• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Vancouver was great when we moved from there in 1965....so should be good?
DT

So chatting with a friend tonight. He’s been looking at Gold Beach, OR.

Zillow is promising.

Anyone gots intel?

we looked at a place there, on a bluff looking over the ocean. someone else was faster on the trigger than us. at first we were pissed, but it worked out for the best (we ended up in the sierras, and are loving it).

Dan!

how you doing buddy!?

I was born and raised in SF, and lived in the south bay for pretty much all my adult life. I love the south bay, but it has become a bit crowded and since I have 2 young kids, we wanted them to grow up in a smaller town where they ride their bikes everywhere. We ended up in Danville after coming here for the last 3 years and doing research. Liking it so far, but different than the south bay (where we still have all our ties, as well as work)

I often think of where I want to end up later in life after the kids are grown, and I can't stop thinking of how the southbay (maybe LG foothills) has basically everything I need. There is a reason my parents are still there. Since they are retired, they don't drive much so the traffic doesn't bother them.

So chatting with a friend tonight. He’s been looking at Gold Beach, OR.

Zillow is promising.

Anyone gots intel?

We’ve spent a number of Thanksgiving holidays in gold beach and it’s a really cool town…I’d live there…even though I’m not an ocean person. The rogue river and mountains are all right there. Lots of hunting, fishing, and hiking. However, it’s pretty darn conservative/MAGA. Despite the political leanings, everyone has always been friendly to my wife, kid, and I. They don’t make comments to us about living in California.

It's a really good subtopic, which hopefully can be done without talking politics. I'd like to add a comment that we moved, *very* naively, from Davis (which I loved) to a rural sea of red. Had I known in advance, I'd have never done it, thinking I could never be around it, but after doing it, it's totally fine. I would highly recommend that if you like an area that is the political opposite of yourself, don't instantly write it off.

My folks moved up to Florence, which is a couple hours north of Gold Beach.
They had a 10 year plan.
It lasted less than 5.

They moved back to the San Diego area...they reported that the rain was just too much.
Of course this was more than a decade ago, maybe 2, but if you're not a fan of rain, I would avoid the Oregon Coast.

Gold Beach is dinky...less than 3K.

My brother and his wife just moved near Portland, and since Dad's gone, Mom went up there, too.
She's in a retirement building one bedroom apartment, there's a restaurant on sight and meals are included in her monthly rent.
Guess how much that is.

:teeth

Ok, looks like it is official, Hyper and I will be moving to Redding next month.
We had been in negotiations on a two year old home on the west side of Redding and I knew we were close. I said, throw in the Monkey and you have a deal!
First time I bought a expensive motorcycle and had a house thrown in for free! :)
4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3 car garage, rv parking and full hookups. Trails start at end of subdivision.
I see a e-mountain bike in my future.
DT

Nice! I'd be curious to know more about it as it pertains to wildfires. Is it in an area that has already burned and the fuel is gone now? If not, does it look defendable? How about the insurance side?

Yes, it was in the area of the car fire that hit the west side.
This neighborhood I believe was hit or miss from the fire.
It backs up to a small track of land ( kind of a swale) between streets. I will be responsible to keep the portion on our property clear.
We currently have 20 acres in fire country so this should be a breeze!
When we were looking at other areas ( Auburn, Grass Valley for example) all I could see is matchsticks all around the properties...lol
DT

That's great. I'd much rather be there than in a spot that hasn't been hit in a hundred years. I'm guessing out off of placer rd?

Areas with predominantly oak trees aren't so bad, presumably like where you're at. I see GV as being very different from Auburn, which is more like Redding. The canopy from oaks is deceiving compared to the pine/fir/cedar regions. Oaks have huge canopies from a single tree, so it looks bad from above, but then you clean up just one tree and you've made a big clearing. Those pine/fir/cedar regions like GV are packed tight and it's a crazy amount of work just to slightly thin it.

Redding has a bridge that's also a sundial!

:thumbup and an opaque walkway that used to be see-through (poor city planning is what my relatives in Redding say). The museum next to the bridge is cool but expensive, and the gardens opposite the bridge are pretty impressive.

Turtle bay is pretty cool, especially if you have kids. We went years ago when the titanic exhibit was there, lots of fun.

It gets hot af there though, like 5-10 degrees over Sac. Any type of pool or dunk tank is a must.

Vancouver was great when we moved from there in 1965....so should be good?
DT

Like anywhere Vancouver has its good and bad but overall just a hair cheaper than Portland at this point. I bought a place about an hour plus west of Portland cause it was affordable, it wasn't Portland/Tigard/Beaverton, and its kind of isolated. I've got a lake across the street, the river is three blocks downhill from my house, I've got awesome neighbours, and an interesting community to observe. Only real downsides for me are lack of dining options and a decent grocery store is 45 mins away.

Cannon beach is nice and Astoria is close to have "civilization" so its not to bad.

There is definitely something appealing about middle murica wide open spaces.

Back