• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
u could try this for pull-up training. tie some rope to a dumbbell, drape it over the pull-up bar, and tie the other side to your waist/belt/pant loops. a carabiner or two would help if u got em. u can use diff weights to adjust how much help you get. this way u can do a good # of reps.

Dont think I have enough weight for the amount of help I need at the beginning :laughing

Im gonna borrow a band from the gym, probably the easiest. I can jump and pull myself most of the way. Its that initial static movement pull of getting my body up that I cant get

u could try this for pull-up training. tie some rope to a dumbbell, drape it over the pull-up bar, and tie the other side to your waist/belt/pant loops. a carabiner or two would help if u got em. u can use diff weights to adjust how much help you get. this way u can do a good # of reps.

61WWJ4UJc6L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

They can also be used for a variety of exercises.

You can also get a set of these and do quite a few resistance training exercises at home.

71mYGR62MaL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

I have both plus the short ones for leg training.

Last edited:
my cycling race was just postponed to Nov 8th :cry

there goes a lot of my motivation to exercise. the surprising San Diego rain isnt helping either.

Its that initial static movement pull of getting my body up that I cant get

Kim, you are really close!

May I make a suggestion?

1) Scapular pull ups. 5x10, 3-4x a week.

[YOUTUBE]/wtzkz3pOjyE[/YOUTUBE]

2) Lat pulls:

• light weight: high reps (20), explosive when pulling down to build strength for when you’re in the starting position of a pull up, go slow when going back up with total control. 5x20, 2-3x a week.
• heavy weight: 1-2 reps of with weight that you can only do 1-2 reps. 1x1-2x 2-3x a week. This is to pysche you up for overcoming whatever mental block you have regarding pull ups.

3) Hook grip on pull up or lat pull (thumb on same side of bar as fingers).

4) When doing pull up, tighten core, legs, ass, etc. By tightening the rest of your body you will be more energy efficient - similar to picking up a water balloon versus a frozen water balloon.

6) Make sure you’re taking in protein.

I am confident you will crank out 2 dead hang pull ups within 2 weeks or I’ll eat 5 pounds of German Shepherd poo.

Last edited:
We do these at the gym. But yea I dont do them often enough. Every day going to doing scap pulls and slow negatives. Im also convinced I engage the wrong muscles, practice practice practice. :) and since I dont want you eating german shepard poop looks like i got 30 days to get a pull up! :p

Gym is closed so I picked up my borrowed equipment and set up an area downstairs. Excuse the mess CO is known for unfinished basements :p it will get finished one day.

49673439478_9d19b49ac6_c.jpg

49673439658_97871270da_c.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse the mess CO is known for unfinished basements :p it will get finished one day.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHaaaaaaaaa.........:rofl

My unfinished bonus room is still unfinished 12 years later and guess where I work. It has fans, lights, and internet who needs drywall and floors that for wimps.:afm199

Been busting out some pushups, sit-ups and leg lifts during working hours and then doing stuff outside after work as we now have sunshine when I get off. Put in a trellis for some grapes yesterday. Also going to rearrange the bonus room and break out the treadmill from cold storage. Hmm need to find those dumbbells also.

*edit* looks like you already got this part
Also good is doing hanging holds and a lot of negative reps. Athlene X has a nice video on pullup technique too.

Last edited:
We do these at the gym. But yea I dont do them often enough. Every day going to doing scap pulls and slow negatives. Im also convinced I engage the wrong muscles, practice practice practice. :) and since I dont want you eating german shepard poop Thanks, Kim. You rock! looks like i got 30 days to get a pull up! :p

Gym is closed so I picked up my borrowed equipment and set up an area downstairs. Excuse the mess CO is known for unfinished basements :p it will get finished one day.

49673439478_9d19b49ac6_c.jpg

You have a beautiful dog!

Since my gym is closed, I went to Big 5 searching for dumbbells. The first store in Pacheco only had 2 to 5 lb dumbbells. Raced over to the one in San Ramon and found one dumbbell worth buying - adjustable 25 pounds for $86!!

c1400x840q75.jpg

Big red X for me today. Got a lot of sleep and general lazy rest in though. I don’t feel bad about it, too much.

Our gym is shutting down at midnight after Fresno ordered a shelter in home order.

