• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<<<<<<<<<<<< down 6lbs since starting this thread :banana

:thumbup

For me, since following this thread, regained 100% strength in right shldr so thanks for posting! It has helped. I follow this thread almost daily and enjoy reading everyones’s tips, stories, etc.

Muscle is denser than fat. You will gain muscle by working out depending on diet and intensity of your workouts. You may gain 10 pounds of muscle, lose 5 pounds of fat and end up weighing more but looking better. Don’t worry about the weight, focus on inches.

Great advice. I'd add that water weight can be a few lbs as well, which isn't a bad thing.

Well, I climbed up to the obsevitory on Mt Tam Sunday, felt like I was going to have a heart attack and hurl blood. So much for cardio at the gym-I'm going to go hike that thing once a week until it causes no pain.

That's awesome, congrats! :thumbup

Well, I climbed up to the obsevitory on Mt Tam Sunday, felt like I was going to have a heart attack and hurl blood. So much for cardio at the gym-I'm going to go hike that thing once a week until it causes no pain.

wowowo good job , from which Location? if it's from MV, then dangdang awesome.

I've (We've) done it from Pantoll.

wowowo good job , from which Location? if it's from MV, then dangdang awesome.

I've (We've) done it from Pantoll.

No, I’m so pathetic from the visitor center. It’s pretty steep and involves some prett big ledges.

Hit the gym for the first time in a while last night. I had gotten on the scale and saw that I gained 15 pounds after surgery so back to the grind.

Family came over yesterday as well so we had a pickup game of basketball. It was me and my granddaughter's boyfriend versus the girls. My twin 14-year-old girls and 16, 14 and 12-year-old granddaughters so 2 on 5. We had a great time although I would not recommend playing Bball barefoot on concrete then going to the gym to ride the stationary bike. The bottom of my feet were on fire and I could only do about 30 minutes and burn 165 calories.

Back to the gym tonight to do a leg workout seeing as with a bum shoulder any kind of upper body is a no-no according to the doc.

My problem is dropping food doesn't help as my body fights to keep its weight. Not sure other than PEDs what will help.

I would seriously discourage any use of PED's until your BF percentage is at or below 14%. They are hard on the cardio vascular system and its really got to be in good shape to endure the stress.

Burn more calories than you eat and you will loose weight. I promise.

No, I’m so pathetic from the visitor center. It’s pretty steep and involves some prett big ledges.

Hey that hike is no joke either! B and I did that one the most. Once we went from further down and wow that was hard like, REALLY hard.

Did I tell you that where he proposed? :love

on another note. I think my legs have FINALLY recovered. Its been a week to the day that my quads were just toast. Like unable to walk, Frankenstein, almost falling down the stairs cause my legs won't bend, sore. May do some like walking or jogging to keep the blood flowing. But nothing too big. I think there's 2 major "tests" Wednesday and Friday and I see what my levels are.

Gained 4lbs over 1 day :laughing

I will probably drop that in a couple of days.

It's insane when you mess with weight drops - I've had to do an extreme weight cut before and lost like 12 lbs in 4 days.

12 lbs in 4 days. What did u do.. Drink coffe and run on the treadmill all day.

I need to get it together and exercise. Ugh..

Mostly water weight I'm guessing. Sauna. Running in sweats and stuff.

I 'cheated' once doing a biggest loser challenge at one of my previous offices. One of our heaviest teammates was the most dedicated, losing a ton of weight, we didn't think we were gonna win.

So I just cut the weight at the end of the competition and rehydrated after weigh ins. Not a whole lot but enough of an extra push to win. It was that coworker's idea to round up people for the challenge in the first place, whether you were overweight or not and we were proud of them either way. :dunno

I need to get back on track. Now hovering around 200

From 3/23/18- 3/10/19 I lost 82lb (was 268) (well it was really 3/23/18- 10/12/18, but did not lose any more than 82 since i was cheating alot more)

Daily gym - 20 min cardio warmup, and hit the weights 2 muscle groups per day

Diet- Low carb Omad/IF (basically eating IF 22/2)

First few weeks were tough but once my body and mind got use to the schedule it felt like I was not even trying, and fit in like a glove

Last edited:
I would seriously discourage any use of PED's until your BF percentage is at or below 14%. They are hard on the cardio vascular system and its really got to be in good shape to endure the stress.

PEDs are a excellent way to junk your heart and liver. If there's a legit reason to use them, best to have a doctor monitor your status closely. Bro-science often overlooks the health concerns and emphasizes quite high dosages. Seems like the weening off strategies are haphazard.

Also, something to consider is getting hooked on them. Not in a physical sense, but mentally. I can only imagine what it would be like to go from jacked super-bro back to your regular self in a short period of time.

I guess everyone's mileage may vary and some people do fine using PEDs.

12 lbs in 4 days. What did u do.. Drink coffe and run on the treadmill all day.

I need to get it together and exercise. Ugh..

It was definitely water weight - weight cutting is dangerous, hard, and not healthy. I've done it for competition to make weight and it was stupid. I did it with a 7 day carb depletion and water restriction to bare minimal life supporting two days prior to a weigh in, I went from like 197 to 185, then literally blew up to 200lbs day of competition with water and carb intake. I didn't do much sauna.

PEDs are a excellent way to junk your heart and liver. If there's a legit reason to use them, best to have a doctor monitor your status closely. Bro-science often overlooks the health concerns and emphasizes quite high dosages. Seems like the weening off strategies are haphazard.

Also, something to consider is getting hooked on them. Not in a physical sense, but mentally. I can only imagine what it would be like to go from jacked super-bro back to your regular self in a short period of time.

