• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Does anyone know if there is a schedule from the county of when mines road is swept? It’d be great to know for ride planning.

They sweep it??

I did not know. Planning on a Sunday ride there.
Be sweet to know if it was swept:teeth

I just rode it on sunday. The road is as clean now as it gets. Go and enjoy.

It has been pretty clean...

[youtube]jkHu-vovky4[/youtube]

[youtube]03_bxWjcA9o[/youtube]

[youtube]yzdRSl98rV4[/youtube]

Road was perfectly clean last Saturday, 9/21, like CrazyBiker said. Except for one absolutely giant Tarantula that I ran over on my way from The Junction to Livermore. Thought the thing was a squirrel at first.

They sweep it??

I did not know. Planning on a Sunday ride there.
Be sweet to know if it was swept:teeth

I think the county occasionally runs a sweeper through there for regular maintenance. But, yeah, I was asking if anyone could confirm since that would be a great way to plan a ride on that stretch :ride

Thanks everyone for the road report. :thumbup

Last edited:
haven't been out there lately, but I've never seen a sweeper going back to the mid-'70s. Think they just let vehicles sweep the two lines clean...

I think they probably sweep it just after a repave/repair, & that's it. :(

I go Livermore to the junction to lick (and back) nearly every weekend.

It's all in great shape.

Oh, except
when people do donuts with cars and fill the road with gravel
and the giant cows get loose and wander on the road
and helicopters land in the middle of the road
and the rancher dudes won't let you pass (most do)
and the stupid deer run out in front of you
and 15 slow bikes (vtwin flavor usually) are in front of you
and don't want you to pass

But the water crossings have long since dried up, so there's that.

Enjoy your ride :cool

It's doesn't look like this anymore :laughing

3q5UJj0h.jpg

As of today 9/27 mines is clean except for a dead deer on the last left hand bend just before the fire station heading toward Junction. But Mt. Hamilton closer to San Jose the road is being asphalted in several sections. The road is slick on the side going to San Jose.

Last edited:
As of today 9/27 mines is clean except for a dead deer on the last left hand bend just before the fire station heading toward Junction. But Mt. Hamilton closer to San Jose the road is being asphalted in several sections. The road is slick on the side going to San Jose.

There's been some interesting new bumps and potholes that I hope they're fixing.

They have swept it for bicycle events...

But yeah, the conditions vary, and the roadbed is moving in some places. I do not think it was engineered for our three ton SUV’s...

The SJ side was engineered for horse drawn wagons. :laughing

And without them knowing it. Supermoto’s. :teeth

The SJ side was engineered for horse drawn wagons. :laughing

And without them knowing it. Supermoto’s. :teeth

With a maximum grade so they could get telescope parts up to the observatory...

Out of curiosity, I wrote to Alameda County and here is their reply - looks like part of Mines is going to be swept 10-3-19 . Friday would be a good day to :ride :thumbup

"Hello,

We do not have a street sweeping schedule for rural roads. We generally sweep these roads on an as needed basis as well as schedule such roads on what is considered the fifth week of the month when applicable. Scheduled street sweeping is done in areas where street sweeping signs are posted within our jurisdiction, normally this is where curb and gutters exist. In any case we will have the area in question scheduled for sweeping on Thursday 10-3-19.

Our jurisdiction ends at approx MM 20.0, at the Santa Clara county line.

Thank you"

Last edited:
They did a great job "sweeping." The Alameda side is damn durty. Like, middle of winter dirty... And we haven't even gotten any rain yet.

They did a great job "sweeping." The Alameda side is damn durty. Like, middle of winter dirty... And we haven't even gotten any rain yet.

Yikes :( looks like the info they sent me was not reliable. Oh well, I tried to do a good deed. Bummed.

I rode from SJ to Livermore on Sat 10/5 and thought Mines was fairly clean. :dunno

Back