• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

What does that do to property values if insurance won’t cover a neighborhood or rates go up by multiples. Plus if you find an insurer this year will they then drop coverage a year or two also.

Just got canceled on our homeowner's by State farm due to our zip code despite no claims at all in 40 years on our home...and no damage from the 2017 Tubbs fire.

The fact that we have an umbrella and insurance on three other homes in the "right' zip codes we got canceled anyway.

Autos/moto as well of course.

Wow, "like a good neighbor" indeed.

They gave us a year though so we have even more time to find no insurance.

Everything we have insured is through them. They threatened to cancel our place in the mountains and I spent every weekend from mid-summer up until the week before Christmas up there felling trees and other fire safety remediation. They agreed to continue coverage next year.

Still, we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have not been impressed by their behavior.

Seems every type of insurance is going up.
Both bikes are still in winter storage. Will probably be a kick in the balls when I go checking for insurance quotes in a week or two.

We've been cancelled twice and have had Travelers for maybe six or seven years. We can't make any changes to our policy, because it will trigger a boot. Still, we're considered lucky out here. No California Fair Plan for us yet. My buddy outside of Auburn is paying ~$13k/yr. His house is worth a couple hundred more than ours though.

I've had State Farm for over 20 years but will shortly be switching to Farm Bureau. Just can't deal with all the recent increases anymore and Farm Bureau is thousands cheaper with excellent service scores.

I had a burn pile today that would have Andy shaking his head at me.

We've been cancelled twice and have had Travelers for maybe six or seven years. We can't make any changes to our policy, because it will trigger a boot. Still, we're considered lucky out here. No California Fair Plan for us yet..

We have similar , and , surprise, 30% increase this year. :rolleyes

Just did the online check-in thing for my flight to Michigan tomorrow. Weather shows nothing but rain and thunderstorms for the entirety of my visit.
Also, my kiddos are currently not really getting along so that'll be awkward when everyone's together.

:party

GM. Cup of black coffee, and French toast (done by the hunny).

-

Also obsessed about thinking about my DSG transmission ; and whether I should try to change the oil on it for the first time… it’s because it’s running low I think, but there is no way to find out unless I open the drain plug. It’s making me scared is damaged. But no repair shop has told me about the leak for the last 38,000 miles.. it’s that black box I posted recently

Last edited:
Also obsessed about thinking about my DSG transmission ; and whether I should try to change the oil on it for the first time… it’s because it’s running low I think, but there is no way to find out unless I open the drain plug. It’s making me scared is damaged. But no repair shop has told me about the leak for the last 38,000 miles.. it’s that black box I posted recently

Seems pretty easy to find out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxAQsePR7Q

Why it's leaking is another matter.

Everything we have insured is through them. They threatened to cancel our place in the mountains and I spent every weekend from mid-summer up until the week before Christmas up there felling trees and other fire safety remediation. They agreed to continue coverage next year.

Still, we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have not been impressed by their behavior.

I'm noodling just self ensuring our home in the "wrong" zip code which is a huge fucking zip code encompassing everything from true rural areas that did indeed burn, suburban areas largely untouched during 2017 and downtown Santa Rosa on the east side of 101 all the way down to Rohnert Park.

We pay about $5 grand/year for our home which hasn't had a claim since we bought in 1984 if we can't find another carrier. Half of that amount is Earthquake which only stays if you have homeowners.

Fuck it.

where you at? Recently I went alone to that Bicycle/beer shop at the edge of Howarth Park and had a beer and a sandwich after bike riding. My "bud" wants me to drive over again on Saturday, to ride 🚴with them.

Seems pretty easy to find out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxAQsePR7Q

Why it's leaking is another matter.

:thumbup I like these guys and ordered 1-2 parts over the years through them. In that vid, the lift and him using the pump and etc had been scaring me for a while.

But just the other day I watched no less than 4 videos about "how to" at home with jackstands :laughing , and then I watched 2 more :laughing
I guess it's indeed doable, measuring the temperature and all!
As for the leaking... One guy in the UK replaced the cover of the robot-unit of the DSG and it was leaking from there. :dunno

Attachments

• 4fv.jpg
    4fv.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 20
I'm noodling just self ensuring our home in the "wrong" zip code which is a huge fucking zip code encompassing everything from true rural areas that did indeed burn, suburban areas largely untouched during 2017 and downtown Santa Rosa on the east side of 101 all the way down to Rohnert Park.

We pay about $5 grand/year for our home which hasn't had a claim since we bought in 1984 if we can't find another carrier. Half of that amount is Earthquake which only stays if you have homeowners.

Fuck it.

Self-insuring, meaning, cough up the bucks yourself if things go south? We're planning to move this year and may do the same, but only if it's defendable. Otherwise, we may just move specifically into a "normal" area.

We were looking at Paradise recently and they're still in a very high wildfire area, even though 99% of the fuel is gone. They've been trying to get it rezoned, but I guess insurance companies have their fingers in the matter.

Self-insuring, meaning, cough up the bucks yourself if things go south? We're planning to move this year and may do the same, but only if it's defendable. Otherwise, we may just move specifically into a "normal" area.

We were looking at Paradise recently and they're still in a very high wildfire area, even though 99% of the fuel is gone. They've been trying to get it rezoned, but I guess insurance companies have their fingers in the matter.

Not ideal but we have the ability to do so if we wish.

Our Roth IRAs would become our "insurance" pool.

We have other money outside of the Roths so not the end of the world.

Or we could sell a rental should the worst happen after living in it during reconstruction of our main house.

In 10 years we' "save" well over 50 grand "self insuring."

It is, after all, what most people do with earthquake insurance.

I do think that California is waaaayyyy better at fighting fires than we used to be and, because of our experiences, the feeling we have is permanently locked in at peak paranoia, but reality is that the risk is greatly reduced.

In 2023, the primary insurance giant State Farm is ceasing to underwrite commercial and residential property in the State of California, citing exposure related issues and a challenging reinsurance market environment.

The company said that its State Farm General Insurance Company, the firms homeowners insurer in California, will “cease accepting new applications including all business and personal lines property and casualty insurance, effective May 27, 2023.”

State Farm's net worth for 2023 - $134.8 Billion

Chart is from their web site.

Attachments

• State Farm net worth.jpg
    State Farm net worth.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21
  • State Farm Strong.jpg
    State Farm Strong.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18
I do think that California is waaaayyyy better at fighting fires than we used to be and, because of our experiences, the feeling we have is permanently locked in at peak paranoia, but reality is that the risk is greatly reduced.

Yeah, I could do the self insure thing but my wife is another matter. :laughing

And I agree, fire fighting has gotten much more technical with AI in the mix so getting on top of things early seems to be the name of the game and thus far it has worked.

Back