• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Shaking out a pillow/pillow case. She doesn’t exercise in any form or fashion.

We got a quote for surgery here. The want $7k and showed no itemization. I have seen similar prices in the USA so I doubt we will get it done in Cabo. They have a habit here of screwing gringos by adjusting prices up, since we are all so wealthy.:rolleyes

Probably $4k in Monterey or Guadalajara. I will probably just pay outright for the surgery in the States. I am not impressed with the track record here.

Thnx for the reply. Tough luck for your SO. Weird stuff happens. Coworker who doesn’t work out completely ripped bicep tendon while taking trash can to curb. Too lazy to fix so has that retracted bicep forever.

Last edited:
The thought of renovating my house to sell, visiting/exploring where to relocate, purging, packing, selling vehicles/bikes, staging, renting, flying back and forth multiple times, tires slashed cuz CA plate in a state where they hate Californians, reading every Maria Kondo book, coordinating, the logistics, etc., just gave me a goddamn headache.

The thought of renovating my house to sell, visiting/exploring where to relocate, purging, packing, selling vehicles/bikes, staging, renting, flying back and forth multiple times, tires slashed cuz CA plate in a state where they hate Californians, reading every Maria Kondo book, coordinating, the logistics, etc., just gave me a goddamn headache.

yeah - it seems intimidating, but the effort is worth it. we looked for a place for about 8 years (domestically and internationally) before finding the perfect location and property. most important thing IMO is finding the right real estate professional to work with. we went through a shit ton of them before we found the right guy. ended up doing 3 transactions with him (1 purchase, 2 sales). WRT sales, dude was totally into ROI (renovations-wise). his advice was spot on. that said, took us 2 years to make the full move after we bought our place. mostly because it took over a year and half to catch our feral cat - that we refused to leave behind lol. but the other part (all the sorting, purging, etc.) was great. very cathartic. sort of a full reset, and our new place is more perfect as a result. couldn’t be happier.

I think it really just depends on how determined you are to make it happen. Those that are truly determined enough will figure out a way to make it work.

And no one slashes your tires here just because you came from California. :nchantr

Damnit Korn, do I have to make up a fake news story about Kalifornians getting aggression in that state you keep referencing?
You know if people visit probably half will move there.

I bet most people who flee California will in the end, the solitude of not being around the constant hassles of that state will greatly exceed the hassle of moving.
It was a major logistical nightmare moving here to Mexico but the only thing I regret is the insane liquidation of my stuff in a short time at pennies on the dollar. At least I can take solace in the fact many of the great deals went to BARFers.

People sure love that California money though. Just gotta be willing to put up with poo and hobos and condoms and needles, sometimes all at once.

Damnit Korn, do I have to make up a fake news story about Kalifornians getting aggression in that state you keep referencing?
You know if people visit probably half will move there.

Let's be honest Rob, literally less than five people from BARF (if any) would ever move to this state, let alone the city I live in. :laughing

People sure love that California money though. Just gotta be willing to put up with poo and hobos and condoms and needles, sometimes all at once.

We do? I actually make more money here than I ever did in California and that's not even factoring in the lack of state income tax.

I bet you didn't leave with the clothes on your back though.

Of course not. But we also sold off or donated almost everything. If it didn't fit in my SUV, her truck or the U-Boxes (we had two), it didn't go. The only thing that was shipped were the motorcycles.

Of course not. But we also sold off or donated almost everything. If it didn't fit in my SUV, her truck or the U-Boxes (we had two), it didn't go. The only thing that was shipped were the motorcycles.

Purging is so refreshing.

I want to goddamn live like this:
images

Last edited:
If it didn't fit in my SUV, her truck or the U-Boxes (we had two), it didn't go.

We are in the early stages of planning and looking at options - if I may so bold as to ask: how was your experience with U-Box? What size boxes do they use, and how much did it cost? We're considering them, and PODS - I know PODS has a 16 foot box but we haven't started getting quotes yet since our move is a year away.

We are in the early stages of planning and looking at options - if I may so bold as to ask: how was your experience with U-Box? What size boxes do they use, and how much did it cost? We're considering them, and PODS - I know PODS has a 16 foot box but we haven't started getting quotes yet since our move is a year away.

Pods, U-Move, Pack-Rat...you name the competitor, we likely shopped them all. In the end, U-Boxes from Uhaul were the best deal. However, there are drawbacks. The biggest one is that they only come in one single size. But if you're leaving the state (or likely completing a long-distance in-state move), you don't get the simple plywood with a vinyl wrap version. They use a sturdy container. We had no issues with water intrusion (which no one guarantees against, BTW) nor shifting or damage. However, loading it correctly probably guarantees a lot of that more than the construction and handling of the U-Box itself. Anyway, Uhaul was prompt with delivery and pickup and we taped an AirTag inside the door on each one so we could monitor its travel/location across the country since, you guessed it, no really offers realtime monitoring of your container. Having said all that, Pack-Rat was going to be the cheapest before we decided on U-Boxes and for a single mid-size PackRat container, it was close to $7,000 and a 30-45 day transit time. We got two U-Boxes instead for $3800 and they were delivered in 9 days from the time they were picked up. Basically there was only three days that they weren't in some sort of movement and that was all the local yard in Hayward. Once they were on the truck, they were moving most of the time. U-Haul uses a spoke-and-hub system with these boxes so depending on where you have the box going, they truck them to different large and small hubs and make transfers along the way. That's how the cost stays down too since even the big players like Pods don't have the logistical and brick-and-mortar setup that Uhaul does. It's simply more economical for them to do this than the other container players. Again, the biggest downside IMO is the lack of size options. But the more boxes you get, the bigger discount you receive so they'll still end up matching the others when it comes to space. Plus their smaller footprints make it easier to deliver and setup right outside your garage or at the end of your driveway.

Last edited:
Back