• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does every gym have a fat guy who walks around telling others they're doing it wrong while also shaming other fat people.
There's one of them at the local gym and its pretty hilarious.

Lot of annoying people:

• Grunter - fat gut and grunts even when lifting light.
• Pig Guy - Wears a tank top and has disgusting body odor.
• Filthy Guy - Clips toe nails in locker room w/o picking up.
• Snobby Old Guy - Wears new gym clothes, thinks he’s a stud, talks to young girls, doesn’t fully extend or contract because he lifts heavy wt to impress.
• Clueless Bro - There’s many.. guys who make up exercises that defy logic.
• Once a Year Guy - There’s many, they appear on Jan. 2nd and you won’t see them again for another year but thanks for subsidizing my gym.
• WTF Guy - Blow drying his pubes in front of the mirror. Really?
• Past His Prime Guy - He’s middle age. Was probably in shape during Clinton Administration. Along with hairstyle, attire, and exercise routine. Wears dad jeans. Rolls in S Class AMG so there’s that.

Last edited:
What exactly is the kip adding to your development besides being able to 'cheat' doing pull-ups?

it has always struck me as more of a crossFit gymnastic move than anything else. I've thought that ever since I saw my first crossFit competition and thought :wtf. :laughing

I think learning to use your body in any way possible has merit. Gymnastics is HARD. You are developing the ability to use your body as one functional, moving thing. Not just a collection of muscles to grow. If that is someones trip who am I to shit on it? I can do 10-12 Hanging pull ups and don't have the coordination to kip well at all. CrossFit in general rustled a lot of body building jimmies. I think its time for the old guard to realize there is more to fitness than trying to look like Mr Universe and that's OK. If you want to body build GO FOR IT! If you want to do something else GO FOR IT! Getting off the fucking couch is the most important thing.

That is all I have to say about this. Its a tired and pointless thing to argue really. Caring too much about how someone else exercises is stupid.

Lot of annoying people:

• Past His Prime Guy - He’s middle age. Was probably in shape during Clinton Administration. Along with hairstyle, attire, and exercise routine. Wears dad jeans. Rolls in S Class AMG so there’s that.

That is fucking priceless. It's also me, minus the hairstyle and attire, and sub the AMG for a M5 Competition.

Climber you might want to talk to Rob about diet and training. From the pics it looks like you're ready for next level development. I don't know what you eat but with some dedication to basics you can really get those abs to pop.

That is fucking priceless. It's also me, minus the hairstyle and attire, and sub the AMG for a M5 Competition.

Climber you might want to talk to Rob about diet and training. From the pics it looks like you're ready for next level development. I don't know what you eat but with some dedication to basics you can really get those abs to pop.
Thanks Beau, I'm still exploring the cooking thing, I had never put into my cooking more than the absolute minimum necesary and have found that I have a talent for turning out some really amazing meals now that I've settled into taking the time to being creative and putting the time in to make it properly, I've always been of the mind that if you're going to spend time doing something, you should take pride in it and always be your best.

I am going to be transitioning to more gluten free cooking and heavier on the brown (than white) rice, so that should make a big difference once I get fully into that phase. I'm not in a huge rush, it's kind of a novelty to get to the gym 5 days a week for months on end, the coaching and parenting really kept me from getting that much time in the gym over the past decade.

I'm finding the hardest part to get back is my arm definition. The size is back but the hard lines of my arms is going to take longer. But, I'm looking forward to see what I uncover when I finally do drop my body fat under 8 as it was up until I was 32.

Lot of annoying people:

• Snobby Old Guy - Wears new gym clothes, thinks he’s a stud, talks to young girls, doesn’t fully extend or contract because he lifts heavy wt to impress.
• Once a Year Guy - There’s many, they appear on Jan. 2nd and you won’t see them again for another year but thanks for subsidizing my gym.

Is it possible to be all of the above? Damn I think that is me except with the old broke down Yugo no S class here.

I always thought as kipping as a stepping stone to get to a strict pull up.

but i feel silly doing it, so im skipping it. :p I dont feel like trying to master yet ANOTHER movement. So trying to go from not being able to lift myself, to being able to lift myself without kipping or jumping.

today was russian kettle bell swings, some running, and hanging leg ups? dont know what they are called. Legs straight out and lift above your hips..

