• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

Where was that? There's a wall o' video clips. Which one(s)?

Hope you do realize he's a Toyota/Lexus mechanic. The twins are a Subaru/Toyota hybrid.
Can you show me where he touches a Mazda in a bad place?

10 years and 97k, I've had a completely positive ownership experience.

He has two sites it seems; all his Toyota review and then this one of other makes.

He's partial to Mazda, Honda/Acura and of course Toyota/Lexus he seems but not so much to Subaru.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCarCareNutReviews/videos

Thanks Jason. The Fi collar is pretty good depending. It doesn't do "real time" but it's pretty close. It also uses cell signal so only works where there is a signal. The day he got lost, he went down into a ravine and there was nothing. I had hit the lost dog mode, but got nothing because there was no signal.

Monday was a different story. I had gone back into where I lost him and got a ping from Fi saying he was on the ridge about a mile away. I made my way out there and was able to track him with Fi. I found his tracks and was following those, but they went back down into a ravine. Then Fi piged again and he was back up on the trail about a half mile behind me. The little fucker circled back around me. Fi kept pinging me with updates and I eventually caught up to him and saw him. It pinged a few more times and I was able to track him by following his tracks (and Fi's location) but eventually the battery died. By that time, I knew he was kind of hanging out in one area and could focus my efforts there.

Without Fi, I don't think I would have been in the right area at all. And if I was, I probably wouldn't have known. But, it depends on cell service. Further out, no it would not have worked. Where we were it was spotty but ended up working.

I would totally recommend it if you don't want to spend the cash on a Garmin collar, which uses satellite, and cell service is pretty good in your area. If that isn't the case, then I would save up and buy a Garmin.

The Lost dog mode is pretty damn close to real time. I could see when I was catching up to him and when it showed me on top of his location, there he was about 50 feet in front of me.

Thanks for the intel! The reason behind all this is that I'm now working from home and plan on keeping Jack at home a few days a week instead of him going to daycare every work day. However, my home office is in the basement and even with our cameras, I can't really keep the best eye on him all the time and still focus on my work. He has an Air Tag, and that's honestly been fine so far since there's rarely a time that there's no one around him with an Apple product for the tag to ping off of, but we live near a wooded area and I'm afraid if he gets out from the yard some day while I'm here, I may not be able to locate him easily. That said, Fi likes to market itself as better than Air Tags since it doesn't need an Apple product to ping off in order to work, but since it still needs a cell signal, that's a major limitation IMO. I always figured they were true GPS devices like in your car where you don't need a cell signal.

It does work in the sense that you can set a perimeter (radius) and if he leaves it, it will tell you. But it's not immediate. But once it dies it will trek you where he is, if he is near you or your wife, etc.

I always figured they were true GPS devices like in your car where you don't need a cell signal.

They receive GPS signals to determine location. The outbound communication that allows you to know where the device is goes out over LTE cellular.

They receive GPS signals to determine location. The outbound communication that allows you to know where the device is goes out over LTE cellular.

Which means ultimately it still needs an LTE signal to work as intended regardless and that isn't exactly how they tout themselves in marketing materials. That's why I was asking Mike about his experience.

My experience is that ultimately it helped me find my dog. I highly recommend it. That said, if you are way out and there is no signal, it's worthless.

I just got the autorenewal (which was like 100 bucks or something for the year) and I was all pissed because he never leaves the yard (my original fear and reason for getting it) and I didn't want to spend the money.

But right now I couldn't be happier to have spent that money. Little guy hasn't left my side since we got home (except to sleep).

Which means ultimately it still needs an LTE signal to work as intended regardless and that isn't exactly how they tout themselves in marketing materials. That's why I was asking Mike about his experience.

Their website struck me as being pretty accurate, as long as one notices phrases like, "in most areas." They also state that the comm is via LTE, but a person would have to know what that implies.

It seems like most of their use cases are things like the dog getting out of the back yard in suburbia and stuff like that. Getting lost way in the backcountry? Garmin time.

SUPDAWK
Saw that for a license plate today

Our brothers seem similar (in that they're pieces of shit). I haven't talked to him in well over twenty years and I'm super cool with that.

Let your mom talk about reconciliation and group hugs the same way you might let someone talk about their hobby you have no interest in. Nod occasionally and agree in principal that it would be a good thing if everyone was on the same page. :dunno

I might not be the best person to listen to about this as I have a very easy time scraping the occasional piece of shit off my shoe of life.

Or maybe you are the best person to listen about this.

Mom needs to understand that almost everything about my brother being in my life has been not good. I get her sentiment that she is not getting any younger and she wishes her two sons could find a way to co-exist but what she's asking of me is a detriment to myself. Almost 40 years of history have proved this.

