• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Thanks, Jason, for that info. Gives us something to think about. Another question: does U-Haul offer storage as well? We'll need storage between selling here and buying something there.

Thanks, Jason, for that info. Gives us something to think about. Another question: does U-Haul offer storage as well? We'll need storage between selling here and buying something there.
I rented a local storage unit the one time that I needed to do that. One of the reasons that people like Pods for moving is that you fill them up and they'll keep them until you're ready for them to be delivered at your new location.

I did it the other way for my last move, buying my house five months before officially moving into it. I was able to haul a truckload there early as well as driving one car and leaving it early.

Last edited:

They do. They'll hold them at the local Uhaul facility for as long as you want, but I think you only get 30 days included.

Nashville is like California Junior...and I don't mean that in a good way. All the shit that people leave California for? Yeah, Nashville either already has it or is working on bringing it in. High cost of housing? Already has it. Entitled douchecanoe techbros that expect the world to start and stop for them? Yep, already has that, too. A massively out of control homeless problem? That's currently in the works and, at least according to the local news outlets, has been growing for years. Almost entirely out of spite, the state just voted to cut the city council's headcount by 50% too so things are going to get really interesting in the next few years in the capital. Basically, Nashville is seen by most of Tennessee the same way that Austin is by most Texans: a liberal bastion that is orders of magnitude more progressive and left-leaning than Memphis could've ever hoped to be. If you're not on-board with the progressiveness of the majority there, you don't belong. For me, it's just the techbros and stupid housing costs that keeps me away. That and its lack of topography and natural resources.

Last edited:
Japan has those free houses, but my inlaws are in one of those countryside semi abandoned towns and It's a little depressing. I love the idea of timberframe Japanese construction, have a couple pull saws and chisels if I can truly find a nearly free one.

Japan has those free houses, but my inlaws are in one of those countryside semi abandoned towns and It's a little depressing. I love the idea of timberframe Japanese construction, have a couple pull saws and chisels if I can truly find a nearly free one.

There are stipulations. I recall, must be under 50, married, live there mostly permanent, renovate the house…

Italy also has $1 homes to address declining population and blight.

A problem with most $1 homes in italy is that they need $30-$50k in renovation and sell for $30-$50k when renovated. There's no real incentive to do it beyond the novelty of posting on fb that you bought a home for $1.

Wouldn't you rather just buy one that's done though? If you want to stay in it, it's probably a year before you can actually stay in it.

A problem with most $1 homes in italy is that they need $30-$50k in renovation and sell for $30-$50k when renovated. There's no real incentive to do it beyond the novelty of posting on fb that you bought a home for $1.

True.

Fwiw, coworker’s parents bought house in small town in Italy. Paid US$23K or so. Its in decent condition. They visit a couple times a year.

That's something I love about Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc., is that you can buy a pretty decent place to live for less than $40k. Under $30k is harder, but even that is still doable. I know folks will think, "yeah but minimum wage is a nickel and a kick in the nuts", but the minimum wage in Spain is higher than our federal minimum wage.

There are stipulations. I recall, must be under 50, married, live there mostly permanent, renovate the house…

Italy also has $1 homes to address declining population and blight.

Thst and your Mt. Fuji view will likely be obstructed by a few diaper factory smokestacks and no one will stop by yiur town because the expressway was built a couple hundred feet above you mid hill via bridge and tunnel. I get kind of a creepy feeling in these towns these days, wheras in the 90s it was pretty normal there.

Nashville is like California Junior...and I don't mean that in a good way. All the shit that people leave California for? Yeah, Nashville either already has it or is working on bringing it in. High cost of housing? Already has it. Entitled douchecanoe techbros that expect the world to start and stop for them? Yep, already has that, too.

Well amigo, the Cabo you knew has become just that. Homeowners associations at every new development, traffic out-the-ass several times per day, restrictions at beaches, non-stop sirens, prices at restaurants more than 50% higher than even two years ago. People complaining about everything here on FB. Those complainers mostly gringos from...you guessed it...Kalifornia.
The shine has really worn off this once simple, inviting place. Only took 11 years too.

Well amigo, the Cabo you knew has become just that. Homeowners associations at every new development, traffic out-the-ass several times per day, restrictions at beaches, non-stop sirens, prices at restaurants more than 50% higher than even two years ago. People complaining about everything here on FB. Those complainers mostly gringos from...you guessed it...Kalifornia.
The shine has really worn off this once simple, inviting place. Only took 11 years too.

Anyone been to Lagos in the Algarve in Portugal?

1990 - spectacular
2006 - condo hell/armpit/hey let’s just cram a 4-story building in here

The south is for those seeking that club med life, so that's just what it is. If you want that, then go there. If you don't want that, then don't go there. Go north and a little inland, like Porto with a 40mi radius.

I'd probably go to Spain if I was moving to the Iberian peninsula since I already know the language. It is a different dialect but I would still be able to communicate.

Back