I always thought as kipping as a stepping stone to get to a strict pull up.

but i feel silly doing it, so im skipping it. :p I dont feel like trying to master yet ANOTHER movement. So trying to go from not being able to lift myself, to being able to lift myself without kipping or jumping.

today was russian kettle bell swings, some running, and hanging leg ups? dont know what they are called. Legs straight out and lift above your hips..

Good for you. I still do not see the point in kipping (as a stepping stone) as it's not really a great segway to doing an actual pullup. Using straps, holds or negative reps actually builds the muscles to do the exercise. Swinging around using momentum as the basis for getting above the bar does not seem to be an effective use of time when the goal is building up to doing the pullup.

The best way to get better at any exercise is to actually do it (on in this case segments of the exercise).

Last edited:
Lot of annoying people:

:laughing:thumbup

You forgot Dbag who never washes his workout outfit, but always brings it into the sauna to dry after a workout.

You forgot Dbag who never washes his workout outfit, but always brings it into the sauna to dry after a workout.
Then there is the guys who never bring a towel and track water all the way to the lockers, leaving a wet floor for you to take off and put on your shoes and socks.

Then there were the special ones who would back their behind up to the hand drier and pull their cheeks apart to dry their taint. :wtf

As if I needed a reminder as to why I workout at home only.
Geez.

men are gross

I was a janitor in high school. Cleaned toilets every night after school. Women > men in terms of disgustingness.

Today....

GYM

3x10 - Cable X Over
3x10 - Squat w/45 LB Plate
3x15 - OH 45 LB Plare Shldr Rotation
3x15 - Cable Upright X Over
1x10 - Push Up
6x10 - BB Bench Press
6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 5 = 40 - Dead Hang Pull Ups
3x10 - Hack Squat
5 x 10 - BB Wrist Curls

GUT

• 3 eggs and 2 potatoes
• 3 See’s Candies :twofinger
• Starbucks spinach and feta wrap
• 1 Gatorade
• Green Smoothie - spinach berries banana vegan pro & almond milk
• Fish

Last edited:
Thanks Beau, I'm still exploring the cooking thing...

I am going to be transitioning to more gluten free cooking and heavier on the brown (than white) rice, so that should make a big difference once I get fully into that phase....

I'm finding the hardest part to get back is my arm definition. The size is back but the hard lines of my arms is going to take longer. But, I'm looking forward to see what I uncover when I finally do drop my body fat under 8 as it was up until I was 32.

Don't eat grains unless they are whole. That's the difference between simple and complex carbs. And the definition you're looking for comes from diet more than anything. "Abs are made in the kitchen."

dude you know I will never want a car of yours more than the Cobra, but goddamn you make it tough.

2019 M5c with bigger down tubes and a slight ECU flash, 627 rwhp. It's fucking redonkulous, especially with the kid's booster seat in the back.

2650 total yards in the pool tonight. I felt slow but my 500 times were better. Go figure.

2650 total yards in the pool tonight. I felt slow but my 500 times were better. Go figure.
You're a stud! And you swam on a team when you were a kid, didn't you?

It's something a swimmer never really loses, from what I've seen, even after decades.

Fuck yeah, bro!

Now I'm hating you Dan...new challenge you gave me!

14 in first set. short rest ( I don't traditionally rest between sets except setting up for the next set). 12 on the next and then, donezy. I'm not going to full arms straight hanging...joint damage I worry about. But, you've given me a challenge!

And his brother who drops all of his "heavy" weights and crossover handles that are what we'd all know as "light". Yeah, fuck that dude!

men are gross

Totally, but our bathrooms are cleaner. Women's bathrooms are GeeeeeROSE!

2019 M5c with bigger down tubes and a slight ECU flash, 627 rwhp. It's fucking redonkulous, especially with the kid's booster seat in the back.

Trackday time. Leave the seat in the back. Let's go drive!

Now I'm hating you Dan...new challenge you gave me!

14 in first set. short rest ( I don't traditionally rest between sets except setting up for the next set). 12 on the next and then, donezy. I'm not going to full arms straight hanging...joint damage I worry about. But, you've given me a challenge!

Fuck yeah, berto!

Fyi I also don’t go full arms straight hanging for the same reason.

All twelve pounds of my loco moco and margaritas Hawaiian vacation fat are gone again. Took six days. :banana

I should hit New Years' easily under 220. Was 260 in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back