• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOME GYM
THURSDAY, APRIL 9, 2020

3x20 - Push Up
5x10-15 - DB Curl
5x10 - DB Hammer Curl to Press
5x30 Sec - Run in Place*
5x30 Sec - Jumping Jacks*
5x10 - DB Scaption Pull
5x20 - Bodyweight Squat

*Per Ross Emanait

FOOD

• BK Sausage Croissanwich
• 20 Prunes
• Pro Shake
• Tangelo Minneola, Pear, Orange, Sumo Citrus
• Ham, Cheese & Egg Whole Wheat Sammie
• 1 Coke
• Beef Fried Rice

MACROS

Bleh...

Working out to failure isn't always the best thing to do. Often from a safety standpoint it is not worth the risk compared to the benefit. There are risks to overtraining etc. HOWEVER, I do think there is a place for training to failure.

Agreed. Working to failure isn’t always necessary especially on EVERY set. IMO.

Lots of other variables, total volume, intensity (% of 1RM) and frequency etc. matter a lot.

that really wasn't the point of that post. "overtraining" is way off topic when talking about an example of doing one exercise to failure.
It is pertinent if somebody gets the idea that training to failure is the only way to get the most out of your workouts.

It should be something you do on occasion and it really depends on your whole workout plan. In track, we have an entire training schedule which culminates in the peak of condition that can be sustained for a max of 4 weeks, then you need a six week period for recovery before you can start training again.

The point is that your body goes through cycles, the Track world, by the nature of the competitions has refined that as far as any sport, when 1/100 second can be the difference of making the finals or not, they need to be at their absolute peak at a specific time. When they get there too early, injuries follow, I've seen in time and again with promising athletes when their coaches don't really know what they're doing.

Another thing in track is a term called overcompensation, when you push your body hard and your body responds to give you the muscles to support that activity and it overcompensates on the need, you time important meets to benefit from this peak. But, we break it down into mesocycles, 4-6 week training cycles followed by a rest weak to let the body recover for the next cycle of training, otherwise you plateau and start getting injured.

It is pertinent if somebody gets the idea that training to failure is the only way to get the most out of your workouts.

It should be something you do on occasion and it really depends on your whole workout plan. In track, we have an entire training schedule which culminates in the peak of condition that can be sustained for a max of 4 weeks, then you need a six week period for recovery before you can start training again.

The point is that your body goes through cycles, the Track world, by the nature of the competitions has refined that as far as any sport, when 1/100 second can be the difference of making the finals or not, they need to be at their absolute peak at a specific time. When they get there too early, injuries follow, I've seen in time and again with promising athletes when their coaches don't really know what they're doing.

Another thing in track is a term called overcompensation, when you push your body hard and your body responds to give you the muscles to support that activity and it overcompensates on the need, you time important meets to benefit from this peak. But, we break it down into mesocycles, 4-6 week training cycles followed by a rest weak to let the body recover for the next cycle of training, otherwise you plateau and start getting injured.

I didnt say it was the only way.

there is plenty of research for some sports that high intensity intervals to failure are the most time-efficient way to exercise. IMO, for anyone that has a full-time job, time-efficient == best :laughing. unfortunately, that might not apply to most people these days :cry

the recovery/overtraining convo could be long. thankfully it really boils down to "the harder you train, the harder you need to rest" :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Yes I just meant strength for that one motion, not overall fitness. I'd say my friend is far fitter than I am even though I may be "stronger" in some ways.

Weighed in yesterday my weight has been incredibly stable by 0.5 lbs but I am clearly stronger. Body fat ticked down only a notch.

After a quick jaunt around the block and back home for a leg workout day, I noticed my right knee felt kind of stiff afterwards. It feels tight when I stand upright and kind of 'off'. No pain, just tightness and slight swelling. Is this runners knee? Can I continue to run on it?

That's "old guy" finding out that he's not "young guy" any more. Get used to. Start taking Ibuprofen daily.

That's me every day. I still ride bicycle and work out.

One benefit of shelter in place is spending time at home and cleaning up my backyard.

