• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on Potassium. Dried banana chips are a good source.

Also, Amazon has an assortment of electrolyte powders where you're not getting sugar with it, like you do with sports drinks.

I forgot the specific items that were recommended here, but I remembered potassium & bananas, and had some bananas this week including one this morning.

My other calf (left gastroc) locked up hard during my workout tonight.

A few years ago an alternative health practitioner prescribed me a few things for this. a mineral supplement and two foods (both greens). It worked then. The supplement was discontinued and I started using the replacement, and that seems OK, but I haven't been eating the foods regularly lately, and I think next step is go back to that.

A lot of these occur the next day after my calves got worked, and most occur after maybe 2 1/2 hrs of motorcycling that day. Maybe I need a geezer glide with floorboards. :afm199

Next I think is add in the two greens that helped before, and maybe coconut water. The Geezer Glide can wait.

FWIW it happened 10 years ago when I was free soloing a relatively easy route. Both calves simultaneously. Thought I was minutes from a death fall. I was wrong...

44. Not a Magnum, neither.

I remember having longer recovery time on my 40s than 30s, but I was stronger in my 40s as well. Good years for fitness stuff. Honestly it's pretty OK in my late 50s too.

Great to hear David. That encourages me!

FWIW it happened 10 years ago when I was free soloing a relatively easy route. Both calves simultaneously. Thought I was minutes from a death fall. I was wrong...
Bad time to have that happen!

Glad you got through it!

I went through a 2 month period where I really wanted to free solo a 3 pitch climb. I had it wired and ran out the 3rd pitch 100 feet. But, I had a young daughter so I didn't.

Expedition mountaineering program kicked into high gear this week. 1500-2500' vertical gain hikes twice a week, two core and strength days (135# box steps yay) and running on the "off" days.

And some yoga.

Amazing how fast a change of routine will show gains, my strength circuit tonight felt much better than the one I did Tuesday, despite no real rest days since then.

118 days until Denali.

Expedition mountaineering program kicked into high gear this week. 1500-2500' vertical gain hikes twice a week, two core and strength days (135# box steps yay) and running on the "off" days.

And some yoga.

Amazing how fast a change of routine will show gains, my strength circuit tonight felt much better than the one I did Tuesday, despite no real rest days since then.

118 days until Denali.
Are you adding any weight for your hikes?

I used to spend 4 months training for carrying a 100# pack up 3400 vertical feet up a steep mountain with my dad and alternatively brother and sister to get my dad to the top of a mountain in Eastern Quebec to study caribou herd that he had been going to since the 1960's. We'd spend 5 days on the top, traversing 12 miles a day average over rough terrain. I started my 4 mile 1200 vertical feet loop and slowly add weight until I loaded my vest with 40 lbs and a water bladder and run it. The climb was still no joke but I was 50 last time I did it and my dad 79 and carrying a 45 lb pack 6 months after knee replacement surgery. The cool thing was that by the end of the 4 months I had dropped over 25 lbs and went into eating season really fit.

My 40# vest lives in the back of the car, Smith Rock State Park is about twenty minutes from work, so I can usually bail early and go get a lap in before dark.

I'm faster now with the vest than I was a couple months ago without it.

Weekend climbs are starting to pick up weight, usually my expedition pack loaded to 40-50#. On Denali we'll be dragging a loaded sled on skis or snowshoes, so that particular hell gets incorporated starting next month. :)

Last edited:
My 40# vest lives in the back of the car, Smith Rock State Park is about twenty minutes from work, so I can usually bail early and go get a lap in before dark.

I'm faster now with the vest than I was a couple months ago without it.

Weekend climbs are starting to pick up weight, usually my expedition pack loaded to 40-50#. On Denali we'll be dragging a loaded sled on skis or snowshoes, so that particular hell gets incorporated starting next month. :)
Wow. Good work on your prep!

How much weight do you lose in the process? I know my body transformed considerably during the whole process finishing by the time I came down off the mountain. Then I'd return and wear shorts, sandals and t-shirts down to 26 (coldest day, after return) when dropping my daughter off at school including walking her in. :laughing

Red X for me yesterday.

Soundtrack: Perfect Circle, Duran Duran

20 minute row
Lat pulldowns sets of 8 to failure 15 sets at 225lbs
Sand surfing 6 runs

20oz protein shake
6oz spinach
1 banana
1/2 cup oats
1 apple fritter because a man needs some pleasure now and again
10oz freah turkey
1 head broccoli
1 cup egg noodles
5 golf ball sized Korean beef meatballs
1/2 bag Beanfield's bean chips

Last edited:
Hey Beau, how many meals do you eat?

What are some of your diet fundamental principles?

For example, I avoid high fat high carb meals. I like to do intermittent fasting sometimes. Try to get protein with all meals. Carb cycle etc.

I took off for a 3-day weekend to Guadalajara. No gym but lots of urban-walking (has to count for something).

Diet is out the window. Street tacos, tortas, taquitos, arroz de leche, flan, rinse and repeat. Back to the gym & diet on Monday.

Wow. Good work on your prep!

How much weight do you lose in the process? I know my body transformed considerably during the whole process finishing by the time I came down off the mountain. Then I'd return and wear shorts, sandals and t-shirts down to 26 (coldest day, after return) when dropping my daughter off at school including walking her in. :laughing

Thanks! I'm down about 40# right now, from 255 last summer to 215 today, with probably another 20 to go before June. I got close to this fitness level about fifteen years ago, when I was racing bicycles and doing rides like the 130 mile 15,000 foot vertical Tour of the California Alps (The Death Ride) but this is the first time it's ever been driven by a real purpose. Feels amazing.

I don't recall, know you're a very accomplished rock climber, what was the big mountain story?

I don't recall, know you're a very accomplished rock climber, what was the big mountain story?
My dad had been going to the top of a mountain in Eastern Quebec to study a caribou herd since the mid 60's. He'd go up each year to follow the herd and count them during rutting season in early October to get an accurate count. His knee was really deteriorating by the early 2000's from a knee injury his senior year that cost him a scholership, back then you had a 50/50 chance of full recover so he never had the surgery.

My sister and youngest brother started going up with him to help carry some of the gear so he could get to the top, I started after a few years, by then he was in his late 70's. We'd spend 5 days on the top of the mountain and had to carry all food, water and gear to the top, this included a spotting scope, binoculars, video and film cameras and enough to camp and live on. The climb was 3400 vertical feet on a steep trail and my pack was around 100lbs (measured) which is a lot heavier than it sounds when you're in your late 40's, early 50's. I finally talked him into getting knee replacement they year he was going to turn 79 and that was huge for him as he became much more active. When I was a child he used to spend 6 weeks at a time following the caribou herds in Alaska on ski's and snow shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back