Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Cross posting here. I just started a thread in General for the Santa Rosa Indoor short track race on Saturday, February 25th.

https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10960466#post10960466

SR-INDOOR-shor-track-Feb23_f.jpg

I'll be bringing one of my Brit riding buddies to the Sac Mile. He'll be over here to ride in May, and what could make the experience more American that a mile flat track race.

That's cool Hun. Hope I get a chance to say Hi to you and peterhively.

That's cool Hun. Hope I get a chance to say Hi to you and peterhively.

That would be great!

BTW, I grieve for Calistoga. I know that track has its issues, but I've seen such great racing there, particularly when you used to be able to to infield and get close to the turns. I first saw Shayna Texter there in 2011, and watched her banging away with Briar and another rider going through 3 and 4, and I've been a fan ever since. Another memory is being down in turn 1 the first year of the modern Indian wrecking crew, and Mees was so far in front before the first caution that you could hear his tires howling as arced in. The other riders were so far back that exhaust noise didn't drown it out. That, and I just loved the setting.

Broadcast schedule

2023 Television Schedule for Progressive American Flat Track (all premieres on FS1):

Saturday, March 18 – DAYTONA Short Track I – 10:30 a.m. ET (7:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, March 19 – DAYTONA Short Track II – 12:30 p.m. ET (9:30 a.m. PT)
Saturday, April 1 – Yamaha Senoia Short Track – 7:00 a.m. ET (4:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, April 9 – Arizona Super TT – 1:30 p.m. ET (10:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, April 30 – Mission Dallas Half-Mile – 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT)
Saturday, May 13 – Ventura Short Track – 2:30 p.m. ET (11:30 a.m. PT)
Saturday, May 27 – Mission Sacramento Mile presented by Law Tigers – 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, June 4 – Red Mile – 12:00 p.m. ET (9:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, June 25 – DuQuoin Mile – 1:00 p.m. ET (10:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, July 2 – Lima Half-Mile – 2:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. PT)
Saturday, July 8 – West Virginia Half-Mile – 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, July 16 – Orange County Half-Mile – 2:30 p.m. ET (11:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, July 30 – Bridgeport Half-Mile – 12:30 p.m. ET (9:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, August 6 – SC2 Peoria TT presented by Country Saloon – 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 a.m. PT)
Sunday, August 13 – Buffalo Chip TT – 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, August 20 – CertainTeed Castle Rock TT presented by Law Tigers– 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, September 10 – Springfield Mile I – 10:00 a.m. ET (7:00 a.m. PT)
Sunday, September 10 – Springfield Mile II – 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT)
How to Watch:

Fox Sports and FansChoice.tv are home to Progressive American Flat Track programming. For the 2023 season, all races will premiere in one-hour telecasts on FS1 during highly desirable weekend time slots. The complete schedule can be viewed at https://www.americanflattrack.com/events-foxsports. FansChoice.tv provides livestreaming coverage of every Progressive AFT round at http://www.FansChoice.tv.

We're just seven days from the start of the 2023 AFT season which kicks off with back-to-back races on the short track at Daytona Intenational Raceway next Thursday and Friday evenings.

2023 Schedule of events is HERE.

bikeama generously provided the TV broadcast schedule in the post above.

Lots of changes in the land of WOT opposite lock racing. Class structure has changed to just two divisions: AFT Singles and AFT SuperTwins which essentially absorbed the Production Twins class. The result has been a lot of brand diversity in the top class. The Super Twins Daytona entry list (as of this posting) includes:

6 Indian FTR750s
2 Harley Davidson XG750s
1 Harley Davidson XR750
2 Kawasaki Ninja 650s
2 Royal Enfield 650s (both factory entries)
8 Yamaha MT07s
1 Husky Norden 901 (KTM Duke 890 engine)
3 KTM Dukes (2 x 890 + 1 x 790)

In reality the list includes six different brands due to the KTM/Husky branding scheme. Still, thats a big variety of bikes. Nine V-twins and 16 parallel twins.

Fans have been waiting for an announcement of where stars Briar Bauman and Shayna Texter-Bauman would land after Indian limited their official support. The answer came today in the form social media posts stating Briar will race a KTM 890 in SuperTwins and Shayna will race a KTM 450 in Singles for Rick Warner Racing. Jared Mees remains as the sole factory supported Indian racer.

Lots of questions about how the new class structure, new bikes, and new rider/team combinations will all shake out. The answers will start coming next week.

