• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

I think of it like food, as in, when you're within the gamut of normalcy, there are no bad foods, only dull palates.

I have to live somewhere that I can see mountains.

I visited Denver once.

You know, Denver. Colorado. Rocky Mountains. Great Divide?

No.

The Denver Airport in, I think, in Kansas. It is flat, flat, flat, and wide, wide, open.

I've lived around mountains my entire life, save for a short stretch in Stockton/Lodi area (can you see the foothills from there?).

So Cal with our ever present San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains, Tahoe and western Nevada with the Sierras. Even in the wastelands of Nevada, there are hills everywhere.

And I seriously think I had a slight bout of agoraphobia there in Denver. The horizon was far and wide and empty. It was actually jarring.

Redding

I will say, I miss the Bay Area weather, and the variety of roads and the friends I had there. I moved to Redding in May of 2018.
I have been very lucky at times in my life, and this is one of those times.
3,600 s.f. house on 2 acres with an over sized garage on one end and a 24x32 shop on the other. A year around creek is at the bottom of the lot. It looks like a park. This place sold for about half of what an ordinary Bay Area house on a small lot goes for. Yes, it gets hot in July and August, but I have learned to work around that. If it was not for those two months, this region would be sold out.
Great motorcycle roads, lakes, streams, and forest. Huge off road riding areas and strangers that will say Hi and offer to help you. My son lives in LA and was amazed at how friendly people are here. I have great neighbors here, and after the ones I had in Hayward, that is a big deal for me.
I live on the east side and the fires were no factor to me.
In the winter, the mountains are snow capped and pretty.
Now and then I am lonesome for the Bay Area (as I was born there and lived there all my life) but I will not be moving back.

Photos of the back yard and part of the shop.

Attachments

• P1030886.jpg
    P1030886.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P1030890.jpg
    P1030890.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040147.jpg
    P1040147.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1170978.jpg
    P1170978.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I will say, I miss the Bay Area weather, and the variety of roads and the friends I had there. I moved to Redding in May of 2018.
I have been very lucky at times in my life, and this is one of those times.
3,600 s.f. house on 2 acres with an over sized garage on one end and a 24x32 shop on the other. A year around creek is at the bottom of the lot. It looks like a park. This place sold for about half of what an ordinary Bay Area house on a small lot goes for. Yes, it gets hot in July and August, but I have learned to work around that. If it was not for those two months, this region would be sold out.
Great motorcycle roads, lakes, streams, and forest. Huge off road riding areas and strangers that will say Hi and offer to help you. My son lives in LA and was amazed at how friendly people are here. I have great neighbors here, and after the ones I had in Hayward, that is a big deal for me.
I live on the east side and the fires were no factor to me.
In the winter, the mountains are snow capped and pretty.
Now and then I am lonesome for the Bay Area (as I was born there and lived there all my life) but I will not be moving back.

Photos of the back yard and part of the shop.

I love it !! :thumbup :thumbup

I visited Denver once.

No.

The Denver Airport in, I think, in Kansas. It is flat, flat, flat, and wide, wide, open.

I've lived around mountains my entire life, save for a short stretch in Stockton/Lodi area (can you see the foothills from there?).

So Cal with our ever present San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains, Tahoe and western Nevada with the Sierras. Even in the wastelands of Nevada, there are hills everywhere.

And I seriously think I had a slight bout of agoraphobia there in Denver. The horizon was far and wide and empty. It was actually jarring.

And the mountains are on the wrong side. I kept going south when i thought i was going north.

I visited Denver once.

No.

THIS!
I visited Boulder with my daughter some years ago. She scored a very attractive scholarship and was interested in going - until she experienced Denver Airport and was completely freaked out by the vast flat plane between it and the Rockies. Once we got up into the Rockies, she was less freaked out, until she caught a view out over the plains.
It turns out that our need to be near hills and a coastline is a shared genetic trait.

Ok, pretty much official.
Hyper and I are now residents of Redding, Ca.
Escrow closes next week on our (nearly) new home and I cant wait.
We have ben living in our RV with two dogs for some time and I am ready to stretch ouuuut....and have a garage again!
We are on the outskirts on the west side of town in a newer area.
The new digs have what we were looking for at a price we could still afford.
Plenty of room, 3 car ( 20 bike? ) garage, Rv parking with full hook ups, eastern facing for that morning sun etc.
Looking forward to settling in.
DT

Attachments

• IMG-1617.jpg
    IMG-1617.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 36
The garages and pad look very useful!

We have ben living in our RV with two dogs for some time and I am ready to stretch ouuuut....and have a garage again!
Plenty of room, 3 car ( 20 bike? ) garage, Rv parking with full hook ups, eastern facing for that morning sun etc.
DT

Very nice home. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on the new place. It's not official until you sign all of the papers, pay all of the money, and get the keys. But you're very, very close. :cool

Plenty of room, 3 car ( 20 bike? ) garage...
You'll only be able to fit about 8 bikes in there if you want to be able to get all of them out without moving something else for some of them. Otherwise you'll end up stacking them in something like this:
MYWQus6.jpg

Very nice. What subdivision (name) is this? I'm quite curious and would like to check in to it further. Thanks, Ken

DT

Congratulations on the new place. It's not official until you sign all of the papers, pay all of the money, and get the keys. But you're very, very close. :cool

You'll only be able to fit about 8 bikes in there if you want to be able to get all of them out without moving something else for some of them. Otherwise you'll end up stacking them in something like this:
MYWQus6.jpg

Just leaning a cool old RM on its side against some boxes...is your grass three feet tall too??

Just leaning a cool old RM on its side against some boxes...is your grass three feet tall too??
That was a long, long time ago in Pleasanton. The Ducati Monster in the photo got wrecked more than 20 years ago.

My current motorcycle parking area looks more like this:
h1OzreV.jpg

Ahhhhh that's much more gooder!

What was the old ~'92 Yamaha? Was it actually a YZ, or was it a WR? I love that era.

DT

Wow...great looking house! Love the roofline. Congratulations! :party And that driveway :love We share a single lane driveway with our neighbor, and it leads to our very small 1-car garage.

MYWQus6.jpg

Don't listen to him, DT! You don't need that kind of negativity :x
This is our aforementioned single-car garage and there are more than 8 bikes in it :teeth
IMG_0951-L.jpg

And, well, yeah...we do need to move things around sometimes :laughing

HuskyHoarderChick

Back