So what am I supposed to do? Suck it up and put myself in a position for him to take advantage or hurt me again? Or just stand my ground that this is not going to happen because everytime I've tried to give him a chance has turned into a shit show that I have to suffer.

As I've said before, I didn't cause this situation that's gone on for decades and it seems like she wants me to be "the bigger man" and find some common ground with him. Why do I have to be the bigger man? Why can't he get a grip and admit he's been an incredibly bad brother and finally grow up. Well, he's tried that but it was just a means to an end of something narcissistic that would benefit him. Because I'm the "better" son and I should be able to rise above this? She doesn't put this pressure on him because she knows he is incapable of it.

I love my mom so much but what she's asking of me is not fair or reasonable. I'm all for forgiveness and 2nd chances, even 3rd or 4th chances, but that ship has sailed years ago. When people show and tell you who they are, believe them.

Mom needs to understand that almost everything about my brother being in my life has been not good. I get her sentiment that she is not getting any younger and she wishes her two sons could find a way to co-exist but what she's asking of me is a detriment to myself. Almost 40 years of history have proved this.

So what am I supposed to do? Suck it up and put myself in a position for him to take advantage or hurt me again? Or just stand my ground that this is not going to happen because everytime I've tried to give him a chance has turned into a shit show that I have to suffer.

As I've said before, I didn't cause this situation that's gone on for decades and it seems like she wants me to be "the bigger man" and find some common ground with him. Why do I have to be the bigger man? Why can't he get a grip and admit he's been an incredibly bad brother and finally grow up. Well, he's tried that but it was just a means to an end of something narcissistic that would benefit him. Because I'm the "better" son and I should be able to rise above this? She doesn't put this pressure on him because she knows he is incapable of it.

I love my mom so much but what she's asking of me is not fair or reasonable. I'm all for forgiveness and 2nd chances, even 3rd or 4th chances, but that ship has sailed years ago. When people show and tell you who they are, believe them.

yup. i have a sister i haven't seen or talked to in over twenty years. my mom never tried to force us to reconcile. wouldn't have made any difference if she had. there is definitely such a thing as being better off without them.

My experience is that ultimately it helped me find my dog. I highly recommend it. That said, if you are way out and there is no signal, it's worthless.

And that's the issue we have. I only have one bar at the house as it is and rely on WiFi calling in order for calls to work well.

It seems like most of their use cases are things like the dog getting out of the back yard in suburbia and stuff like that. Getting lost way in the backcountry? Garmin time.

Yeah I'm thinking just springing for the full GPS collar will likely make the most sense.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking just springing for the full GPS collar will likely make the most sense.

It may, but even these collars don't rely on GPS to communicate with you. They appear to have radio transmitters that you must be in range of (they say 9 miles) to receive signal from. That's probably fine for most scenarios, but if the dog somehow got farther away than that, you wouldn't find him.

The Garmin use case seems to be field training where the two of you started out in the same place.

Glad the dog is ok!

3 more days with the G-bear. Her mom gets back Saturday. It's been pretty swell, she's great. I'll probably have her for another 2-3 weeks in April.

We saw Grace Potter at the Fillmore last night she was pretty epic. I'm glad they give concert posters again I always frame them so I can remember every concert I've been to at that venue.

It may, but even these collars don't rely on GPS to communicate with you. They appear to have radio transmitters that you must be in range of (they say 9 miles) to receive signal from. That's probably fine for most scenarios, but if the dog somehow got farther away than that, you wouldn't find him.

The Garmin use case seems to be field training where the two of you started out in the same place.

Honestly that'd probably be enough since if he got nine miles or more away, he'd be in the city.

I have not spoken to my paternal grandma in 24 years. Same with the aunts and uncles on that side. I was made to feel like a redheaded stepchild because of my weight my entire life while they doted on my stepsister.

I don't talk to my half brother. I don't talk to my mom's brother, either. There's lots of alcoholic/addict behavior on her side of the fam that I don't want to be part of and she asks me all the time to talk to him because he has cancer rn. IDGAF. He's been dead to me for 21 years.

It's your life and if it's better without brother in it, don't let him in. People pleasing is overrated. WAY OVERRATED. Mom can deal with your choice just like my mom has to.

My wife has two sisters.

One is pure evil.

Wasn't even invited to our daughter's wedding.

Her only niece.

Lying and deceitful.

Her parents were just there to get money from by hook or by crook.

One year on Turkey Day they announced to the three girls, "we will no longer be giving you checks for Christmas."

Have no idea what the amouns were, but several thousand I'm guessing.

She stormed out of the house.

Fuck it. Stupid barf.

Figured out why it wasn't letting me posting , Nate

I changed my email address...and since it's blocked jointly by barf and Gmail (because barf sends too many) , I never got the "confirm your address email" ... So then it wasn't letting me post. So ...I had to change the email address again, and get the confirmation, and then I was able to post

:dunno

Last edited:
Back