• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rad workout Dion!

¡Thanks, vato!

So I went to Home Depot to buy some “gym” equipment (essential - ESSENTIAL TO MY LIFE!!!)

1. An industrial mat. I didn’t want to do stretches on my garage floor.

2. Cinder blocks for all kinds of stuff from Jazzercise style steps to reverse dips and push-ups. Possibilities are endless.

3. I made these things for pull-ups. As long as I don’t get over 400lbs these will hold. I screwed the eye-hooks into the studs and used it to hang the front end of my SV for fork work, but now they’re multipurpose.

4. This paracord thingy to make my boxing slip-rope tight.

All of this was $40. :teeth

*EDIT, photos posted sideways but you get it

Attachments

• B7C70CB2-9C4D-4E97-AEAA-05A8B8D23D5D.jpg
    B7C70CB2-9C4D-4E97-AEAA-05A8B8D23D5D.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 798DFDEB-8EE0-4E9F-9873-A3CE4047DBB9.jpg
    798DFDEB-8EE0-4E9F-9873-A3CE4047DBB9.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 71D70AF8-93EB-49D0-BD58-10349C9FB9CC.jpg
    71D70AF8-93EB-49D0-BD58-10349C9FB9CC.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Added jumping rope to my daily routine....First of all, I suck at jumping rope. Apparently not doing it for 100 years does that to you. Second, it is an excellent cardio exercise. Third, forgetting to jump rope until after you do leg day is a poor idea.

Added jumping rope to my daily routine....First of all, I suck at jumping rope. Apparently not doing it for 100 years does that to you. Second, it is an excellent cardio exercise. Third, forgetting to jump rope until after you do leg day is a poor idea.

Instead of reps, go by time :)

I downloaded a boxing app called Boxing iTimer. It's one that allows you to listen to music and it still works (some won't let you do that).

My routine these days: 1.5 mile run around the block, followed by PPL and core 4 days a week. 1 day push, another day pull, another day legs. Decided to switch up running on leg days to core days. Tried doing chest presses using the bands I got. All in all they're not bad for what they are but there's no way I'm pressing "60 lbs" like its nothing and I'm heaving the dumbbells at the gym.

I have bands in different resistances. They seemed pretty good the first couple of times but I abandoned them soon after that. I should give them another go.

Oddly enough i found my never-used jumprope yesterday. I also have jump rope retardedness. I will give it a shot tonight.

Anyone who wants a real fat-burner, try this with anywhere from 45-95 pounds. All rep ranges are to be adjusted to your preference.

No rest from exercise to exercise

12 alternating lounges
12 stiff leg deadlifts
8 front squats
8 standing shoulder press
8 barbell rows
12 pushups

Rest 1 minute
Repeat up to 4 more times.

Then go for 45-60 minute fast walk.

Rode my bike for second time in years after first ride on Friday. 10 mile loop, 43 minutes. Surprisingly the only sore spot starting second ride was my butt.

Yeah, the real riders on here would probably lap me, but nice to get out riding and passing scenery.

Followed that up with time on the heavy back and my pull-up/dip/crunch/etc station.

Thanks! I've made a lot of gains in only 4 weeks. Today's exercise is sets of feet raised pushups followed by chin-ups. The next day is neutral grip chin ups and close grip pushups. etc

Thanks! I've made a lot of gains in only 4 weeks. Today's exercise is sets of feet raised pushups followed by chin-ups. The next day is neutral grip chin ups and close grip pushups. etc

Nothing more motivating than progress!
Well done!

I finally canceled my gym membership. Conceivably, we were spending $540/month in membership dues, between martial arts and the gym. Thankfully, I do get “scholarships” for teaching martial arts, but I haven’t taught for a month due to SIP. Honestly, I do miss the kids, though. :( Teaching karate is legit enriching and such a good break from dealing with daily work stuff. I miss it.

That being said, my wife and I have been talking about cancelling our gym membership for about a year. I barely used any of their equipment, and I could do anything I did there, at my home. There was just something about “going” somewhere which added to the commitment. Well, since SIP, I’m back to building my home gym and DIY. I got rid of a bunch of my stuff when I moved back to SC.

Has anybody tried to buy gym equipment lately? It’s GONE! Not much of a selection, so it’s DIY like I have before. I’ve been wanting to get a kettlebell, but they are hard to find and kinda expensive. Sucks, because i had two 25lb ones before (that’s all you need), and it’s not like they go bad or get worn out.

With my ghetto-ass Filipino ways, however, I was able to use a $2 cinder block for an array of compound movements. Here are some swings, and preacher curls using the block and my battle rope. I also used the pair for incline and decline pushups, and set them up vertically for dips. $4 for a total, full body workout.

If you’re lacking equipment or can’t get any because retailers are sold out, there’s plenty of stuff one can do with a little creativity. :)

Attachments

• 159596DA-BBFB-421F-92C9-1E4B03C21A70.jpg
    159596DA-BBFB-421F-92C9-1E4B03C21A70.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The week before total SIP was implemented, the first I thing I did was go to Amazon and picked up a pair of 25 and 40 lbs kettlebells. In hindsight I could've still gone to Big 5 to pick them up but the prices weren't too bad. I logged back on recently and they're all gone...

The only thing I miss is a proper barbell for squats and maybe some hexbars but I was able to substitute most of my typical routine with bands and bells.

Personally, I think that this thread needs some additional eating information. Lizard and Beau are good about posting what they are eating (sorry if there are others too). My opinion, there is no single better thing to getting leaner than fixing the crap in your diet. Exercise won't fix your fat bottom alone and is probably 25% of it.

More food talk.

Fix your crappy food intake. I hate "diet" because generally the implication is that it is a temporary measure.

I'm terrible at that too. Especially now with the quarantine.

Personally, I think that this thread needs some additional eating information. Lizard and Beau are good about posting what they are eating (sorry if there are others too). My opinion, there is no single better thing to getting leaner than fixing the crap in your diet. Exercise won't fix your fat bottom alone and is probably 25% of it.

More food talk.

Fix your crappy food intake. I hate "diet" because generally the implication is that it is a temporary measure.

Yeah for me, getting in shape is 1/3 exercise and 2/3 diet. Some people don’t like to use the word “diet” so food, nutrition, etc.

I'm terrible at that too. Especially now with the quarantine.

SIP has made it tough to stick to my diet and also exercise. I’m feeling a little soft. Need to get back to my routine.

Nice to see new posters on this thread :thumbup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back