A lot of people talk about PED's but not many people are open about personal usage. I have talked about my PED and steroid use for competition openly.

People ought to realize that bro science sucks, and I am glad I took far less than what my friends told me to do. This was back in the 90's, using Sustenon 250 8 weeks prior to competition and slowly moving over to water based Winstrol getting closer to competition. I was self injecting this stuff.

The psychological thing is overrated, as is the aggression factor. I tell people, if you are an asshole, you simply become a bigger asshole on PED's. I used these drugs to enhance myself for competition, but once I was done with competition, it was over. Also, I wasn't "huge". Offseason, I would only get to be about 215-220, then competition weight was 185 (200lbs after water and carb intake).

Generally speaking, if people are taking PED's and they are not competing - just using it for looks and nothing else, they often have deep psychological issues that are beyond "getting in shape" and "feeling good". Having been around these people and knowing them well, there is 1) often times a history of substance abuse and 2) family issues and other psychological factors going on. I've known so many bodybuilders who are "sober" but yet are on an ongoing cycle of HGH and steroids, non-stop. In my experience with non-competitive bodybuilders on steroids, is that they got some demons in their head that need to be sorted out.

I am so happy I don't bodybuild or compete in anything anymore. I am so much happier doing the things I love, dedicating my life to my family, and enjoying a little cheat meal and hard workouts every now and then, but nothing too crazy. I've competed in bodybuilding, mountain bike and cyclocross racing, motorcycle racing, and martial arts. I've kept BMX non-competitive, but I thought about doing a comp for fun, then was like "nah". I was also thinking about competing in martial arts again, and was like "nah". It all seems like so much work and having done all that stuff with too much plastic gold in storage and knowing how hard I worked for it and destroyed my body for it, then I'm really like "NAH!" :laughing Age is a damn thing. :afm199

Last edited:
I need to get back on track. Now hovering around 200

From 3/23/18- 3/10/19 I lost 82lb (was 268) (well it was really 3/23/18- 10/12/18, but did not lose any more than 82 since i was cheating alot more)

Daily gym - 20 min cardio warmup, and hit the weights 2 muscle groups per day

Diet- Low carb Omad/IF (basically eating IF 22/2)

First few weeks were tough but once my body and mind got use to the schedule it felt like I was not even trying, and fit in like a glove

268 to 200, must have been expensive having to buy all new clothes.
A 15 pound change and my stuff doesn't fit right anymore.

268 to 200, must have been expensive having to buy all new clothes.
A 15 pound change and my stuff doesn't fit right anymore.

Not too bad, as i was limiting myself from buying much. Goal is 160/170 so 1 more size down.

I tried to be cheap and save the t-shirts but xxxl shirt look insanely redic now

Basically.. This.

When Barf had it's first "the biggest loser" challenge.. I was at a fatty over 180lbs. (It's when i stopped weighing myself..i probably went well over that.).. Went on an exercise binge and dropped down to 97lbs. Eat salads and low fat foods and exercise 4 to 5 hours.. (Not intense or anything).. And the weight came off in a year. Had no life... Buuut the weight came off. Burned more calories than I took in. And i didn't even go all out breaking into a sweat. I've kept the weight off ever since.

I tell people.. Eat right.. And run around in a circle .. See what that does..

Last edited:

PED's is a huge umbrella to make that wide of a statement about them. As far as junking your heart and liver.

I know PED is often synonymous with steroids but tons of things you can take are considered PEDs that aren't anabolics or other "get super ripped bro" drugs. Lot of the basics you can pick up from your local GNC are considered PEDs.
I don't know what PEDs are.. ???

performance enhancing drugs

I am so happy I don't bodybuild or compete in anything anymore. I am so much happier doing the things I love, dedicating my life to my family, and enjoying a little cheat meal and hard workouts every now and then, but nothing too crazy. I've competed in bodybuilding, mountain bike and cyclocross racing, motorcycle racing, and martial arts. I've kept BMX non-competitive, but I thought about doing a comp for fun, then was like "nah". I was also thinking about competing in martial arts again, and was like "nah". It all seems like so much work and having done all that stuff with too much plastic gold in storage and knowing how hard I worked for it and destroyed my body for it, then I'm really like "NAH!" :laughing Age is a damn thing. :afm199

Great comments Dion! It's funny to read cause we're on opposite tracks: I went back to dedicated, hard as can be workouts to give me what I was lacking in my racing; stamina and strength. It has had that effect, but more so, it's given me a confidence that my stamina will be with me on the last lap which is something I've never really experienced. I now know I can go out hard, run the middle of the race strong and finish with fast laps. Training for intensity and then strength/ fitness has been the big change...previously it was the reverse and for that beach bod shit.

Last season I had the best season ever...most wins, almost all run-away wins, most championships, lowest top 10 plate number, etc. Fastest laps ever. This season has seen even better and many personal best laps along with wins, etc. Fingers crossed it continues, but reading yours and others tribulations is motivating.

Speaking of PED's...in my early 20's I did a cycle of Deca and tried D-bol for 2 days until the headaches killed me. The Deca was amazing, but I vowed to never go back after the first cycle. When I came off, I lost tons of motivation, weights fell by about 30% or so, and overall it was a depressing time. When I went back to the gym (committed to a regular routine), I knew I was only going to do what I was capable of and what was real. The intensity and cardio if my weigh workout is the one thing I wish I knew a decade ago...it would have changed my racing trajectory to what it is now 10 years earlier. And while my competitors are trying to figure out what's change and they can see the outward results, they either don't have the dedication to do the same or they don't understand the advantages in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back