• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with everyone. Just want to add that as an older gent I have to face reality and realize I’m no longer in my 20s so I have to take care of my body, avoid injury, stay fit so I can still move around when I’m really old, accept that I won’t be as strong as my youth, and work around all these physical constraints I have now, e.g, bad shoulder, impinged ulnars, two hernias, two hand surgeries, one back surgery, and old and creaky joints. For the young BARFers, take care of your body now so you can be active later in life. And wear sunscreen!

Come on man. Nobody listens to old guys!

I agree, except i will be absolutely stronger than i was in my 20s.

I agree, except i will be absolutely stronger than i was in my 20s.

Shark, let’s do this!

So back home and hit the gym:

GYM

5x10 - Dead Hang Pull Ups
5x10 - Hanging Leg Raise
1x50 - Push Up
7x10 - Bench Press
7x10 - Bodyweight Squat
3x10 - Leg Press
3x10 - Calf Raise
3x10 - Leg Extension
3x10 - DB Curl/Shoulder Press Combo
3x15 - Cable Face Pull
3x10 - DB Side Laterals
3x12 - OH 45-LB Plate Shoulder Rotation Thingie

FOOD

Burger King Sausage Croissanwich :twofinger
1 Orange
Greek Yogurt with Honey
Starbucks Low Fat Sandwich
Random Halloween Candy :twofinger
Pre Workout
2 Skinless Chicken Breasts & Raw Spinach
Pro Shake - 24g
1 Pear

Last edited:
I like that its 2020 and we still have a thread that says "Time To".

But to actually contribute, I wonder what many people who work out regularly think about the "slow burn" theory, of doing about 20 very deliberate reps of a given exercise with the purpose of NOT using momentum but of kind of mindfully tending every moment of the rep.

I have been gravitating more and more to it, though I do about 40 reps of each machine exercise at City Sports, where I work out.

It's excruciatingly slow but I think I'm starting to really benefit from it. I'm too old to gain muscle mass, according to the common theory, so I haven't been able to add weight much but I am finding that some of the routines are getting a bit easier and I'm getting more toned underneath all the fat.

If you're doing a routine for performance enhancement in sports, etc, don't discount one of the most important benefits: building stronger neural pathways. Isolation exercise (IMO) are more effective to target specific muscles to perform a specific movement that's relevant to your sport. Not all need to be this, but many should. The whole point of controlling the weight is an excellent way to move weight, IME. Less injury too.

You need to recognize when you're doing damage and stop immediately. A few times I ignored stuff and pushed through to finish a set. Then ended working around a sore joint for a month waiting for it to recover.

I didnt get around to answering until today, but I wanted to remark that this is the hardest thing to know: what is too hard, and what is the necessary amount of challenge and exertion?

When I went to Kaiser doc about knee, he kept saying "listen to the knee" when I asked whether or when I should start walking or doing leg machines at the gym. It was kind of frustrating though I understand the point.

I only use machines because the motions are proscribed and smooth, not jerky. When I look at the free weight guys, or the people over on the personal training floor, I see a million ways to torque wrists, ankles, knees, backs etc.

Hopefully I am doin it right but like I said, knowing what is too much is hard and as a geezer, it's very easy to be conservative about overdoing it.

I also wanted to say this about muscle mass loss: one of the simplest ways I can tell what is happening to my body is that, for the last ten years, I have generally only fueled my bike via a 5 gal gas can, because with the Bonnie, it gets messy at the station with overflows and such. In these ten years, that fucker has gotten heavier. It's really frustrating. The KIND of strength you have when you are young are handling tasks, like carrying a sack of concrete, carrying a 5 gal paint bucket, etc etc. It's noticeable, and even though I work out, it has gotten a bit harder. I mean, I ain't dead yet and I can manage, but I don't seem to have the "grunt" strength I once did for such things no matter what I do. And, no lie, it's hard on the ol male ego.

Last edited:
I didnt get around to answering until today, but I wanted to remark that this is the hardest thing to know: what is too hard, and what is the necessary amount of challenge and exertion?

When I went to Kaiser doc about knee, he kept saying "listen to the knee" when I asked whether or when I should start walking or doing leg machines at the gym. It was kind of frustrating though I understand the point.

I only use machines because the motions are proscribed and smooth, not jerky. When I look at the free weight guys, or the people over on the personal training floor, I see a million ways to torque wrists, ankles, knees, backs etc.

Hopefully I am doin it right but like I said, knowing what is too much is hard and as a geezer, it's very easy to be conservative about overdoing it.

