• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

I see that you refused the motorcycling communities advice and got a 600cc sport bike... : |

I'll buy a ninja 250 too. Next month I get my next disbursement of my student loans and financial aid... :burnout

Edit: Still got your brother's 250 for sale?

Last edited:
Went today instead. Redwood -> Palomares -> Mines over mt hammy then jammed 880 back. Roads are surprisingly clean for this time of the year. Chicken sandwich at the junction is bomber.

Is redwood open???

edit: it is not, reading is hard...

Last edited:
Edited my original post. Side note, I'll be down at The Junction around noon tomorrow. Will be riding with the wife so it'll be a scenic pace. Say hi if you see me on the old 2007 KTM 690 that can somehow get 2 people around.

Sounds good.
I'll be out there too with my gf on the back. Not sure on a time yet... but I'll keep an eye out for you.

Ride safe :thumbup

I will likely make it to The Junction noon on Sunday, dressed all Kenny.

I'll be going up for the first time on sunday. Is there huge amounts of gravel? and how cold does it get up there? i'll be heading up starting in san jose around 12:30-1

I'll be going up for the first time on sunday. Is there huge amounts of gravel? and how cold does it get up there? i'll be heading up starting in san jose around 12:30-1
Very few corners have gravel, but they don't exactly post signs to show you which ones, so you have to watch every single one, because that might be the one. If it's next to a hillside, or a place where trucks with trailers cut the corner on the inside there is more chance of gravel on the road.

Whatever you wear that is warm enough leaving your place will be warm enough up in the hills. Sometimes it's warmer up there than down here.

Forecast in San Jose is 72. It won't be very cold up there. If you get to The Junction, it is often warmer there than in San Jose.

Was absolutely beautiful today. From Livermore to The Junction, there was no gravel patches that required avoiding, couple pine cones, and 2 water crossings. For Mines, that's incredibly clean. Got the chicken sandwich and the wife got the burger. Both were good but the chicken sandwich was spicy!

Only thing that is not obvious as you approach it is that there is some fine sand on the last few corners, just before the observatory at the top of Mt Hamilton. ..

The weather and roads were perfect. Can't believe these are our winters.
GF and I went up to the observatory, careful going down into San Jose, lot of dirt.

I believe we got passed by Darrell on his S1000XR doing a wheelie.
I got some pretty good footage of in on the GoPro.

Went up sunday. Great weather and road. I'll have to do it again for sure. I did hit the big ass pothole but I didn't go down so no biggie.
Buddy cracked his radiator but cruised down in neutral and got a tow.
Sweet view up top. Dirt wise wasn't bad at all.
Junction had pretty good food as well. (Backyard bird is 8/10)

It gets cold quickly after sundown on that side of the mountain.

When I left my house on Sunday around 4:30 PM it was in the 70s, so I wore a perforated leather jacket.

San Antonio Valley Road was in the 50s.

From the county line to the 15 mile mark from Livermore on Mines it got down to 48°F just after 6pm.

By the 10 mile mark from Livermore it went up to 60, which felt so warm and toasty compared to just a few minutes ago.

When I passed through Milpitas around 7 PM I saw up to 74°F.

Last edited:
Back