• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

200hp sportbike /=/ 65 hp Vstrom

not surprising a sportbike being ridden fast on sport tires on a chip seal road chews them up in no time.

but a strom on non-chip seal highways shouldn't, but I guess I dunno :dunno

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. There are so many factors in what goes in to tire wear, horsepower and weight only being two of them. And an R6 is right around 110 HP, so there is that.

And I understand that you have 3 years of riding experience (30K mi) on 6 bikes, so that does give you a nice understanding, but be careful when flying that "there is no way" flag.

BTW, my last ride up and over Hammie two weeks ago, besides being awesome with spirited riders, was my weakest flog up and down (thanks for waiting!!). When I left, I though I had enough rubber for my 180 mile ride. When I got home, i could just make out chord. Damn that road chews up tires :teeth Looks like I'll be asking Santa for a new rear tire :ride

Having now ridden with you, I understand why you’re so lean. Your tire budget can’t leave much left over for food. :laughing

:laughing

G is fun to ride with for sure:thumbup

Actually now that I think about it I rented a Polaris slingshot one year and drove it on mines/hamilton and when i took it back to the guy the cords were starting to show on the back haha. But I seriously think he shoulda replaced that tire and I bet Slingshots eat up tires like crazy but at least you only need to replace one.

Don't forget about torque. You can have a lotta HP but torque is what gets you going. The R6 might have a lotta HP but you gotta rev that sucker to get the power. Versus like something like VROD that just pulls. I've pulled away from a stoplight faster than a GSXR600 on my KLR650 because all it's got is torque but once the GSXR gets going it's a rocket. All that torque puts a lot of stress on the tire.

but be careful when flying that "there is no way" flag.

I guess for perspective I have a friend who couldn't believe I tore through a Road 5 in 4500mi given his lasted him 10k... but I do ride a fair bit of chip seal (aside from Mines, Stage, Tunitas) and I did my fair share of launches down freeway on ramps and the like. Still managed to wear it down the middle first.

I suppose if I kept the bike longer I'd have gotten more comfortable on it and maybe the second go around, chewed up the rear tire in less time than that. I'm sure the relatively large 180 tire for power (85hp) prevented it from getting too hot.

So I can see it now...

The chip sealed roads around here are like riding on a wood rasp. Add hard cornering and hard drives to the mix and tires don't last long.

Anyone gone to The Junction or Lick Observatory this week?
Might go out on Sunday to break in the new suit and I'm curious on how the roads are looking.

I'll join you Sunday. I dont mind a little rain but not going to ride in a down pour.

Anyone gone to The Junction or Lick Observatory this week?
Might go out on Sunday to break in the new suit and I'm curious on how the roads are looking.

I'll join you Sunday. I dont mind a little rain but not going to ride in a down pour.

I agree on that. I will probably be riding in from the Livermore side, but before all of this, I have to do a valve adjustment.

I'll keep you posted

I rode Hamilton+Mines on Monday on a Can Am Spyder F3 I found on Turo. Glad I had three wheels that day. It was dry but all the shadows there was water. Some dirt on the upper section of Hamilton. I'd imagine it is still like that now as the sun hasn't really shown itself all week. It sure was comfy I rode Hamilton, Mines, Patterson Pass, Palomares, Niles Canyon, Calaveras, and Felter/Sierra that day and I wasn't that tired at the end. My only gripe is that it has too much stability control, you can litterally just chuck it into a corner and it will brake and pull power on you. I was hoping it would be more like riding a quad but it isn't because of the stability control. I guess it good to keep noobs out of trouble.

1209191103b_HDR-X2.jpg

Was foggy on Monday also had to ride through the clouds but when you get on top of them the weather was great!
1209191103a_HDR-XL.jpg

1209191135_HDR-XL.jpg

Stopped by the Junction for lunch was great. Probably only saw like 2 bikes ride by.
1209191331a-XL.jpg

1209191247-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, the Junction O Rings. Yum. And the gift that keeps on giving.

Hades, thanks for the update and tips. I will take it easy on the WR.

I've never had the onion rings, if i make it out I might have to order them along with a western bacon burger :love

I had the classic and fish taco was great :)

1209191301-XL.jpg

BTW that Spyder was only like $66 dollars (after all the extra fees and stuff) to rent what a bargain. It came with 200 miles also, I rode it 180 miles! It's the only thing that you can "ride" on Turo that I could find, but I always wanted to take one for a long ride. Its great for everything but really twisty stuff because of the stability control, also you can't split lanes on it's so wide but that wasn't a problem I did a good job of avoiding traffic that day! I'd love to take one of these camping! It's like a lazy boy with wheels haha!

Last edited:
I had the classic and fish taco was great :)

1209191301-XL.jpg

BTW that Spyder was only like $66 dollars (after all the extra fees and stuff) to rent what a bargain. It came with 200 miles also, I rode it 180 miles! It's the only thing that you can "ride" on Turo that I could find, but I always wanted to take one for a long ride. Its great for everything but really twisty stuff because of the stability control, also you can't split lanes on it's so wide but that wasn't a problem I did a good job of avoiding traffic that day! I'd love to take one of these camping! It's like a lazy boy with wheels haha!

I've always been curious about the fish tacos...

Wow that's not bad at all but I dunno if i could ever swing a leg over one of those..

I've always been curious about the fish tacos...

Wow that's not bad at all but I dunno if i could ever swing a leg over one of those..

Yes, fish tacos next time for sure.

The Syder sounds like it good bang for the buck! Maybe for a 2-up adventure? But, ya, no.

I remember overhearing someone walk up to one and say, "Hey! I really like your tricycle!" :rofl

Last edited:
I enjoy riding quads and this the closest thing you can get to riding one on the pavement. But you know Merlin he gets a kick out of riding anything different. I wish there was a Niken I could rent I rode the Niken GT for a demo ride and it was super comfortable. That'd be my sport touring bike of choice maybe.

I mean it's a tricycle... with a 1330cc engine it must be wimpy.

Rode Mines last week on my WR250X and a buddy on his Buell Ulysses. We held it WFO the entire time.

Some wet/muddy spots, but nothing worth really slowing down for.

Also, the Niken GT is not a motorcycle or a bike. Nor is it a touring bike or motorcycle.

Last edited:
Rode my weekly Calaveras/Hammy/Mines loop last Sunday, in the pouring rain for at least half the ride at least.

Watch out for a couple sand covered sections just below the Observatory on San Jose side, not sure why it's there (supposedly a seasonal Caltrans thing, :cooldon't quote me boy I ain't said sh!t) but it sure could be sneaky.

Otherwise, there was a couple flooded shoulders on Mines towards the end, so take it easy coming out of blind turns to avoid hydroplaning.

Rode Mines last week on my WR250X and a buddy on his Buell Ulysses. We held it WFO the entire time.

Some wet/muddy spots, but nothing worth really slowing down for.

Also, the Niken GT is not a motorcycle or a bike. Nor is it a touring bike or motorcycle.

Holy shit you have a wr250x?? So awesome, I've been looking for one on Craigslist

Rode my weekly Calaveras/Hammy/Mines loop last Sunday, in the pouring rain for at least half the ride at least.

Watch out for a couple sand covered sections just below the Observatory on San Jose side, not sure why it's there (supposedly a seasonal Caltrans thing, :cooldon't quote me boy I ain't said sh!t) but it sure could be sneaky.

Otherwise, there was a couple flooded shoulders on Mines towards the end, so take it easy coming out of blind turns to avoid hydroplaning.

Got it thanks for the update :thumbup

Back