Heavy bag, pull-up dip station, extensive collection of resistence bands, 25# dumbells, two bikes, park within 1 mile with extensive trails. I'm good. This will force me to change my workout extensively, all good, in the long run. The biggest thing I'll miss is the steam room.

my cycling race was just postponed to Nov 8th :cry

there goes a lot of my motivation to exercise. the surprising San Diego rain isnt helping either.

Mine got canceled out right. It's one of the two A races of the season. It was my last chance to win that omnium. Next year I'll be a cat 2, so can say good bye to podiums let alone winning. :laughing

Hey Lizard!

I did a pull up this morning. Decided to try it after I woke up. So I’m in my jammies haha but I did it. :banana only on day 3 of practice. Maybe in 30 days I’ll be able to like 5 unbroken

Well to be clear I wasn’t dead hanging. I was just standing and pulled myself up.

Last edited:
That is great, Kim! :thumbup :party

The first one is the hardest for women, after that it's all about endurance!

Why limit yourself to 5? I'll bet you get more by the end of the month!

Under promise over deliver. :p

Actually I want to be able to do a dead hang pull up first. My arms were almost fully extended but not all the way.

So question to climbers. I have pull up bar at home, and hanging board. What can I do to at least not deteriorate too badly. Not that I was awesome to begin with, but I could find my way through most 11c and some 11d/12a. I don't want to come back and struggle on 10as again. I haven't really used them consistently because I went climbing twice a week, and I have no aspirations to red point 13as. Perfectly happy climbing 11s and just relax after work and be social.

Last edited:
So the oddest thing is happening right now. No gym just doing some bodyweight stuff at home and no treadmill and I have lost ~3lbs so far this week. I wonder if it is muscle mass going away already I mean it has been less than a week since I hit the gym. Been eating the same and I think my water intake has been the same if not more. It is so weird.

So question to climbers. I have pull up bar at home, and hanging board. What can I do to at least not deteriorate too badly. Not that I was awesome to begin with, but I could find my way through most 11c and some 11d/12a. I don't want to come back and struggle on 10as again. I haven't really used them consistently because I went climbing twice a week, and I have no aspirations to red point 13as. Perfectly happy climbing 11s and just relax after work and be social.

id do an ab workout and a mild hangboard workout. climbings indoor 11s can be accomplished with mostly skill & technique - strength isnt that important. I doubt ull lose too much if unable to go to the gym for 2-3 months. your first 1-3 sessions back will feel like garbage, but itll all come back really fast. just don't let this new sedentary lifestyle cause weight gain.

So the oddest thing is happening right now. No gym just doing some bodyweight stuff at home and no treadmill and I have lost ~3lbs so far this week. I wonder if it is muscle mass going away already I mean it has been less than a week since I hit the gym. Been eating the same and I think my water intake has been the same if not more. It is so weird.

I think its more likely that u are eating smaller portions because of less hunger from reduced exercise. I dont think muscle atrophy can happen that fast or that soon, especially if you arent starving yourself.

Last edited:
You won't lose a ton unless you're off more than 3 months. I used to actually be stronger after a couple weeks back following a 6 week recovery from pulley injuries.

Be very careful about over-training on the hanging board, you can easily injure yourself if you push it too hard. Do most work on the larger/deeper features on it, spend less than 5% of the time on the smallest features.

Pull-up bars are really good for a bunch of muscle groups. Adding dips (if you have them, you can do them in a chair with arm rests) and push-ups will hit most of your upper body muscles, though not to the degree of gym machines.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I used to do a press handstand from a sitting position on a chair with arm rests while traveling for work to stay in shape. I'm too old/heavy for that now, but it was a lot of fun, especially doing it at happy hour and seeing the reaction. :laughing

I wonder, now that the gyms are generally closed, how many members who have gained pounds will be clogging up the places when they re-open. :laughing

I wonder, now that the gyms are generally closed, how many members who have gained pounds will be clogging up the places when they re-open. :laughing
Most of them will find excuses not to return, especially the ones who joined in early January. Or if they do make it back in, it will be once and done for the vast majority. :laughing

Now, for the year around crowd, they'll want to look good in their bathing suits, so they might come more often than usual for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back