• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

So when are you moving? :laughing
June to Brokane to suss out (again) if the children and grandchildren are worth living in that miserable place. But we will be near enough to you, dueling banjos, in August to maybe secure those 8 acres split by a creek that we contemplated last year. If I ever had a "dream" home, it included either a creek or a pond on the property. This place backs up to my cousin's 240 acres, 10 minutes out of Crossville.

Anyone been to Lagos in the Algarve in Portugal?

1990 - spectacular
2006 - condo hell/armpit/hey let’s just cram a 4-story building in here

Cabo San Lucas to a "t". Condos EVERYWHERE. They built two big buildings a half block from us and they appear to be primarily Airbnbs. The "corridor" between San Lucas and San Jose is nearly unrecognizable from even 5 years ago. Poor old Sammy's quiet compound in Marbella has a GIGANTIC timeshare looking directly over him.

Last edited:
If I ever had a "dream" home, it included either a creek or a pond on the property.

Just build a pond like I did. We used the dirt from the pond to build up a house pad to meet flood plain requirements and not pay out the ass for flood insurance. pro-tip if you do have a pond do not get ducks to put in said pond unless you want a never ending nightmare of trying to keep it weed free and clear. I spend way to much on stuff to keep it half assed nice because all of the excess nutrients that come from ducks shitting in the pond 24/7/365. If it wasn't for my wife being in love with them I would be having duck a l'orange for days.

I'm looking for my home here in Verde Valley, in Camp Verde now, moving to Cottonwood Thursday, for the summer.

Looking to see what has changed from my years stay back in '08/'09, what stayed and got better.

The land is greener than ever, it hasn't dried out yet as we move into monsoon season. Dramatic weather filling the painfully blue skies of spring, towering thunderheads, spittin' sparks. Got a sneak show of this yesterday, leftovers from the slam Bullhead got over the weekend.
Humidity goes up, and storms blow in from the south.
Some flooding along rivers/creeks from the winter, not as bad as Ca. has kept it all green.

Move to Peckerwood for the winter, not the summer! It's always a good 5-10 degrees hotter up there than in Sac.

That may mean that you're stuck in either CA, Vancouver or Seattle for the rest of your life. :twofinger :laughing

There's plenty of low-cost sushi here too...but there's a reason it's low-cost. And I have a standard rule that I won't touch any seafood that had to travel more than two states to get to me. :green

There's plenty of low-cost sushi here too...but there's a reason it's low-cost. And I have a standard rule that I won't touch any seafood that had to travel more than two states to get to me. :green

Fish for sushi is all flash-frozen at sea and sent wherever. It's the gas station sushi you need to watch out for.

Everything here is gas station sushi AFAIC. There's no comparison to what you get in states next to the source in terms of taste and quality. Besides, flash freezing is not a guarantee of health standards anyway. Plenty of frozen things are still recalled for being found to be contaminated. I've never once gotten sick from eating fish in a location near an ocean but I have a few times eating fish in a state that's far away from the ocean. You might consider my rule silly, but ever since I've implemented it, it has worked. :twofinger

Any retirement place would have to be within 5-10 minutes of decent low cost sushi

Define low cost? To me that would be about $10-$15 a roll or say $20-$30 for AYCE.

When I first moved here there was a chinese buffet that had a sushi bar. The sushi was pretty good and the lunch buffet was like $8. We went to that place like every other weekend. I got to know the older gentlemen behind the counter and he would make me a huge plate of fresh sushi when he saw me. Probably because i tipped him like $7 every time but I figured that was still cheaper than I used to pay for AYCE in the Bay Area. It was a match made in heaven until about 10 years later when he retired and moved back to China to be with family. I gave the place a few chances since then and since Covid it has really gone downhill. We went again last year and even the wife was not happy with the normal food they server turns out the original owners must have sold it and so now it is on our no-go list. Found a new place in Lafayette that has excellent sushi but it is more expensive at $20 for AYCE lunch and $30 for dinner. just ate their Monday and still delicious.

Dude you are missing out. I mean I live by the Gulf but my favorite sushi is salmon and that is not even fished remotely close to where I live but there are sushi places here that have phenomenal salmon sushi so the distance rule really isn't a thing. You are supposed to go by smell if it smells fishy stay away but I also check the color of the fish if the salmon isn't a nice orange then stay away same with Tuna if it isn't a nice reddish color stay away.

The only rule that I could find for fish used in sushi was that it had to be frozen for at least 24-48 hours in a commercial freezer to kill any parasites other than that there is nothing to really laid down for sashimi grade fish.

Besides, flash freezing is not a guarantee of health standards anyway.

Freezing pretty much does nothing about pathogens, it's all about stopping decay.

There's a reason that biolabs freeze their samples to preserve them, and not heat them to 300 degrees.

Deep freezing 48 hours is mandatory for US sushi grade fish (like minus 31 degrees). Regular freezing like other types of fish is not gonna kill parasites. After that is a crap shoot of delivery/handling no matter the location.

I'm looking for my home here in Verde Valley, in Camp Verde now, moving to Cottonwood Thursday, for the summer.

Looking to see what has changed from my years stay back in '08/'09, what stayed and got better.

The land is greener than ever, it hasn't dried out yet as we move into monsoon season. Dramatic weather filling the painfully blue skies of spring, towering thunderheads, spittin' sparks. Got a sneak show of this yesterday, leftovers from the slam Bullhead got over the weekend.
Humidity goes up, and storms blow in from the south.
Some flooding along rivers/creeks from the winter, not as bad as Ca. has kept it all green.

How's Payson? As I recall 260 is a pretty nice road.

Back