• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Bird Strike, beware of growing potholes!

My bad,
https://youtu.be/37XGr9FFH_Y
Should have shed some more speed but I actually didn't see the last bird (vulture) till it was to late, SB SA Valley just as I approached the Junction on my way back @ 08:30ish. Knocked my mirror out of position, shoulder tap and made me check my shorts, otherwise all good!

Views from Mt.Ham were crazy clear for miles! Roads are great! Pot holes SB where the first SB water crossing would normally be, road is wet but no water flow, two wide getting larger potholes, stay center of road to avoid, not bad at low speed, hairy if you're movin'

Last edited:
My bad,
https://youtu.be/eZXQa7b_Rcg
Should have shed some more speed but I actually didn't see the last bird (vulture) till it was to late, SB SA Valley just as I approached the Junction on my way back @ 08:30ish. Knocked my mirror out of position, shoulder tap and made me check my shorts, otherwise all good!

Views from Mt.Ham were crazy clear for miles! Roads are great! Pot holes SB where the first SB water crossing would normally be, road is wet but no water flow, two wide getting larger potholes, stay center of road to avoid, not bad at low speed, hairy if you're movin'
wow! :wow luckily you were not going very fast. At speed could have been a LOT worse (they heavy/BIG birds!) :wow

Sorry, first video upload didn't take, should work now, vultures move slower than crows, should have slowed more for "Pete's sake", I saw them crowded on the road but I thought they were crows, dam vultures are bid suckers. At least it wasn't a cow!

Yikes David... those are some big ol birds.
Glad it was a glancing strike vs a full on splat.
The 919 would of had feathers all over is as would you.

wow! :wow luckily you were not going very fast. At speed could have been a LOT worse (they heavy/BIG birds!) :wow

Yeah, no kidding, I was surprised at the impact on the mirror and it must have spun the bird around into my shoulder cuz I really felt it. I actually feel bad if the bird was injured but not that bad, something about a vulture, I know I shouldn't be that way.

Damn that ride from The Junction to Lick Observatory is beautiful.
I saw some kids wreck their BRZ close to the top. I have NO idea how the car didn't roll down the cliff.

Road conditions were clear aside from few spots of gravel but all easily avoidable.

I might have posted this somewhere else. Skip to 3:15 for BRZ paparazzi stuff. :teeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDGbIYs1-Q

I had a good bird strike on Mines last year, straight to my face. That hurt for weeks!

Glad you just got shoulder checked!

I did a quck run up and down Hamilton yesterday. Lovely, and cooler than I expected. Today looks nice too; I will try to get out to the Junction.

There is some actual construction and one way control neat the bottom of Hamilton between Carothers and Clayton. We waited at the robot, er light, for at least five minutes. The road is one lane where they are putting in a retaining wall.

Last edited:
Yesterday

IMG_20170623_172849_661_zpsghyxhlvo.jpg

The road was great yesterday.

The road was great yesterday.

And today!

ErictheRed and I rode Mt Hamilton this morning and I might say it was spectacular. There is a significant depression in the pavement going up, just past Kincaid they were fixing. And a bunch of dirt in the road where someone was doing donuts a little higher.

Still, the temperature was cool, the air was clear and the sky was blue. Wedid Sierra, Felter and Calveras after that. Calaveras has a bunch of patching going on, so it was not the usual fun. A different fun.

Must repeat.

Last edited:
And today!

ErictheRed and I rode Mt Hamilton this morning and I might say it was spectacular. There is a significant depression in the pavement going up, just past Kincaid they were fixing. And a bunch of dirt in the road where someone was doing donuts a little higher.

Still, the temperature was cool, the air was clear and the sky was blue. Wedid Sierra, Felter and Calveras after that. Calaveras has a bunch of patching going on, so it was not the usual fun. A different fun.

Must repeat.

Yep, good times! We even ran into an unannounced BARF Social Event. I nearly didn't recognize anyone, people have shed a few pounds. Looking great!

Attachments

• IMAG2726.jpg
    IMAG2726.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 79
Back