• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

Any company that gets large enough will get some bureaucracy

Seemed fine yesterday, maybe slightly damp but I couldn't really tell if that was the rain or just sweat from the day as they also don't breathe well at all. I've got plastic bags at the ready if I need em. More concerned about the temperature as the last time I was riding in the 50s I was not enjoying myself at all. I have a few more layers now than I did then however.
A vapor barrier (like plastic bags) inside your gear can make a big difference in how warm you are.

At low temps it doesn’t need to. Also, if it goes between you and your insulating layers, it tends to keep those dry by blocking your vapor. In a sleeping bag, a vapor barrier makes about a 10 degree difference in comfort.

At low temps it doesn’t need to. Also, if it goes between you and your insulating layers, it tends to keep those dry by blocking your vapor. In a sleeping bag, a vapor barrier makes about a 10 degree difference in comfort.
It absolutely does make a difference when you're someone like me who sweats easily in anything like that. MOPP gear used to be so disgusting for me to wear even in Alaska. I would sweat in that shit even when it was freezing outside. We're not all cold-blooded like you, Andy. :laughing
Goretex would like a word...
This.

I tend to run warm too. You can argue all you want but you’re arguing with the best practices in cold weather survival, not with me.

The approach is a wicking base layer to get moisture off your skin, then vapor barrier, then insulating layers, then shell. It works really well. If you’re too warm, you don’t need the vapor barrier. If you can’t get warm it helps a lot.

I run warm too, BTW. Ice climbers generally do.

Kinda tired of people with extra new fancy cars not being able to drive... Like this Tesla SUV X that near dead stopped in the left lane in the middle of a non-stop sign, non-traffic light crossing

Kinda tired of people with extra new fancy cars not being able to drive... Like this Tesla SUV X that near dead stopped in the left lane in the middle of a non-stop sign, non-traffic light crossing
You're OK with people in hoopties that can't drive though? :laughing

time to lie down, close your eyes and relax........
you are feeling sleepy, very sleepy...

I tend to run warm too. You can argue all you want but you’re arguing with the best practices in cold weather survival, not with me.

The approach is a wicking base layer to get moisture off your skin, then vapor barrier, then insulating layers, then shell. It works really well. If you’re too warm, you don’t need the vapor barrier. If you can’t get warm it helps a lot.

I run warm too, BTW. Ice climbers generally do.
Plastic bags might work for some people, but for me they create a swamp situation. Not ideal. I made it through two years of Alaska and plenty of cold weather training without having to utilize any sort of plastic bag situation. Our fart sack shells were made with Gortex liners and they always worked fine for me. Including the -50 degree nights on bivouac. :dunno

Plastic bags might work for some people, but for me they create a swamp situation. Not ideal. I made it through two years of Alaska and plenty of cold weather training without having to utilize any sort of plastic bag situation. Our fart sack shells were made with Gortex liners and they always worked fine for me. Including the -50 degree nights on bivouac. :dunno
Well, unless I'm mistaken, Nate doesn't have access to that. He does have bags and if he's in a bind, they'll help.

Good news is, what a brung worked well. Boots appear to be waterproof as as I keep the uppers covered, which my pants and frogg toggs do. If anything I was slightly warm, and plenty comfy at 50 degrees while moving. Considering there's nothing currently forecast to be colder than that on this trip I am feeling confident about that aspect of wet riding days.

Back