I also wanted to say this about muscle mass loss: one of the simplest ways I can tell what is happening to my body is that, for the last ten years, I have generally only fueled my bike via a 5 gal gas can, because with the Bonnie, it gets messy at the station with overflows and such. In these ten years, that fucker has gotten heavier. It's really frustrating. The KIND of strength you have when you are young are handling tasks, like carrying a sack of concrete, carrying a 5 gal paint bucket, etc etc. It's noticeable, and even though I work out, it has gotten a bit harder. I mean, I ain't dead yet and I can manage, but I don't seem to have the "grunt" strength I once did for such things no matter what I do. And, no lie, it's hard on the ol male ego.
One thing that I've focused on for the last several years is to keep my core very strong and to maintain all of my joints by building the muscles and soft tissues around them in order to avoid injury.

Another thing that I've done over the last decade is to keep the weight at where I can do 18 reps and not move up until I can do 20 reps comfortably. That keeps me out of trouble and keeps me from putting too heavy of a load on my joints. Another rule I imposed is the 90 degree rule where I don't bend my arms and knees beyond that when lifting, the force on your tendons go up significantly after 90 degrees. I also start down a few weights on my first set then move up when those joints/muscles are warmed up.

I have to be very careful about what I do in the gym also. I tore my ACL in my right knee and partially tore my left knee ligaments up as well playing Basketball when I was younger. I also tore my shoulders up playing football and a few vehicle accidents.

I know the doctor's advice is frustrating but you will really have to listen to your body. I know when my limit is reached because my joints will tell me. When I run I can tell when my knees have had it and I know that when I push too far I need to rest them and will take days off from doing anything that stresses them because I don't want to have surgery again especially not at my age.

I also tore my left shoulder up pretty good 5 years or so ago and finally got it fixed this year. Prior to this year, I had to be really careful because my shoulder would pop out randomly when I was doing things. That was one of the reasons I got back to the gym was to try and strengthen the shoulder area so this did not happen so easily but the cards were in my favor and surgery became feasible this year so I took that route but I think the work in the gym really helped with recovery time and in me getting back my strength quickly after surgery.

One thing that worked for me was taking an Omega oil supplement. it has Omega 3-6-9 in it and when I take it my knees feel better and they hurt worse when I stop taking it. This is a sample size of one so take it for what it is worth. I tried the Glucosamine supplements but they didn't work for me and made my knees hurt worse so not sure what happened with that one.

Don't be afraid to do free weights because it will help stabilize a bunch of other muscle groups. Start with low/no weights on the bars and go easy. Don't worry about weight so much just try to push a little more each time. I usually do 4 sets of 10 with a given weight and when I can do all 4 sets with no issues then I will move up the weight a small increment. Also don't forget to do a few warm up sets before you add your workout weight it helps a lot.

So just go slow and listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right then just stop and evaluate what you are doing to make sure your body isn't trying to tell you something. Don't be afraid to walk away from a set if something doesn't feel right and put off that exercise until next time.

That's all I got BA good luck at the gym.........

you should give that a shot dude. hell, i love you for all the inspiration in this thread and i don't even know you :cool

Very kind of you to say, thanks brah.

Playlist: Die Antwoord, If These Trees Could Talk, and Alcest.

Row 20 minutes
30 minute run 270ft elevation
30 minute hike 740ft elevation
Shoulder press sets of 8 to failure (13 sets @ 205lbs)

20oz protein shake
7oz spinach
1 banana
4 egg burrito
1/2 avocado
1500 more calories to come in bean chips and turkey

Maybe row again too if my brain starts talking shit to me. EDIT: it did, I put in another 15 on the waterrower.

Last edited:
Friday night at the gym is the best!

WORKOUT

1x50 - Push Up
2x15 - Dead Hang Pull Up
3x15 - Rotator Cuff No. 1
3x15 - Rotator Cuff No. 2
10x10 - BB Military Press
5x10 - DB Military Press
2x15 - Face Pull
3x15 - Hanging Leg Raise
3x15 - Cable Glute Extension
3x250 Feet - Farmer’s Carry with 45 LB Plates
3x10 - BB Upright Row
3x10 - OH Shoulder Rotation with 45 LB Plate
3x10 - BB Squat

NUTRITION

• Burger King Sausage Croissanwich :twofinger
• 1 Pear
• Nonfat Greek Yogurt with Pineapple
• Chicken Wrap, Carrots and Apple
• Pro Smoothie - 32g
• Pre Workout
• Tofu, Brown Rice, 2 Meatballs and Grilled Vaggies
• Pro Shake - 24g
• 1 Banana
• 1 Pear

Climbing gym was full of New Year resolutonists. heh
Plus side did 11c cleanly, and did OK on 12 A. Just three move sequence I need to power through, and well overall endurance. haha

Climbing gym was full of New Year resolutonists. heh
Plus side did 11c cleanly, and did OK on 12 A. Just three move sequence I need to power through, and well overall endurance. haha
Which gym do you climb at?

