• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

I wonder where they got their hair done. I want that'doo.

-Looks like we had brush fires since Sunday. Starting couple of turns after the Grants ranch. Fire crew were still working on putting out the fire
- Signs about Mines being closed on the 7th between the county line and the Junction. Probably they will be fixing the road erosion.

And today!

ErictheRed and I rode Mt Hamilton this morning and I might say it was spectacular. There is a significant depression in the pavement going up, just past Kincaid they were fixing. And a bunch of dirt in the road where someone was doing donuts a little higher.

Still, the temperature was cool, the air was clear and the sky was blue. Wedid Sierra, Felter and Calveras after that. Calaveras has a bunch of patching going on, so it was not the usual fun. A different fun.

Must repeat.

Mines is good, usual couple dirty corners, they patched several potholes but no new hazards, road closed July 8, 7am-7pm, hopefully to fix the area with the trench plate, no water crossings, up to MtHam, clean and fun!

Did a little early morning run up to the Junction on July 4th (original Brexit). Road was pretty clean and there were no cows or bulls to be seen. There were a hell of a lot of bicycles up there but they were all cool and stayed to the right.

Looks like there will be some work done on the bridge (A2Z ranch), on the back side of Mt. Hamilton. They have put up singes and traffic light will be installed during the construction.

Mines was closed today as advertised work being done on the section that was lost to erosion.

Made it up about 25 miles or so then hit the road repair and turned around.

Still a good (but hot) ride!!!

Saw you up there at the traffic control light yesterday, newbee. Didn't expect to see you so late in the day!

The restaurant was closed today. Is it always closed on Sundays ?

No, but it's kinda a small Mom & Pop type establishment, so stuff happens. To be honest I'm impressed they can stay in business with the trickle of people who pass through. James, who I believe was one of the owners or managers, also said no one lives on the premises, yet I've stopped by on my early morning runs to have dogs and people take note of my stopping out front of the gates.

Last edited:
I had a dish washer installation appointment and of course they did not show up and did not bother to call either. That was pretty late for me...
Saw you up there at the traffic control light yesterday, newbee. Didn't expect to see you so late in the day!

The restaurant was closed today. Is it always closed on Sundays ?

Maybe you were too early? Denise, at the counter, served up a delicious burger lunch for me today!

Roads were near empty but for suicide squirels and the occasional road runner bird. Meep - meep!!

Road is fully repaired between the Junction and Livermore. Area where it was washed out and covered with the trench plate is repaired and road is a little dirty right there but in very good shape. In fact I paced (no brakes) the entire 28 mile stretch from Tesla to the Junction in 38 minutes with no problem. Everything I covered from Livermore to Mt.Hamilton and back is in really good shape! Stop sign and cones in one spot on the back side of Mt.Ham. Looks like during the week they have signal lights and construction at the one lane bridge but it was uncontrolled and open Sunday AM. Wish Calaveras was open so I could do the loop.

Last edited:
Calaveras is closed too; hadn't heard that one (or don't recall...derp) :rolleyes

It's been closed to thru traffic for more than a year now, I think, for work on the dam. It used to be open on weekends, but that ended this past winter as well. All the fun stuff is still accessible from the south, just can't connect to Sunol.

It's been closed to thru traffic for more than a year now, I think, for work on the dam. It used to be open on weekends, but that ended this past winter as well. All the fun stuff is still accessible from the south, just can't connect to Sunol.

that's right, forgot. I stand (sit) corrected...:ride

Road is good now, but what is it about the sound of a thumper that makes a chipmunk want to break cover and run? It's ridiculous.

Plus goats on the roadway today.

Road is good now, but what is it about the sound of a thumper that makes a chipmunk want to break cover and run? It's ridiculous.
Those are Kamikazi squirrels and they do that for any vehicle. If you're the first one through in the morning you might see more than a hundred of them.

Back