• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be some overlap on those splits. What is the frequency of the workouts? Also 3x5's are pretty popular these days although if the fitness goal is to lose weight, I'd probably up the workload (if the person working out is no longer a beginner or new lifter).

Regardless of goals or frequency, make an effort to mix up the order, set range and rep range of exercises to prevent the body from getting used to the workout.

I get what you're saying but IMO a beginner needs things kept simple, even if Dad is controlling the program. A side goal is also to get the kid to learn enough to start programming his own workout, and that A/B split looks like a fine enough base to begin with.

I was in the Pool for an hour last night. 500 freestyle swim, 500 kick with flippers and 500 pull with hand paddles. Got that done in about 40 minutes. The rest was 50 yard sprints on the "as fast as I can recover". Real swimmers put me to shame but that was a pretty good pool workout for me. The master swimmer kid in the lane next to me was a god damn fish I swear.

Keep at it gang!

^^ Props man! I can't swim worth a damn and really want to get better. Might higher a coach for a few lessons in the summer to better my form. I get lost on the breathing and try to paddle and kick too fast.

Joe Thomas, retired nfl lineman, lost a ton of weight doing keto, swimming, and intermittent fasting. Does help he's got millions of $$ in the bank and no 9-5 but the results are impressive.

beforeafter-370x297.png

Last edited:
Can't wait until Monday. I see the Ortho again and hopefully, he releases me to start doing some workouts again.

Been trying to get max healing during the last month so haven't been restricting calories and eating tons of protein to keep the bodies healing machine in tons of resources. Depending on what he says Monday I may start my diet again and start hitting the weights and more aerobics. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Workouts aside, it has been said "You can't outrun a bad diet". For me, as much as I workout, train, etc. nothing changes in my body composition unless I do reduction in calories and stave off carbs - bread products to be precise.

I have gotten to the point of where I know I can drop 5-10 lbs simply by altering my diet for 4-6 weeks. We are going to Bermuda in 4 weeks - and I have gone from 208 to 196 in 4 weeks. No change in training (possibly I train less), but dietary changes along with supplementation to make up for the protein loss in weight cut due to calorie reduction.

Workouts aside, it has been said "You can't outrun a bad diet". For me, as much as I workout, train, etc. nothing changes in my body composition unless I do reduction in calories and stave off carbs - bread products to be precise.

I have gotten to the point of where I know I can drop 5-10 lbs simply by altering my diet for 4-6 weeks. We are going to Bermuda in 4 weeks - and I have gone from 208 to 196 in 4 weeks. No change in training (possibly I train less), but dietary changes along with supplementation to make up for the protein loss in weight cut due to calorie reduction.

Absolutely. I quit getting stoned every night and pigging out. I'm 20 pounds lighter since December. Who would have thought? I still like to get high every now and then but I can't do it daily. I can't do it at night. It has to be associated with an activity. I have also reduced my bread intake to "cheat days" only. I try to keep those to 4 or less per month. Kicking as much sugar as I can has also helped big time. Carrots taste sweet now and sweet potatoes are amazing. It all adds up.

btw, I don't thing I overshared too much in this post but, I am convinced that a major part of being fit, mentally and physically, is being honest with yourself and others. I don't think you can reach your goals with out that.

Last edited:
^^ Props man! I can't swim worth a damn and really want to get better. Might higher a coach for a few lessons in the summer to better my form. I get lost on the breathing and try to paddle and kick too fast.

Joe Thomas, retired nfl lineman, lost a ton of weight doing keto, swimming, and intermittent fasting. Does help he's got millions of $$ in the bank and no 9-5 but the results are impressive.

beforeafter-370x297.png

My inspiration: my friend Roberta Saum
All it takes is consistency and commitment. I'm stalled out this week on account of ice cream, stress, and lack of sleep. Back to more protein and whole foods.

a35392_d448e7874d2149eda4699b55ae1fa139~mv2.jpg

Toyed with the idea of either getting a personal trainer or joining a group fitness class thing. I emailed a few places with specific questions.

Literally, the worst thing a place can do is say "Hey Kim, why don't we set up some time for you to come in and we can go over your fitness goals? Let me know what time works for you"

Didn't answer any questions and guaranteed I won't be coming into your gym.

