• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Nope, unincorporated “El Sobrante.” This is the last hill of the line of hills before dropping down to the bay. Just think of that big curve on I80 at SP Dam Road.

I don’t know if some tyro decided to change the name of the range but for all intents and purposes, same hills.

Oh Fook you live at Rolling Hills, you're a ghost. AAARRRGGGHHHH

I don't have the joint pain/arthritis I had in foggy Morro Bay.
I was still wearing long johns daily when I left for Az in June.

But, the heat zapps your strength, keeping track of my body's core heat level.
This is the hardest part riding thru town, getting stuck at long lights, over 140* + pavement
106 was doable, but that 120+ in Bullhead, 10 - 15 minutes traffic time to a cool bar on the river was about it.

Crispy

Any thoughts on Prescott?

I have never understood this.
I am busier without a "real job" than with.
I also can't imagine being bored because I don't have to go do the same predetermined shit every day.

When I was working and even with “side hustles”, I could get everything done around the house or socially…for the most part.

In the 11+ years in Cabo I seemed to never be able to accomplish a smidgeon of what I did before. It seems the more busy I am, the better time management. In retirement I can’t seem to get shit done.
Now that I am back in the LOTF, I might get a job and see if any of my former self still exists.

As far as Prescott, Az., my born and raised San Diego people tell me that they want to retire there. If they like it, it must be all right.

Prescott @ 5 k, holds snow in the winter, this summer it is hotter, over 100's.
Mountain recreation, small lake "The Dells",

Prescott Valley is a monster, way too many people building ranchettes, water will be an issue

Tight religious community, red state reserve, real cowboy.

Thanks Swade and Cdona. When I google-street view Prescott, it doesn’t call out to me. I realize this is a lame way to check out a town

I try to stay a month, cheaper rent, and you get to know how to get around town.

Spend a year in your new community before you buy in. Weather, weekend fest's, holidays, in a tourist town will be more than a quiet "blue collar" town.

Whisky Row, Town Square, "Junior Bonner", old movie, new movie, "Only the Brave" Prescott.

Last edited:
Spend a year depending on how fussy you are. We didn't realize how unfussy we were until we moved someplace that's more challenging. Now we realize we could buy just about anywhere. And it doesn't have to be forever, even in retirement. I think it's a mistake to think too long term. It's like waiting until the perfect time to have kids. Just do it and make it work.

Whisky Row, Town Square, "Junior Bonner", old movie, new movie, "Only the Brave" Prescott.

The problem with Prescott is that the overwhelming majority of town isn't those parts. It's the Valley, or out Williamson Valley Rd, or Yavapai Valley...

Yes, south Prescott is cool. Most of town has all the charm of Modesto.

The problem with Prescott is that the overwhelming majority of town isn't those parts. It's the Valley, or out Williamson Valley Rd, or Yavapai Valley...

Yes, south Prescott is cool. Most of town has all the charm of Modesto.

Ouch!

A friend owns a second home on Oregon coast and suggested I look at Vancouver, Washington. I’ve been there once for a day. Don’t recall much. A quick look into Zillow is promising.

Thoughts on Vancouver, WA?

^ have a few friends who've lived there. some still do. they said it's pretty chill/boring, depending on your lifestyle. Got Portland close though, which is decently fun if you ask me.

A friend owns a second home on Oregon coast and suggested I look at Vancouver, Washington. I’ve been there once for a day. Don’t recall much. A quick look into Zillow is promising.

Thoughts on Vancouver, WA?

My brother moved away from Vancouver Washington to live in Rock Springs Wyoming due to increasing crime and homelessness. He had volunteered to feed the homeless through his church for the past 10 years and could no longer do it because of the change in attitude of the people he served. He saw increasing crime homelessness and got out about 2 years ago.

I know a guy who moved there for no state income tax and easy access to Oregon with no sales tax.

Just head a little east from Vancouver and live anywhere along the Columbus. Get away from cities to get away from city problems.

Yep.

And Vancouver has a lower crime rate than Phoenix, which all the OFG retirees talk about how nice and safe it is.

Last edited:
Back