• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Rode Mines last week on my WR250X and a buddy on his Buell Ulysses. We held it WFO the entire time.

Some wet/muddy spots, but nothing worth really slowing down for.

Also, the Niken GT is not a motorcycle or a bike. Nor is it a touring bike or motorcycle.

Have you ridden one? It is very much like a motorcycle like how the Light Bee is a motorcycle as well get over it. It leans like a motorcycle and it will fall over like one also. If you hopped on it without looking at the front end and rode it you wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited:
Have you ridden one? It is very much like a motorcycle like how the Light Bee is a motorcycle as well get over it. It leans like a motorcycle and it will fall over like one also. If you hopped on it without looking at the front end and rode it you wouldn't know the difference.

You wouldn't know the difference.
I certainly would.

Given Merlin's rather extensive riding history, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in this discussion.

However, if Kuksol & Merlin just HAVE to discuss this behind the barn, I've got my $$$ on Merlin.

Given Merlin's rather extensive riding history, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in this discussion.

However, if Kuksol & Merlin just HAVE to discuss this behind the barn, I've got my $$$ on Merlin.

Not particularly skilled ad gambling are you?

Motorcycles have two wheels.

Electric motorcycles don't have optional pedal kits.

I would love to test ride the Niken also.

I did test rode a Piaggio MP3 250 for about 15 minutes.

I felt a sluggishness at low speed and that goes away once the speed picks up. And I don't know if its a mental or physical feel, but I felt that extra confidence in the corner right away by having 2 front contact patches, like you don't have to be too careful with the front end, you can have bad technique or ride very aggressive and get away with it.

I would like to try this in the dirt...
[YOUTUBE]H-NY98K5dXM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
We test rode a Can Am Spyder. I actually kind of liked it. It does take some getting used to. You use a lot of outside leg to brace yourself to keep from being thrown off the outside in turns. But what I really liked, was having my wife pilot it while I can relax in the back having a beer and , for once, looking at the scenery.

Mad

This was a motorcycle thread right up to post #749.
Now, off to the sink with it. :laughing
:later

Hades, an electric moped that is made up of a majority of mountain bike parts is most certainly not a motorcycle. Comparatively, the can-am spyder, which has a motorcycle engine, is also not a motorcycle.

Just know that most folks that click on the Mt. Hamilton thread are well versed riders, who often enjoy riding at a spirited pace. The vehicles that you might enjoy derping around on, most certainly do not meet many criteria that hardcore enthusiasts lust after.

Please take this personally, I don't like your internet personality. There are other people on this forum that ride more than you, and who have more experience in all facets of motorcycling. While you are entitled to your opinion, continously pushing two-three wheel oddities throughout BARF will likely get kickback from this curmudgeon and others like him.

Last edited:
Hades, an electric moped that is made up of a majority of mountain bike parts is most certainly not a motorcycle. Comparatively, the can-am spyder, which has a motorcycle engine, is also not a motorcycle.

Just know that most folks that click on the Mt. Hamilton thread are well versed riders, who often enjoy riding at a spirited pace. The vehicles that you might enjoy derping around on, most certainly do not meet many criteria that hardcore enthusiasts lust after.

Please take this personally, I don't like your internet personality. There are other people on this forum that ride more than you, and who have more experience in all facets of motorcycling. While you are entitled to your opinion, continously pushing two-three wheel oddities throughout BARF will likely get kickback from this curmudgeon and others like him.

Ive met and ridden with him several times, he’s a legit gearhead. So what if he likes different stuff?

200hp sportbike /=/ 65 hp Vstrom

not surprising a sportbike being ridden fast on sport tires on a chip seal road chews them up in no time.

but a strom on non-chip seal highways shouldn't, but I guess I dunno :dunno

I have annihilated rear tires on a vstrom in like 1300 miles. It is indeed possible. This was a three day ride with freeryde up in far northern California. Some chip seals but a lot more nice asphalt roads as well.

Oh, and a trip with sfmc John got similar mileage.

So anyway, has anyone been up Hamilton lately? Have they put sand down on the summit? That usually catches people off guard.

this thread makes me check the weather report for this weekend :cool

So anyway, has anyone been up Hamilton lately? Have they put sand down on the summit? That usually catches people off guard.

Jeez Patty,gonna buy you new reading glasses for X'mas :rofl

Post#758
Rode my weekly Calaveras/Hammy/Mines loop last Sunday, in the pouring rain for at least half the ride at least.

Watch out for a couple sand covered sections just below the Observatory on San Jose side, not sure why it's there (supposedly a seasonal Caltrans thing, :cooldon't quote me boy I ain't said sh!t) but it sure could be sneaky...

:wtf You sound like a mean, old church lady.

Five days have elapsed since then!!!
O_O

The sand near the Observatory is the result of the snow up there 3 weeks ago. It was still on the road 1.5 days ago, and expect it to remain there thru out the winter. (I’m pretty lenient but the real riders clicking on this thread may object to you asking about a little sand on the road.) :laughing

Back