Cat Eye Mitty's (don't know which model) are but I've seen a hi speed of 59mph down the steep side (Clayton side) of Kerker Pass and I've seen 56mph drafting a small box van down Pleasant Hill Rd. towards Pleasant Hill. Mind you I was pissed that I couldn't hit 60 :rolleyes

Ah yes, but I digress, .... that was a few years ago before I was the slow, breathless, lop of sh!# that I am today. :(

Wazzup Joe!

My old best was by the pig farm on the top of the hill on Alhambra going towards Bear Creek. 56 indicated. I'm sure w/ my fat ass now I could 90 with all the momentum.:rofl

Wazzup Joe!

My old best was by the pig farm on the top of the hill on Alhambra going towards Bear Creek. 56 indicated. I'm sure w/ my fat ass now I could 90 with all the momentum.:rofl
LOL Ken. Good to hear from you. I starting to get a bit healthier. Lifting more, starting to get back on the bike. Still not sure what the @#$% I'm gonna do for a living but "Flooring" is out the window.

How you doing?

PS. I could definitely see flying down PF but that road is definitely sketchy on a bicycle. :wtf

Never really thought to ask this 'till I saw this post, ..... Hmmmm, ..... but just wondering what some of the "Seriously FAST" local, road cyclists consider as Balls-to-the-Wall "top speed"? And I don't mean Lance Armstrong. I mean local riders!!!

Ive hit 69 indicated down the 154 in SB. In saddle sustainable solo for a minute...32-36. In a group 40-45.....but thats balls to the wall and not always repeatable. But im no where SERIOUSLY Fast

LOL Ken. Good to hear from you. I starting to get a bit healthier. Lifting more, starting to get back on the bike. Still not sure what the @#$% I'm gonna do for a living but "Flooring" is out the window.

How you doing?

PS. I could definitely see flying down PF but that road is definitely sketchy on a bicycle. :wtf

I'm doing good. :)

best way to go fast downhill- draft a tandem.:p

I'm doing good. :)

best way to go fast downhill- draft a tandem.:p

True, true.

On a straight down hill I hit 50 once few years back. After a pretty bad crash on 84 in spring I take it semi easy now on training rides.

If anyone wants to ride w/ a group for training rides in the Walnut Creek area, PM me. My bro is a die hard cyclist and rides/is involved with a club on Sundays if anyone is looking for a group to ride with.

THE best place to go 50mph on your bike;

The hill down to Crockett from the Cummings Skyway.
Moderately steep, smooth as glass, and not a sharp turn on it.

Wind it up, tuck it in, and dont look at the computer untill the bottom of the hill.

Back