• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

That's good. The reason I mentioned it is because we see it all the time in the various RV web forums: someone will hire an electrician to install a 30A RV outlet at their home and then, when they plug in their RV they find out that the electrician is not familiar with the RV outlet and wires it up as a 30A/240V outlet instead of a 30A/120V outlet!

That's good. The reason I mentioned it is because we see it all the time in the various RV web forums: someone will hire an electrician to install a 30A RV outlet at their home and then, when they plug in their RV they find out that the electrician is not familiar with the RV outlet and wires it up as a 30A/240V outlet instead of a 30A/120V outlet!

That is good to know learn something new on teh BARFs all the time. I do weld and am getting ready to wire up a 50A 220V outlet and wouldn't have thought about the difference between welder and RV although I do assume they would have used a different plug style which could help tell them apart.

Yeah, it all can be confusing. A 50A RV uses a standard 4 conductor outlet - the same one you'll see behind a kitchen range or any other fairly new 240V appliance, so there's little issue with miswiring it. A 30V RV outlet, however, is different. They are, in fact, built different, and actually have all the necessary information molded in to them, but people still make mistakes.

RV outlets are not something that electricians deal with every day, so many of them simply hear the customer say "I need a 30A outlet placed here so I can plug in this cord." The electrician will then go to his supply house and pick up a 30A RV outlet and proceed to wire it up like he does any other 30A outlet. Unfortunately, "any other 30A outlet" happens to be a 240V circuit and exciting things happen when you plug a 120V circuit into a 240V source!

Here's what the outlets look like - the one on the left is a 30A/120V RV plug; the one on the right is a 30A/240V outlet:

Attachments

• 30a120v.jpg
    30a120v.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 30a240v.jpg
    30a240v.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 13
Adjusting our area for relocating to one with NO snow... So we have tightened up our search area to probably below 1,000 feet.
This last week sucked and we are just at 2,000 feet. Still clearing downed trees and limbs on the property.
It will be a happy day when I can sell my chain saws..:)
DT

:laughing

It is OK to go Flomida... heard the governor is going to be... a guy with a big dick and the son of a ....

:laughing

Almost all old folks are quick to judge. Some are still fast enough to avoid a sneaky reptile. :teeth

Just for dealing with being old they all start with a few points on my humans to respect scale.

I grew up in Palo Alto, from the time I was nine. Went to Cal, then lived on the peninsula and in the south bay, ending with 20 years in Cupertino. My wife moved to Sunnyvale when she was nine, and always lived in the south bay after that.

It got to the point where we HATED the bay area. With the overcrowding, traffic, and demographic shifts, we tolerated it as long as we could, and bailed in 2018. Knew we wanted to stay in CA; yeah, it's $$$, but we've seen enough of the rest of the country to realize why it's more expensive to live here. Started in SLO, and worked our way north to Terra Linda. We liked Marin, but the value's not there. Narrowed it down to Aptos, Soquel, Capitola, and Scotts Valley. Highway 1 traffic eliminated the first three, so here we are in SV. Absolutely love it, and got twice the house for 2/3 the sell price of the Cupertino property. Still have doctors and friends over the hill, and Los Gatos is only 20 minutes away. Tons of great roads to ride over here, too.

Only regret is that we didn't make the move sooner.

Florida: Where Cadillacs are driven into swimming pools daily.

Florida: where "On Patrol: Live" shows the Daytona Beach police being called because some guy opened the front door of his house and got bit by a 6 foot alligator. The police called for a gator wrangler, who promptly dealt with the issue by using a bang stick on the beast - the resulting uproar on social media was hilarious!

I may have the same ailment - forced neg rep on DB lateral raise.

How did your wife injure herself?

Shaking out a pillow/pillow case. She doesn’t exercise in any form or fashion.

We got a quote for surgery here. The want $7k and showed no itemization. I have seen similar prices in the USA so I doubt we will get it done in Cabo. They have a habit here of screwing gringos by adjusting prices up, since we are all so wealthy.:rolleyes

Probably $4k in Monterey or Guadalajara. I will probably just pay outright for the surgery in the States. I am not impressed with the track record here.

Kelly and I are shopping for a Class A right now. Plenty of room to park it here at the house, the shop is wired for 30-amp as well so we can plug in and connect water if we need more room for people to stay and we can tow the Jeep behind it for weekend trips. No need to worry about if the hotel will take the dog and we already know where everything is. :thumbup

Maybe you’ll get one in time to come up to
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/byrds-creek-music-festival-2023-tickets-495864483017

Special VIP parking and my cousin says he’ll run a 20amp cord to all of my people coming in RVs.

And stop telling people about Tennessee FFS!

And you can bring the dog btw.

Back