One thing I used to do. After climbing a route 6 or more times, I would climb it blindfolded without anybody telling me where the next hold was, it got me to be more aware of what my body did through the route.

I have to be very careful about what I do in the gym also. I tore my ACL in my right knee and partially tore my left knee ligaments up as well playing Basketball when I was younger. I also tore my shoulders up playing football and a few vehicle accidents.

I know the doctor's advice is frustrating but you will really have to listen to your body. I know when my limit is reached because my joints will tell me. When I run I can tell when my knees have had it and I know that when I push too far I need to rest them and will take days off from doing anything that stresses them because I don't want to have surgery again especially not at my age.

I also tore my left shoulder up pretty good 5 years or so ago and finally got it fixed this year. Prior to this year, I had to be really careful because my shoulder would pop out randomly when I was doing things. That was one of the reasons I got back to the gym was to try and strengthen the shoulder area so this did not happen so easily but the cards were in my favor and surgery became feasible this year so I took that route but I think the work in the gym really helped with recovery time and in me getting back my strength quickly after surgery.

One thing that worked for me was taking an Omega oil supplement. it has Omega 3-6-9 in it and when I take it my knees feel better and they hurt worse when I stop taking it. This is a sample size of one so take it for what it is worth. I tried the Glucosamine supplements but they didn't work for me and made my knees hurt worse so not sure what happened with that one.

Don't be afraid to do free weights because it will help stabilize a bunch of other muscle groups. Start with low/no weights on the bars and go easy. Don't worry about weight so much just try to push a little more each time. I usually do 4 sets of 10 with a given weight and when I can do all 4 sets with no issues then I will move up the weight a small increment. Also don't forget to do a few warm up sets before you add your workout weight it helps a lot.

So just go slow and listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right then just stop and evaluate what you are doing to make sure your body isn't trying to tell you something. Don't be afraid to walk away from a set if something doesn't feel right and put off that exercise until next time.

That's all I got BA good luck at the gym.........
Thanks for taking the time and those good tips and shared cautions! It’s probably tiresome to younger peeps but this is their future, too!

Which gym do you climb at?

One thing I used to do. After climbing a route 6 or more times, I would climb it blindfolded without anybody telling me where the next hold was, it got me to be more aware of what my body did through the route.

PG in Sunnyvale.

That's hardcore. I am nowhere near that level. Just kind of muddle through it.

Dealing with a head cold and feeling really unfit. The only upside is I can’t wait to be well and have some fire In My workouts again.

Last edited:
Dealing with a head cold and feeling really unfit. The only upside is I can’t wait to be well and have some fire In My workouts again.
I found steam and ginger are the two best things to get over a head cold quicker.

Good luck!

MUSIC

New Order
Book of Love
When in Rome
Starship

WORKOUT

30 Min Row
3x15 - Straight Arm Pull Down
3x15 - Cable Row
3x15 - DB Lunge
3x15 - Hip Thrust
3x10 - Bar Dip
3x20 - DB Wrist Curl
3x15 - Crunches

FOOD

• 2 eggs, turkey sausage, 1 slice wheat toast
• Green Smoothie - spinach, banana, berries, almond milk & vegan protein
• Lamb skewers, rice and salad.
• Pro Shake - 24g

Last edited:
What kind of steaming?

And is ginger tea okay or should one eat it?
Eating it is best, though the Asian Salabat (ginger tea, sometimes with Cayenne pepper) or ginger and sugar cane packages are good. You can get ginger candy (chewable) at Trader Joes, or Carmalized Ginger from Sprouts.

A steam room is best for steam, but you can use a personal steamer or the old fashioned way of steaming pot with a towel over your head (you might have seen this in some older movies and wondered wtf they were doing).

Dude that sucks. So sorry brah; get better quicker with oregano oil, sublingual zinc, and vitamin C.

MUSIC

New Order
Book of Love
Memories. I saw Book of Love at the 9:30 Club in DC in 1989. Wow, thirty years ago.

20 minute row

The usual foods at about 3500 calories. I overdid it yesterday so I'm tired, tomorrow I will reclaim what I lost today.

EDIT: Because of posting in this thread about my lack of motivation rekindled my want and I went back out to the garage and rowed for another 32 minutes. Thanks y'all, you keep me pushing. Soundtrack: Wolfsheim

Last edited:
Memories. I saw Book of Love at the 9:30 Club in DC in 1989. Wow, thirty years ago.

Jealous. Dan's playlist would hit the spot. Listened to BoL's album three weeks ago. My GF was trying to remember the name of one of their songs and I had it out before she was finished. Practically no one knows Book of Love these days. We're perfect for each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back