• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Fresno is getting some love in this thread
Fresno/Clovis was on my list of possible retirement spots, mainly because my daughter lives in Clovis, way out on the east side. It's a gated community and really nice inside the gates. But once you leave, you're still in the Fresno area. And you have the heat and bad air. But I did my due diligence and went out there for a week on my motorcycle to make sure that there was decent riding in the area. There was, and that wasn't what crossed it off of my list. :cool

Central valley from the grapevine to redding is all of kind of a butthole.

I am retiring here

Attachments

• 241816982_4264253206989889_3641873015613569905_n.jpg
    241816982_4264253206989889_3641873015613569905_n.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
Right on. A former coworker/pal lives there with his lady friend. He says they have a cool residence loophole for foreigners where you can alternate visas, something like the regular visitor with the 6mo rent in advance deal, and he's just been living there nonstop.

I follow this croatia real estate guy just for funs..
https://www.youtube.com/@realestatecroatiaimmobilie5113

Croatia, my hometown. Was born there may as well die there :)

My cousin married into a large Croatian family from LA and let me tell you those are some fun but serious people. The dad raised a lamb or five for the wedding meal, made wine, and prepared and served all the food. For 200 people. One group stayed to the side the whole time and never spoke to anybody. "Oh those guys had a beef with us a few hundred years ago..they've never made it right." But they still showed up to pay respects (and gift $$) :wow

I was born in Lima Ohio and intend to die...

at, near Mt Hamilton Road, or close by, where I have been living the dream. There is family cabin in Mineral CA which is spectacular, but east san ho is pretty great.

Right on. A former coworker/pal lives there with his lady friend. He says they have a cool residence loophole for foreigners where you can alternate visas, something like the regular visitor with the 6mo rent in advance deal, and he's just been living there nonstop.

I think now it is pretty much open range, many foreigners live there, buying properties, vacation houses...etc. Before civil war they could not stay there.
USA and Croatia are travel without visa since last year.
Looks like those properties are in villages judging by prices. It is what I want to do, get property just outside city and sell houses I have in city because they are worth a lot. One is in most expensive part, see arrow. I want to be mid way between city and mountains in back.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 21
My cousin married into a large Croatian family from LA and let me tell you those are some fun but serious people. The dad raised a lamb or five for the wedding meal, made wine, and prepared and served all the food. For 200 people. One group stayed to the side the whole time and never spoke to anybody. "Oh those guys had a beef with us a few hundred years ago..they've never made it right." But they still showed up to pay respects (and gift $$) :wow

That is how we roll :)

Attachments

• Lmb_on_Spit.jpg
    Lmb_on_Spit.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 16
way cool. the $$ thing freaks me out. We should not owe anybody any anything but our love.

way cool. the $$ thing freaks me out. We should not owe anybody any anything but our love.

It is wedding, you don't go without gift. Even here in USA.
Over there it is huge celebration, it used to be. It was lifetime commitment.
Now days they are getting closer to western world and multi weddings/divorces :)

I think now it is pretty much open range, many foreigners live there, buying properties, vacation houses...etc. Before civil war they could not stay there.
USA and Croatia are travel without visa since last year.
Looks like those properties are in villages judging by prices. It is what I want to do, get property just outside city and sell houses I have in city because they are worth a lot. One is in most expensive part, see arrow. I want to be mid way between city and mountains in back.

Absolutely gorgeous dude, I'm jealous! Yeah I don't know that I'd want to live right in town either. Foreigners flock to "city center" so they can do their daily things without a car, but it would be really nice to have a little space. Close enough that you could scooter into town.

Last edited:
Yea it is nightmare in summer with all tourists. I will be 15min out. Close enough to get my old ass to doctor or whatever needed but far enough to have privacy and few animals and garden.

Thnx for sharing. I do the same. Spain and Japan

https://instagram.com/cheaphousesjapan?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://instagram.com/cheappropertyspain?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

So chatting with a friend tonight. He’s been looking at Gold Beach, OR.

Zillow is promising.

Anyone gots intel?

We drove to Roseburg and crossed over to the coast and back down, stopping at gold beach for a few hours. It was a great area, easily nice enough to retire, but what are your hospital requirements? I really feel like a rgood retirement spot shouldn't be more than 15-30min from a medium sized city with a good sized hospital, and I'm not sure that area fits the bill.

Back