• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Check out the edges on that thing...like a drag slick, no need for a kickstand. :laughing

That's part of the reason why it's a terrible awful idea.

A Vstrom of all bikes is light enough that it won't eat rear tires like the big touring machines would... or if you didn't mind the harsh ride the thinking motorcyclist would just get a "GT" version of their favorite sport touring tire and take it easy on the throttle.

Motorcycle tires inherent shape reduce the chance of hydroplaning, so if a rider is worried about riding in the wet on a worn tire... they are better off on a 2/32 moto tire than a worn car tire (given the larger the tire the more important the sipes are to removing water).

Along with the sidewall not being made for the same load forces a motorcycle cornering at speed will emit...

It's just a bad idea all around.

A Vstrom of all bikes is light enough that it won't eat rear tires like the big touring machines would... or if you didn't mind the harsh ride the thinking motorcyclist would just get a "GT" version of their favorite sport touring tire and take it easy on the throttle.

Motorcycle tires inherent shape reduce the chance of hydroplaning, so if a rider is worried about riding in the wet on a worn tire... they are better off on a 2/32 moto tire than a worn car tire (given the larger the tire the more important the sipes are to removing water).

My vstrom eats rear tires. I'm lucky if I get 3,000 miles out of a tire. Last year a friend and I did a 9 day ride. Both left with brand new rear tires on our wee's. Returned home bald as a bowling ball at under 2500 miles.

I am interested, have you ever ridden a bike with a darkside setup?

Presuming the tire is a radial; .. the contact patch is big. The owner appears to be experienced in it's use. Plus that day's ride up the hill makes him some what of a extreme cyclist.

Bias+vs.+Radial+Tire+contact+pressure+distribution.jpg

Last edited:
My vstrom eats rear tires. I'm lucky if I get 3,000 miles out of a tire. Last year a friend and I did a 9 day ride. Both left with brand new rear tires on our wee's. Returned home bald as a bowling ball at under 2500 miles.

I am interested, have you ever ridden a bike with a darkside setup?

Sounds like there's something wrong with your tire pressure gauge. Vstrom doesn't have tire eating weight or power.

And no... you couldn't pay me to swing my leg over darkside'd bike.

this doesn't surprise me :laughing

Sounds like there's something wrong with your tire pressure gauge. Vstrom doesn't have tire eating weight or power.

And no... you couldn't pay me to swing my leg over darkside'd bike.

More like he is much faster than you think :laughing
Mines/mt hammy is quite abrasive and tires don't last much if you are fast regardless of motor size

You sound sure about this.

this doesn't surprise me :laughing

Not at all :rofl "Where did FreeRyde go?!?" :ride

Even when I was trying to burn the rear tire on my F800ST the Michelin Road 5 still lasted 4500mi... really only did spirited riding on that setup, plenty of launches and etc

Which is a bike that is heavier and makes more power than the Vstrom...

Unless you are doing burnouts or riding TKC80s down the freeway at 85mph for a thousand miles (which is not the right tire for the job) you should have plenty of meat after 2500mi.

I volunteer to follow FreeRyde on the back roads to verify his baldness. (Baldness of the tire too if that helps with the debate.)

Mines/mt hammy is quite abrasive and tires don't last much if you are fast regardless of motor size
You bet it is. Worst 1-day mileage I ever got was back in 00' on the brand new zx12r Ninja. From here to the top of the mountain via Mines, back out Del Puerto to Patterson for gas, then back via Del Puerto/Mines to home in SLZ in one 5-6 hour hot day of joyous dicing it up.

I was astonished to see the brand spanking new D207 Dunflop rear 200/50 down to the cords upon home arrival. The odometer recorded ~400 miles of mostly dicing it up w/some other Ninjas & Hayabusas. Yes, I was uh, hanging the rear way out all day. Ooops. :teeth

Went to the harder compound after that....

Wow 200! That's like a car tire width!

I think the Mines section has the more abrasive stuff the surface does change quite a bit from smooth to the coarser stuff and the bumpity stuff.

From the Junction to the observatory is the worst if you are on the gas.

Set your tire pressures too high or low and you pay the price.

Nice memory EBD. Must have been a great day. :thumbup

It depends where you ride. Mt Hamilton eats tires, some years more than others(depends on chipsealing)
For example when I commute only I get 12 k from front and about 6k from rear on my Tiger 800. If just fun riding - 4k front, 4k rear. But its triple and more forgiving on tires.
I used to have Cagiva Gran Canyon - 3k rear at most. Vstrom about the same.

I volunteer to follow FreeRyde on the back roads to verify his baldness. (Baldness of the tire too if that helps with the debate.)

You don't even need to ride with me to verify my baldness. The polished dome shines bright from a distance of 75 yards or so. :)

Back to Mt. Hamilton, I have noticed that this last year tire wear has decreased a bit as the various chipseals are now bedded in nicely. My R6 BT16 rear lasted a solid 5 or so Mines/Hammy rides!

Last edited:
Having now ridden with you, I understand why you’re so lean. Your tire budget can’t leave much left over for food. :laughing

Wow 200! That's like a car tire width!

I think the Mines section has the more abrasive stuff the surface does change quite a bit from smooth to the coarser stuff and the bumpity stuff.
The Dunflop 200/50 Sportsmax was the OEM standard for the 00' ZX12R. The Dunlop 200/50 "Sportsmax." It was the only certified tire that would last.

Almost everyone went to a 190 because it would speed steering & last almost as long (more if you cooled it.)

The problem was folks like me ripping them up. The BIGGER problem was the crazy Germans on the Autobahn. They would wick it up to near 200mph, then hold it for 20-30 miles in high heat conditions. Caused numerous failures.

From the Junction to the observatory is the worst if you are on the gas.

Set your tire pressures too high or low and you pay the price.

Nice memory EBD. It must have been a great day. :thumbup
It really was; shortly after quitting racing & going back to street riding Mines was one of the few places I could wick up on the big Ninja.

The bike was so loony. Almost 200hp was friggin' awesome! It's still available too as the fella who got it from me told me he'd sell it back for the same price ($5K.) He doesn't ride it much for the same reason; got old, don't fit anymore...:laughing

You don't even need to ride with me to verify my baldness. The polished dome shines bright from a distance of 75 yards or so. :)

Back to Mt. Hamilton, I have noticed that this last year tire wear has decreased a bit as the various chipseals are now bedded in nicely. My R6 BT16 rear lasted a solid 5 or so Mines/Hammy rides!

Check your tire pressure yo. Can't possibly go through a tire that fast on a bike like that :x

Last edited:
Check your tire pressure yo. Can't possibly go through a tire that fast on a bike like that :x

200hp sportbike /=/ 65 hp Vstrom

not surprising a sportbike being ridden fast on sport tires on a chip seal road chews them up in no time.

but a strom on non-chip seal highways shouldn't, but I guess I dunno :dunno

Back