Toyed with the idea of either getting a personal trainer or joining a group fitness class thing. I emailed a few places with specific questions.

Literally, the worst thing a place can do is say "Hey Kim, why don't we set up some time for you to come in and we can go over your fitness goals? Let me know what time works for you"

Didn't answer any questions and guaranteed I won't be coming into your gym.

My physical therapist recommended an awesome trainer. She didn't try to kill me, designed programs around my specific injuries, and gives just the right amount of push.

Absolutely. I quit getting stoned every night and pigging out. I'm 20 pounds lighter since December. Who would have thought? I still like to get high every now and then but I can't do it daily. I can't do it at night. It has to be associated with an activity. I have also reduced my bread intake to "cheat days" only. I try to keep those to 4 or less per month. Kicking as much sugar as I can has also helped big time. Carrots taste sweet now and sweet potatoes are amazing. It all adds up.

btw, I don't thing I overshared too much in this post but, I am convinced that a major part of being fit, mentally and physically, is being honest with yourself and others. I don't think you can reach your goals with out that.

Oddly enough, getting stoned every night makes me eat less :laughing for whatever reason when I get high I develop an appetite for water, specifically sparkling water, Im weird.

I ride my bicycle about 8-10 hours a week year round, I cut out Beer + most carbs, and I have dropped about 10lbs in the last 3 weeks. Me and two friends are riding from SF - Venice Beach in June and I want to drop another 20 before then, I have two months so I think I should be able to do it.

Oddly enough, getting stoned every night makes me eat less :laughing for whatever reason when I get high I develop an appetite for water, specifically sparkling water, Im weird.

I ride my bicycle about 8-10 hours a week year round, I cut out Beer + most carbs, and I have dropped about 10lbs in the last 3 weeks. Me and two friends are riding from SF - Venice Beach in June and I want to drop another 20 before then, I have two months so I think I should be able to do it.

More power to ya brother. I have almost zero munchie control. I do like to pedal with a stony buzz tho. sadly I have had more beer than I would otherwise without the bud. Not every night but, more than when I got stoned frequently. I'm still coming out ahead with much reduced smoking. Water to cotton mouth is amazing I do agree!

I lost 5-7 pounds this year. On one hand cool. On the other weird since I eat the same and exercise the same.

I lost 5-7 pounds this year. On one hand cool. On the other weird since I eat the same and exercise the same.

Cutting out the 1-2 beers I would have a night resulted in losing a bunch of weight really quickly for me, that was a couple of hundred calories a day I was basically getting rid of in my diet.

That being said I can fluctuate 5lbs after taking my morning dump, so theres that.

More power to ya brother. I have almost zero munchie control. I do like to pedal with a stony buzz tho. sadly I have had more beer than I would otherwise without the bud. Not every night but, more than when I got stoned frequently. I'm still coming out ahead with much reduced smoking. Water to cotton mouth is amazing I do agree!

I used to be like that, not sure what changed. I think maybe drinking so much water is making me feel full or something along those lines. And I know what you mean with the beer thing, I basically replaced my evening beer with evening bud, probably the biggest reason I have been dropping so much weight.

Last edited:
Achievement unlocked. I jogged to the gym tonight, did my workout and then jogged home. About 3.5 miles of running total. Yeah my gym is pretty close by. I should have been doing this years ago lol. Still feels good and it was a first. I signed up to do the Santa Cruz Wharf to Wharf this year. Another first. I hate running so im trying to get used to it. I almost didn't hate it tonight. Almost.

Achievement unlocked. I jogged to the gym tonight, did my workout and then jogged home. About 3.5 miles of running total. Yeah my gym is pretty close by. I should have been doing this years ago lol. Still feels good and it was a first. I signed up to do the Santa Cruz Wharf to Wharf this year. Another first. I hate running so im trying to get used to it. I almost didn't hate it tonight. Almost.

Congrats on the run. It takes a bit but when it kicks in running will be fun. I wish I was that close to my gym if I tried that it would be a 20-mile round trip. If the roads here were a little more bike friendly I would try to ride it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back