Have to add this to Map8's post. If you are going to get the FansChoice live package wait until a day or two before the race. Then remember to cancel just after the last race. If you do not cancel they will auto renew for another 6 months when there are no races. I had an copy of my email receipt from last year that did not show auto renewal and was able to have my CC cancel the charge. This year they are making it clear that they will auto renew if you do not cancel.

Going to be an interesting year. Still not sure if anyone can show up to race this year in the premier class. The last few years only a few riders in the top class, where everyone made the main event. Love to see it where a good local rider could make the program.

Thanks for the heads up guys,

Last year I sort of lost track of all the AFT stuff, but this year I will be signing up for fanschoice for sure.

I'm pleased to learn that Shayna is still racing. I was afraid that she would be retiring. Twins have never really seemed to work for her, so it's good she's going back to singles.

What are they doing to slow down the Indians to give the production twins a ghost of a chance?

I'm pleased to learn that Shayna is still racing. I was afraid that she would be retiring. Twins have never really seemed to work for her, so it's good she's going back to singles.

What are they doing to slow down the Indians to give the production twins a ghost of a chance?

They are balancing performance among the different platforms. The FTR750 is restricted to one spec for flywheel weight and rear wheel weight. Other bikes can run a heavier rear wheel and I think the Yamahas can change fly wheels as the cases are modified for easy access. The Yamaha was allowed some freedom in tuning the ECU. Beach and Daniels' bikes have wheel speed sensors and potentiometers measuring suspension travel. I'd have to read the rules again to check all the details.

I don't know if this electronic tuning Yamaha has access to extends to other brands. For example, the KTM has a very sophisticated ECU and IMU so unrestricted tuning would provide a huge advantage and add cost as the race engineers that know how to gain performance from electronics don't come cheap.

I can't begin to imagine how involved any type of traction control tuning would be for Twins in flat track racing. The track changes so much during a race and the tires wear so quick (diameter change) on blue groove Miles and Half Miles that it seems like you would need an infinite number of maps and it would be real easy to go the wrong direction. Add in the dramatic temp drops and air density changes during an evening and the possibilities get mind boggling real fast.

Last edited:
They are balancing performance among the different platforms. The FTR750 is restricted to one spec for flywheel weight and rear wheel weight. Other bikes can run a heavier rear wheel and I think the Yamahas can change fly wheels as the cases are modified for easy access. The Yamaha was allowed some freedom in tuning the ECU. Beach and Daniels' bikes have wheel speed sensors and potentiometers measuring suspension travel. I'd have to read the rules again to check all the details.

I don't know if this electronic tuning Yamaha has access to extends to other brands. For example, the KTM has a very sophisticated ECU and IMU so unrestricted tuning would provide a huge advantage and add cost as the race engineers that know how to gain performance from electronics don't come cheap.

I can't begin to imagine how involved any type of traction control tuning would be for Twins in flat track racing. The track changes so much during a race and the tires wear so quick (diameter change) on blue groove Miles and Half Miles that it seems like you would need an infinite number of maps and it would be real easy to go the wrong direction. Add in the dramatic temp drops and air density changes during an evening and the possibilities get mind boggling real fast.

Thanks for the details. I have been rooting for RE in production twins - as you can imagine - and it's hard to see how it will hold up competitively even in the 1/2 mile.

Thanks for the details. I have been rooting for RE in production twins - as you can imagine - and it's hard to see how it will hold up competitively even in the 1/2 mile.

I love everything about the Royal Enfield AFT effort. The bikes are beautiful, they sound great, and the swingarm they used last year is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen on a race bike. Lewis won at Liima in 2021 and finished third last year. It will be tougher against the SuperTwins this year but they have expanded to two factory riders and are committed to improving.

The AFT website has a great feature on the RE program in which Lewis is very forthcoming.

Have to add this to Map8's post. If you are going to get the FansChoice live package wait until a day or two before the race. Then remember to cancel just after the last race. If you do not cancel they will auto renew for another 6 months when there are no races. I had an copy of my email receipt from last year that did not show auto renewal and was able to have my CC cancel the charge. This year they are making it clear that they will auto renew if you do not cancel.

Going to be an interesting year. Still not sure if anyone can show up to race this year in the premier class. The last few years only a few riders in the top class, where everyone made the main event. Love to see it where a good local rider could make the program.

Thanks for the heads up, Bill.

Just resubscribed to FansChoice using the six month option. I'll cancel immediately after the Labor Day when the season has wrapped up.

For those looking for something to do as it rains today.

Full schedule for today's race here. All times are Eastern.

