• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

If you want to live on the east side of a HUGE city where it takes an hour to drive from one side to the other, go for it. And quite a bit of that area is running out of water. Oh, and it's seriously hot for at least six months of the year. Like hot enough that you don't want to be riding a motorcycle after about noon.

If you want to live in Arizona, I hear that Prescott is nice. :cool

^^^^This.

I bought my GS from a guy in Prescott. Flew out one-way, took a shuttle to downtown from Sky Harbor airport. Easy. Prescott is at elevation, so noticeably cooler than PHX/Scottsdale. Asked the guy about it and he really liked living there.

More here about Phoenix and heat just read this after I posted: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/11/...JmMpSUIXqfv3snosudHjyCgFZ0pX0o&smid=url-share

Last edited:
I wouldn't live someplace with water restrictions in retirement. When you want to chill, you don't want to worry about the rules that come with something as simple as water.

Checked with my high school bud who lives in Gilbert AZ. A buck 11.
116 on tap Saturday.

He said
I am retired. I am staying in the house. It is better than slipping on ice.

Been in it since June, Cottonwood (@ 3k) has picked up from the low 100's to the high 100's this year, and still goes below freezing.
Prescott will hold snow @ 5 k,
Water? Verde river claims to be the only river in Az that runs year around, and runs to the sea, as the Colorado.

My first day with the new AC, big relief, I got my first overheated flop on the bed, type nap in three weeks.
Every July weekend in Phoenix this year, has been noted as the hottest one of the year, # 3 coming up.

I got about three drops of R yesterday

Rain finally predicted for next week, , ,

MONSOON

Last edited:
I wouldn't live someplace with water restrictions in retirement. When you want to chill, you don't want to worry about the rules that come with something as simple as water.

:laughing You may need to retire someplace other than Planet Earth soon. Maybe Alaska would be a safe haven for unrestricted water use in the US for the next 50 years?

Arizona is mostly Satan's Butthole level hot unless you are in Apache or Navajo territory. It is funny to me that the first nations got most of the good territory in that State in an unexpected chain of events.

I hear Flagstaff may be North and East enough in AZ to make the State tolerable in a City large enough to have decent health care for old farts?

Even AZ is supposed to have water for 100 years, but it's going to be a sucky period of rationing and fines and neighbors complaining and thousand dollar bills for filling a hot tub. Who needs that nonsense when you're trying to retire. There are tons of places where a person can live out their days without doing any of that.

I have been reading about the heat wave in Europe, so bad they are naming it after the dogs of hell (Cerberus) and the boat operator. And of course they have forest fires in Croatia to smoke it all up. Some kind of anti-cyclone or something coming up from Africa (?)

Then I think about all the digital smarties who decided to relocate to Spain and Portugal from here. I mean, I love both those places but they were already hot as hell unless you are close to the surrounding bodies of water.

Predicted 114 tomorrow in the central San Juaquin valley. Come on over! :laughing

Time for AZ residents to consider building underground.

LOL, interestingly enoug, i am very aware that AZ is a Hotbed of underground Nuclear Survival Shelters already. :laughing

Predicted 114 tomorrow in the central San Juaquin valley. Come on over! :laughing

I live on the northernmost hill of the Berkeley hills. I wear a thermal shirt at night with the pjs and have been using a heating pad on my feet. The wind blows here 380 days a year. We have one of those draft stoppers at the foot of the front door. The wind dries out the lawn so fast that I can’t even water it enough to stay green. It won’t really get warm until September.

It’s crazy how a few miles makes all the difference.

I have never understood this.
I am busier without a "real job" than with.
I also can't imagine being bored because I don't have to go do the same predetermined shit every day.

Ditto. I am busy as shit. Doing a lot of maintenance deep dive stuff that I never could address for all the years I had to get back to work. Landscaping, painting, everything. I wanted to do some leather work for my retirement hobby, haven’t even gotten close to that yet.

I live on the northernmost hill of the Berkeley hills. I wear a thermal shirt at night with the pjs and have been using a heating pad on my feet. The wind blows here 380 days a year. We have one of those draft stoppers at the foot of the front door. The wind dries out the lawn so fast that I can’t even water it enough to stay green. It won’t really get warm until September.

It’s crazy how a few miles makes all the difference.

LOL, I have been enjoying the hell out of my 61 Degree days of blanketed fog lately. I understand this weekend my neighborhood will be jumping up to a hot summer 64F.

:laughing

I have been reading about the heat wave in Europe, so bad they are naming it after the dogs of hell (Cerberus) and the boat operator. And of course they have forest fires in Croatia to smoke it all up. Some kind of anti-cyclone or something coming up from Africa (?)

Then I think about all the digital smarties who decided to relocate to Spain and Portugal from here. I mean, I love both those places but they were already hot as hell unless you are close to the surrounding bodies of water.

Same as how California has the death valley in the south, Italy, Spain, and Portugal all have their deserts in the south. And like California, you just go north if you want to get away from that.

I don't have the joint pain/arthritis I had in foggy Morro Bay.
I was still wearing long johns daily when I left for Az in June.

But, the heat zapps your strength, keeping track of my body's core heat level.
This is the hardest part riding thru town, getting stuck at long lights, over 140* + pavement
106 was doable, but that 120+ in Bullhead, 10 - 15 minutes traffic time to a cool bar on the river was about it.

Crispy

Last edited:
so you live in Kensington?

Nope, unincorporated “El Sobrante.” This is the last hill of the line of hills before dropping down to the bay. Just think of that big curve on I80 at SP Dam Road.

I don’t know if some tyro decided to change the name of the range but for all intents and purposes, same hills.

I thought I could retire to Canada but the home attached to my childhood home is currently for sale for $1.6M ....

Back