• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Faith In Humanity Thread

Couple’s Wedding Day Saved by Strangers from Craigslist
https://gma.yahoo.com/couple-wedding-day-saved-strangers-craigslist-192000542.html

One Texas couple never imagined they’d find the answer to their wedding day prayers on Craigslist.

Less than two weeks before his wedding, Raul Martinez, 26, was laid off from his job as a boilermaker in the chemical plant industry.

“I knew I was going to be laid off, but not that soon,” Martinez told ABC News.
After paying bills, the couple only had a little bit of money left for last minute wedding expenses earlier this month.

“We used our last $10 on something we had been needing for the wedding that we were missing,” Martinez’ wife, Savannah Martinez, told ABC News.

Even after making and selling tamales and trying to find things to pawn, they still needed money for the groom’s shoes and the bride’s hair and nails, so they listed their bedroom furniture set and television on Craigslist for sale. They were able to sell their television, but couldn't find a buyer for their bedroom set.

Judy Wehrman, 39, who lives in nearby Missouri City, Texas, said she saw Raul Martinez’ listing every day while shopping for furniture on the site.

“I showed it to my husband and said, ‘Honey, take a look at this ad. I think this guy needs some help. He keeps dropping the price. He’s desperate,’” Wehrman told ABC News.

On Sept. 12, the day before their wedding, Raul Martinez still wasn't sure how he was going to get the money they needed.

“That Friday [my wife] was crying because her aunt and everybody was doing their nails, and I didn't have the money to pay for it,” Raul Martinez said. “I told her I would come up with the money, but I didn't know how I was going to come up with the money because no one was buying the furniture.”

Wehrman said her husband wasn't interested in the furniture but told his wife that they could just give him the money. So the night before the Martinez’ Sept. 13 wedding, Wehrman sent Raul Martinez a text message.

“I said, ‘It’s not really the furniture that we’re looking for, but I was wondering what you need the money for,'” Wehrman said. “I didn't know then that he had just lost his job.”

When she found out that Martinez needed the money for his wedding, Wehrman offered to give him money as a wedding gift if he came to her house.

Raul Martinez said he didn't respond to Wehrman's message until the next day because they were busy setting up the reception hall for their wedding.

“I said, ‘If you still want the gift, you have to come to my house,’” Wehrman said.

“I told my wife, ‘Let’s go!' She said, ‘What if they jack us?’ I said, ‘They know we don’t have money,’” laughed Raul Martinez.

Savannah Martinez said she was scared when she saw the messages, but went along with her husband to wait for Wehrman near her home the morning of their wedding day.

When Wehrman finally arrived, she gave the couple $200.

“I took the money. I said, 'Thank you, we appreciate it,’” Raul Martinez said. “My wife started crying, and she said, ‘Thank you.’”

With Wehrman's gift, Raul Martinez was able to pay for his shoes and for his wife to get her hair done. Wehrman declined an invitation to their wedding that evening.

“Our goal was just to help out,” Wehrman said. “There’s a lot of people that’s blessed that can help others.”

Martinez said he’s currently working little side jobs, and the couple is no longer selling their bedroom set.

“God bless the people that helped us. This comes to show there are good people out there whenever somebody is in need,” Raul Martinez said.

“It’s good to know there are good people out there to help.”

From Facebook, apparently hanging on the wall in a therapist's office. There have been a couple threads about depression and suicide and I thought this was a pretty good poster related to it.

a2NXEze_700b.jpg

i got me a stick and i use it well:cool

p.s. ^^not a dick joke^^

5-year old JP Gibson plays for the Utah Jazz in scrimmage

On Monday, the Utah Jazz announced they were signing JP Gibson to a contract. The significance of this is Gibson is a five-year old boy with leukemia and the Jazz were giving him a one-day contract. As nice as this was, the Jazz went above and beyond the gesture and brought Gibson off the bench in the third quarter of a team scrimmage played in front of Jazz fans on Monday.

Gibson checked into the game, received the inbound pass, blew past Dante Exum and Steve Novak before flying through the air and dunking on Rudy Gobert. It was almost like he catapulted himself off of Gobert before throwing the two-handed dunk down. It was a pretty cool moment for Gibson and the Jazz. Gibson is only 36,372 points away from tying Karl Malone for the franchise scoring record.

[youtube]78ClAp9oSaQ[/youtube]

[youtube]mo-kvh1w60w[/youtube]

Thread revival...

Because it's a feel good thread.

his reaction to seeing Kid Rock gave me a case of the :laughing:cry at the same time!

Teen firefighter pulls police officer from burning car

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-firefighter-pulls-cop-burning-cruiser-video-153234620.html

A 17-year-old volunteer firefighter and his 24-year-old neighbor are being hailed as heroes after helping pull a Philadelphia police officer from his burning cruiser

"Right when we got him to the sidewalk, the engine compartment blew," Chambers told Philly.com. "Within 30 seconds, the whole car was gone."

Quick and determined action saved a man's life! Well done by a member of a generation that gets slammed for taking video instead of helping their fellowman. :applause

Because Veteran's Day and awesomeness and motorcycle riders who help their friends out.

Paraplegic Veteran Surprises Bride With First Dance

FISHERS, IN- War veteran, husband, and master of surprise.

All of these words describe Sgt. Joey Johnson, an Afghanistan war vet who survived in the fields of battle, only to be paralyzed from the chest down in a motorcycle accident shortly after returning home...

Through his recovery, his girlfriend Michelle stayed by his side, leading him to propose in April of last year.

The two were married back in June. Joey had a surprise in store.

After the ceremony, Joey was able to get some family members to distract Michelle, as he and his friends set up a harness system.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/21/36543...ampaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2046

When an assisted living home in California shut down last fall, many of its residents were left behind, with nowhere to go.

The staff at the Valley Springs Manor left when they stopped getting paid — except for cook Maurice Rowland and Miguel Alvarez, the janitor.

"There was about 16 residents left behind, and we had a conversation in the kitchen, 'What are we going to do?' " Rowland says.

"If we left, they wouldn't have nobody," the 34-year-old Alvarez says.

Their roles quickly transformed for the elderly residents, who needed round-the-clock care.

"I would only go home for one hour, take a shower, get dressed, then be there for 24-hour days," says Alvarez.

And the follow up:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/johns...rs-rewarded-for-doing-right-thing-4975617.php

Maurice Rowland and Miguel Alvarez, the cook and janitor who stood like sentinels over 19 elderly residents abandoned by staff at a Castro Valley care facility, were honored last week at the Hayward Veterans Memorial Building. It was the latest of many laurels bestowed on the two men, who have been friends since middle school. In the week since news of their good deed spread, people responded with goodwill, gifts and donations to the men and their families.

Mic cuts out during Star Spangled Banner. Canadian crowd takes it upon themselves to finish!
[youtube]mHSaHRd4Q48[/youtube]

this was pretty cool,, that little girl gets to see her bro and daddy again:cry
http://i.imgur.com/2whpdu0.jpg

edit: ok, link fail:facepalm

the story behind the image is that the guy and his son in the pic, and on the shirts, died in a car accident on their way home from a match:( :rose the wife received an invite from the team and the team came onto the field wearing these shirts:cry

Last edited:
Back