• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Did Palomeras / Sunol today.

palomeras.jpg

So I just moved out to Pescadero and was thinking about getting into road biking and taking advantage of all the fantastic roads out here, as a hobby for after work. Plus it will help get me back into shape. Im living with someone who is into road biking and we determined through some measurements and trying her bike and a loaned bike that i would fit between a 52-54cm bike. And she suggested a triple (whatever that means) to start off with.

Now to make this short and sweet searching CL for bikes in my price range is HORRIBLE. All i see are fixie bikes :|. Now i just cant justify spending over 600$ for something i may or may not enjoy. Like i said im just starting out so i want something cheap but reliable. Am i crazy to think thats even possible?

Help :)

A triple is how many chain rings is up front. They have more gears. You can pick up a pretty nice used road bike for 300 - 400 on craigs. Just got to keep a eye out. I would suggest a late 90's cannondale or specialized.

OH! :p ok. some of the descriptions on the bikes gets me so confused i have no idea what they are talking about.

gotta filter thru all the fixies on CL...but im on the look out. thanks!

Kim I bought my bike for $475, new. Check out Performance Bike. They're a chain but I've been really happy with my bike since I bought it in 2006.

You can probably pick up a fairly sweet Giant OCR 2005-2007 for a really good price. If your searchin' on CL just run a search on the bike section search bar, for OCR.

Also, the suggestion about Performance was a pretty good suggestion. I've had some great luck with a couple of bikes I've gotten from Performance when I first started riding on the road.

Regardless, don't get anything without bringing one of your friends that is fairly "bike knowledgeable" weather it's new or used. Good luck.

Kim I bought my bike for $475, new. Check out Performance Bike. They're a chain but I've been really happy with my bike since I bought it in 2006.

I work at the one in mtn view, they got some pretty good deals on clearance
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1089885_-1_1591008_20000_400320
thats a pretty good womens entry level bike, do that plus team performance for 30 and you get 60 dollars credit so around 570ish. Its a corporation so they dont really let us do anything with pricing but every once in a while coupons pop up.

Cool! I actually have a Fuji Absolute, which is a cyclocross bike. God, I love the HELL out of that thing. I've swapped out a lot of the parts though... buhbye crap Alex rims, hello Mavic open pros, etc etc. It's an urban bomber but it's doing the AIDS Lifecycle this June. :)

I work at the one in mtn view, they got some pretty good deals on clearance
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1089885_-1_1591008_20000_400320
thats a pretty good womens entry level bike, do that plus team performance for 30 and you get 60 dollars credit so around 570ish. Its a corporation so they dont really let us do anything with pricing but every once in a while coupons pop up.

Cool! I actually have a Fuji Absolute, which is a cyclocross bike. God, I love the HELL out of that thing. I've swapped out a lot of the parts though... buhbye crap Alex rims, hello Mavic open pros, etc etc. It's an urban bomber but it's doing the AIDS Lifecycle this June. :)

ooo yeah the absolutes are a nice ride, I think they got them on clearance for around 400? If anyone ever needs parts to get em going there is actually a pretty decent amount of oem take offs and stuff sitting in the back, i just gotta go through If it aint to busy I can usually find you what you need real cheap.

Ive been going back and forth and have decided to first take up mountain biking. I feel its more my "style" :cool if theres any deals on mountain bikes lemme know! :)

Im sure ill take up both hobbies but im leaning towards mountain biking to start off with :)

Do not get a triple, even if you're a beginner. Are you sure you're a 52-54? Are you a super tall lady?
Does the person who measured you know how to properly sit and spin a on a bike?
Maybe up your budget a bit. Most beginners quit cycling after 2 weeks cuz they get a shitty bike to see if they like it. They hate it because the bike is too shitty to enjoy riding....honestly.

Do not get a triple, even if you're a beginner. Are you sure you're a 52-54? Are you a super tall lady?
Does the person who measured you know how to properly sit and spin a on a bike?
Maybe up your budget a bit. Most beginners quit cycling after 2 weeks cuz they get a shitty bike to see if they like it. They hate it because the bike is too shitty to enjoy riding....honestly.

Thats about what we got. She has a 48. i sat on hers and felt "scrunched" we had a borrowed 54 and i felt much more comfortable on that. she pointed out a few things. how things should look ect. Im 5'6'' long legs shorter torso.

But again i changed my mind :p no longer looking for a road bike. im looking for a mountain bike. not sure size wise if its the same.

Kim, may I suggest a cyclo cross bike? I take my bike on and off road.

I have a triple. I fugging love it.

Here is a pic of my new Cervelo S3 and my new Yeti Mt bike. I cant believe how light and responsive these things are. I just got back into cycling and am amazed on how awesome all the new bikes have become. Last time I rode on a consistent bases was back in 1992. I cant wait till the weather gets better to go do some cool long rides. And I going to keep trainig to do some racing later on in the year.

Attachments

• bicycles 001.jpg
    bicycles 001.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 132
  • bicycles 002.jpg
    bicycles 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 121
  • bicycles 006.jpg
    bicycles 006.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 123
  • bicycles 009.jpg
    bicycles 009.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
:drool That cervelo looks sweet.

I'm getting pedals put on today. yay!

Here is a pic of my new Cervelo S3 and my new Yeti Mt bike. I cant believe how light and responsive these things are. I just got back into cycling and am amazed on how awesome all the new bikes have become. Last time I rode on a consistent bases was back in 1992. I cant wait till the weather gets better to go do some cool long rides. And I going to keep trainig to do some racing later on in the year.

Figured I post my bike in all it's winter attire (full fenders). Nothing fancy just a Cannondale.

Can't wait for racing season to start again (for me anyway). :teeth

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 124
I just got my racing license :teeth and raced my first crit last Sunday in Handford :thumbup. (well in over 20 years cause I used to race in my early 20s).

I am racing the Calaveras Time Trial on Saturday and going down to Fresno to race the crit (2 races) on Sunday.

I am planning on racing 2-3 times a month and also want to race my mountain bike in the CCCX series this season.

Is anybody else racing road or MTB this year?

I just got my racing license :teeth and raced my first crit last Sunday in Handford :thumbup. (well in over 20 years cause I used to race in my early 20s).

I am racing the Calaveras Time Trial on Saturday and going down to Fresno to race the crit (2 races) on Sunday.

I am planning on racing 2-3 times a month and also want to race my mountain bike in the CCCX series this season.

Is anybody else racing road or MTB this year?

Wipping myself in to some kind of shape other then round for CAT4 road this season. Winte RR/Crit will be the first races of the season. I am also thinking of doing CatHill, and Mt. Hamilton RR. If I don't die during descent on Hamilton will see whats next on the calendar.

^
Yeah. I am also planning on doing the Wente RR/Crit and the Mt.Hamilton race. I'll see how I feel after climbing that far.

Back