I wasn’t going to post but woke up this morning and am sore all over so yesterday’s work in my yard has to count for something.

HOME GYM
SATURDAY, APRIL 11, 2020

5 Hrs - Cutting down another tree, general clean-up & off-haul to dumps.

FOOD

Diet has been sucking since SIP.

• 3 eggs and 2 Slices Ezekiel Sesame Sprouted Bread
• Sumo Citrus
• 1 Slice Ezekiel, PB & Jam
• Grilled Cheese Sammie, Fries & Coke

MACROS

YIKES, BRO!

Last edited:
That's "old guy" finding out that he's not "young guy" any more. Get used to. Start taking Ibuprofen daily.

Very good point, i.e., “not young” any more. I advise the young guys who lift heavy to take care of themselves so when they’re my age or older they’re pain and injury free and can still work out.

I’ve given up on lifting heavy. I just want to be active when I’m really old.

After 4 surgeries on my right knee, I take an aspirin any time I'm going to run to keep the swelling down on it.

Very good point, i.e., “not young” any more. I advise the young guys who lift heavy to take care of themselves so when they’re my age or older they’re pain and injury free and can still work out.

Oh, tell us. . . what do you consider 'really old'?

Found a good pushup/pullup 4 day workout I am going to try now. Being home all the time I've really upped my body weight exercise game. I also need to work in lower body now (just basically doing squats right now) and then running.

I weigh .5 lbs less than I did when I weighed in last months ago but my strength is way higher.

Squats and deadlifts this morning. Didn't feel like it but did them anyhow. Good to have it out of the way. No Sunday walk in the park, sucks that they're closed.

Happy Easter Peeps!!! Hope everybody is chillin’ and well...

Santa Cruz temporarily closed all the beaches and parks over the holiday (because tourists can’t stop/won’t stop), so I legit had to do my ghetto garage workout. I filmed a bunch of home boxing gym stuff for some instructional videos for Kaijin, but wanted to share some best-chest-of-the-west bodybuilding shit, as I am convinced resistance bands and some creativity can offer a complete workout.

Did this at the end of a two hour boxing workout so I was a bit tired. I am definitely on the heavy side of my weight. : |

No weighted squats for me to care for my knees, and no dumbbells or barbells as any of that stuff is pure pain (not in a good way). I remember middle aged men always talking about aches and pains and I never believed it - now that I’m middle aged I totally understand!

Attachments

• ED5916DA-BAB3-4FF8-B5E7-B8E2702FB68D.jpg
    ED5916DA-BAB3-4FF8-B5E7-B8E2702FB68D.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 21ED2BE6-BEFB-4BE0-9474-23655F9EB198.jpeg
    21ED2BE6-BEFB-4BE0-9474-23655F9EB198.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 58
  • C55F64E4-CA0B-49FC-B9F0-9C8ED02E2AD2.jpg
    C55F64E4-CA0B-49FC-B9F0-9C8ED02E2AD2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 39428264-DAE2-4D55-8F53-FB1EE71F25A3.jpg
    39428264-DAE2-4D55-8F53-FB1EE71F25A3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 3FDC0EF4-E217-4AD1-B31C-BB6CE88F7EFC.jpg
    3FDC0EF4-E217-4AD1-B31C-BB6CE88F7EFC.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 57

This is such a reality. Please stay clear of anti-inflammatory meds, unless you really need them, mah peeps. I had liver damage from eating so many of them over the years and therefore stay clear of them.

Through stretching, NOT lifting heavy, diet and not working out as much, I have been able to handle my injuries while maintaining the best I can. There is absolutely no need to lift super heavy unless you are competing in a sport that requires that sort of strength.

I have RUINED my body from heavy weights - absolutely ruined myself. I was that “young guy” who never had the foresight. I wish I knew better.

I've heard good things about workout bands

Yes. They are great and provide a relatively consistent resistance. Totally transportable, super versatile and not expensive. I’ve been looking for kettlebells and they’re as rare as hand sanitizer right now. Resistance bands are readily available. A++ IMO :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back