• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

Oh G-really? Getting hitched?
Marrying your motorcycles is the intelligent choice.

Today is very

I think it's a very hot T... or Wednesday, so...

Timing chain on a VR6 is an engine out job. Many, many labor hours.

... so I'm about to plug in the code scanner and check live data in the eng/trans , blocks 208 and 209 to see camshaft intake/exhaust adjustment... and i'm scurred ... what if they show the chain is too-far-gone ?!!?

what could happen to the engine?!?!?

Worst case, guides fail, chain jumps, pistons hit valves, engine ceases to run. Then it's a valve job at least, whole engine at worst.

yep... I see... i'm hoping it won't get there?!? : |

Group 208 field 3 , shows Intake Camshaft offset is "-2.00 kW .. " so it's still working.

but I assume 0 or 1 degrees is better.

[ this is at idle, 680 rpm but the car was not too warm. some youtube shows the car having 600-640 RPM ]

--

phew I think this one works for today. unless that "adaptation" binary field is that important...

Last edited:
... so I'm about to plug in the code scanner and check live data in the eng/trans , blocks 208 and 209 to see camshaft intake/exhaust adjustment... and i'm scurred ... what if they show the chain is too-far-gone ?!!?

what could happen to the engine?!?!?

Hmmmm... How many miles on the car and do you really love it? What's the resale value? Might be time to say goodbye to an old friend and get something else. What are the replacement parts going to cost, not just the "chain" parts? Do you do have a garage (and time and tools) to work on it if you decide to do it yourself?

If doing if yourself my guess is about $1.5k - $2k in parts once you get it all torn down to get to the timing chain and find other things needing replacement too. How's the tranny and clutch?

As for the "what could happen to the engine?" IMHO, if it's running rough, making unnatural noises coming from the back of engine, timing fluctuates, etc... hang on to your lugnuts 'cause a Billy Idol and Keith Moon hotel kinda party ain't to far down the road!

Marriages and potentially blown engines, ok, I'm all caught up on things I didn't see coming :wow

Hello from Tehachapi, if I wasn't so wiped out from the day, and a bit pensive to do so, I'd wander over the VFW for a beer or two, seems they were open when I was out earlier. Then again, never done any warring foreign or otherwise so, I dunno if I'm allowed.

potentially blown engines, ok,

no! it's doing okay no!? :laughing

just chill, the VFW must be a strange place to go to.

Hmmmm... How many miles on the car and do you really love it? What's the resale value? ...

If doing if yourself my guess is about $1.5k - $2k in parts once you get it all torn down to get to the timing chain and find other things needing replacement too. How's the tranny and clutch?

it's 150k mi . yes, kinda love it, they nogonna make those any more, only 5000 made.

"should have" let it go but in theory we need it (sometimes)

what hurts (would hurt) is that it has brand new front suspension, sway bar, even steering rack and 4 (yes four) control arms, so I've already given major $$$$ for it. A BIG part of the value already.

resale value is funny. 8k? 12k? No idea.

but I can't fix a whole engine chain by myself, not even with one more person at home :)

additionally the tranny may be a problem. there is this liquid that's always on the bottom cover... :dunno but it still runs after 37 kmi after the last tranny fluid change?!? :loco

AP1GczNDqMCvaf5qgL4jO49b3g9DiXTywDAwa_KeK95x8u3WbW85IKw63ZNPsmbprToybDVun9HUOo9gBeqOnCKBOiCwrbsB_pIJs0lt5WUIFyvrBA081vlTkcojXoEr5p5qvgJiC2b-Q75BDwZLN-iZceo4Yg=w1560-h878-s-no

the big silver ribbed part is the tranny, the black "plastic" piece is a cover of a this piece that's part of the tranny and you can see the seeping on the two corners... also the left front control arm in the right bottom of the pic
is this leak too big?!? :wow

Last edited:
I guess there's a bad seal weeping there somewhere. If fluid levels aren't requiring constant top ups, probably nothing to really worry about. Downside, timing chain service will be expensive, upside, new timing chain could outlast the motor itself and will certainly ensure another 100k considering you've done a lot of work to the car, the question is, what's the over under on replacing the car versus fixing this one as far as overall expenses go. Odds are it's cheaper to repair what you have than buy something else, but, maybe not?

yep... I see... i'm hoping it won't get there?!? : |

Group 208 field 3 , shows Intake Camshaft offset is "-2.00 kW .. " so it's still working.

but I assume 0 or 1 degrees is better.

[ this is at idle, 680 rpm but the car was not too warm. some youtube shows the car having 600-640 RPM ]

--

phew I think this one works for today. unless that "adaptation" binary field is that important...

IIRC as long as you're less than 5 or greater than -5 offset it should be fine... But I might be remembering the range for a 4 cylinder...

Can I just mention how impressed I am at how much you've improved on fixing shit? :thumbup

Real talk, good job man.

Hey thanks. Well there's for a positive start of the day. :thumbup

I think it's not very hard things to fix but usually the problem is tools and space (patience)
-

Nate to check the level on this transmission I have to go under the car again, warm it up first and unscrew something from the bottom...it will be low. :dunno

IIRC as long as you're less than 5 or greater than -5 offset it should be fine... But I might be remembering the range for a 4 cylinder...

:thumbup it looks like I have leeway (it's +-5 or +-8) but I will check the car after warm up today again

Last edited:
back up having coffee, thinking it might be a day for riding a motorcycle.

Morning, no coffee is this motel room, so I'll just have to grab a cup on the way out of town, trying to get an early start but I'll probably actually be on the road around 10 because it was good snoozing weather this morning.

I guess I've never had a car with a transmission, but boy, checking the fluid that way sounds... complex.

Definitely a day to ride motorcycles for me so I can get the Ducati and myself home. It's gonna need a few spa days after all this :rofl

quit posting here and get on it! i need you full recovered in time for the meet at Z.

i have so much stuff to do the next three days. :cry

Ex BIL lives in Tehachapi and owns the local hardware store.

Also my buddy from like 7th grade lives there. I was at his house when I was 15 and got arrested for multiple counts of discharging a firearm into an inhabited dwelling. Sooo many cop cars. Looked like the opening scene of Gator.
That was the start of a mildly downhill slide for young Kev.

"for the meet at Z."

OH 💡

-
I guess I've never had a car with a transmission, but boy, checking the fluid that way sounds... complex.

still hoping to have a car with a transmission. :laughing

D S G is them words you didn't know you were looking for...

Attachments

• paul dsg.jpg
    paul dsg.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
Back