Practice starts at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
Opening Ceremonies at 4:00 PM Pacific Time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thursday, March 9

11:00 am
Paddock Load-In
Pit Gates Open
Registration Open
1:30 pm
Transponder issue in Tech
1:45 pm
Photo Meeting
2:45 pm
Mandatory Riders' Meeting
3:00 pm
Gates Open for Fans
3:15 pm
Chapel Service
4:00 pm
Mission SuperTwins presented by S&S Cycle
Mission SuperTwins Practice 1
4:06 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles presented by Kicker
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Practice 1
4:14 pm
Hooligans
Hooligans Practice 1
4:20 pm
Mission SuperTwins Practice 2
4:25 pm
Track Prep
4:35 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Qualifying 1
4:43 pm
Hooligans
Hooligans Qualifying 1
4:49 pm
Mission SuperTwins Qualifying 1
4:55 pm
Track Prep
5:05 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Qualifying 2
5:13 pm
Hooligans
Hooligans Qualifying 2
5:19 pm
Mission SuperTwins Qualifying 2
5:45 pm
Pits Open / Fan Walk
7:00 pm
Opening Ceremonies
7:25 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Heat 1
7:30 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Heat 2
7:35 pm
Mission SuperTwins Heat 1
7:40 pm
Mission SuperTwins Heat 2
7:45 pm
Hooligans
Hooligans Heat 1
7:50 pm
Hooligans
Hooligans Heat 2
7:55 pm
Track Prep
8:10 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Al Lamb's Dallas Honda Challenge
8:15 pm
Mission SuperTwins Mission #2Fast2Tasty Challenge
8:20 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles LCQ
8:25 pm
Mission SuperTwins LCQ
8:30 pm
Hooligans
8:38 pm
Track Prep
8:52 pm
AFT Singles Rider Introductions
9:00 pm
Parts Unlimited AFT Singles Main Event (6 Minutes + 2 Laps)
9:08 pm
AFT Singles Victory Podium
9:22 pm
AFT SuperTwins Rider Introductions
9:30 pm
Mission SuperTwins Main Event (10 Minutes + 2 Laps)
9:41 pm
AFT SuperTwins Victory Podium
Note: all detailed weekend schedule times are local time.

Last edited:
After a long grueling day of MotoAmerica Couch Racing already, I have switched over to fanschoicetv for AFT the rest of the day.

I've already flatspotted my ass so I dunno how I'm gonna get through the whole weekend.

Better at least get up long enough to grab some pizza and beer!

After a long grueling day of MotoAmerica Couch Racing already, I have switched over to fanschoicetv for AFT the rest of the day.

I've already flatspotted my ass so I dunno how I'm gonna get through the whole weekend.

Better at least get up long enough to grab some pizza and beer!

Get up and walk around in small circles. :laughing

Pretty cool talk during the practice sessions with Rick Ware of Rick Ware Racing about his many race programs and why he entered AFT with Briar and Shayna.

This is from Flattrack.com on FB. It was a day late for me.

FYI For those that plan on viewing the upcoming season on Fanschoice TV and haven’t subscribed yet there are 2 Special Discount Opportunities available.
For the monthly subscription which $7.99 per month Discount Code AFTFCM will get you the first month for Free.

For the 6 month subscription which is regular $44.99 Discount Code AFTFC6 will get you a $10 off making it $34.99 NOTE: my original notes indicated that they ARE Case Sensitive.

Ordered my monthly subscription yesterday. Hope it helps!

Lemme share a little youtube Flat Track coverage from Daytona.
That KAPLAN AMERICA is everywhere!

AMERICAN FLAT TRACK NATIONALS AT DAYTONA SHORT TRACK 2023

youtu.be/0aoiJBqNhGQ

KILLER BEHIND THE SCENES AFT SHORT TRACK FOOTAGE AT DAYTONA SHORT TRACK 2023

youtu.be/Vh749xubNE4

JARED MEES INDIAN 8x NATIONAL CHAMPION at Daytona Short Track 2023

youtu.be/B0GvhDxUYoA

Watched practice and heats on fanschoice yesterday, and was planning to save the mains for this morning. But they haven't posted them yet? Is that typical? Enjoyed watching the season recaps from last year.

Hoping for a better day for JD Beach today!

They usually post the VOD streams in a few hours. The bad part is they don't break up the sessions into different videos like MA streaming does. You have to drag the cursor through the entire program until you reach the Mains.

My internet dropped right at the end of the SuperTwins main so I'm waiting for the VOD to be posted as well.

Back