• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing inspirational about my routine. I'm a gonna sit this one out.

Post up anyways!

My leg routine is basic as it gets. Done at home twice a week.

Calf raises
Hip Thrusts
Stiff leg deadlifts
Split squats

Done in the 8-15 rep range.

Upper body is dumbbell bench, shoulder press, rows, curls, triceps extensions, skull crushers, side raises. Usually not all those exercises in one workout. 2-3 days a week.

Farmer’s walks couple days a week.

And a light weight lifting/cardio circuit a couple days a week. 30-60 minute walk about 5 days a week.

ok I gotta get my jump rope skills WAY up lol. Nice work D!

Thanks!!!! Listening to a TuPac, or basically any rap music from the late 90’s early 00’s helps immensely. All other music is anti-jump rope and actually makes you worse. It’s truth. Look it up.

Thanks!!!! Listening to a TuPac, or basically any rap music from the late 90’s early 00’s helps immensely. All other music is anti-jump rope and actually makes you worse. It’s truth. Look it up.

HA!! Truth!! I have rocked the new Eminem album when I skip rope and hit the bag. Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, NWA, Ghetto Boy, Bone Thugs, Dre, DMX, Pharcyde and Suicidal Tendencies for variety are all part of the "hit shit" mix. :laughing

I think I need to increase sets because the next day I don't feel sore or especially worked out unless I try and do more exercise where my reps plummet.

Basically I need to work out harder, but less, and give myself more rest days.

Lots of things to try...hence why routines are so cool. IMO, to increase heart rate load try beating a finish time for your workouts. Don't cheat the movements, but make sure to keep moving. It's pretty damn intense and changes your output. You'll be sore, but you'll also get a cardio workout in at the same time.

Or try different workouts like a high/ low in a week, etc.

hmm 12 years of barbell backsquatting, deadlifting and benchpressing kind of disagrees with your theory... most of us are just following the strongest lifters on the planet though and not as informed as you.

It's all about the goal though. TBH, heavy bodybuilders have always struggled with mobility, range of motion, coordination, etc..and not said solely, but as a general rule of thumb. It's kinda what your after. I agree with Brett on change-up if you're sole goal is not simply strength/ mass. That's not what many of us looking for performance advantages is best, IMO.

But, IMO for sure. Everyone's a bit different in how their body reacts/ takes fitness.

I have videos and photos but i post them to my IG sometimes on FB but mostly IG.

I have been working out this week. Last 2 weeks have been rough for me emotionally. Feels good to get back into the routine. Kinda procrastinating todays workout.

45 thrusters
80 horizontal rows

just as the "buy in" and only part of todays work out. Ill get it done though

Last edited:
It's all about the goal though. TBH, heavy bodybuilders have always struggled with mobility, range of motion, coordination, etc..and not said solely, but as a general rule of thumb. It's kinda what your after. I agree with Brett on change-up if you're sole goal is not simply strength/ mass. That's not what many of us looking for performance advantages is best, IMO.

But, IMO for sure. Everyone's a bit different in how their body reacts/ takes fitness.

so you agree with Climber that it is necessary as in you have to change exercises to get benefit for the reasons you mentioned?

Word. :thumbup

When I was completing in bodybuilding, I wasn't as "fit" as I am now. Not even close. I was competing in my mid-20's. Now, I'm a middle-aged dude... and I'm stoked I can move this well for my age.

My goals are not bodybuilding based at all, but I get complements in the gym from dudes all the time (and it's always dudes)... telling me "I look like what I'm doing" and constantly being asked what my leg workout was - the look of disappointment when I told them to do wall sits and body weight squats and to stop doing heavy squats with weights was awesome. :laughing

Of course, I'd just see them days later, with skinny legs, ruining their knees - just like I did when I was 24.

I think "fit" ought to be defined in context of the sport/goal, but I do believe there is a baseline, and it shouldn't be judged by looks alone. Being inflexible, to me, is not fit. Not being able to go up a flight of stairs without getting heavily winded, is not fit, and I am baffled when I see amazing looking bodybuilders huffing and puffing to do anything cardio related. To me... that is not fit. And is being ripped, "fit"?

Also, lifting heavy is super impractical. Since when is there ever a situation in real life where one needs to lift anything over 100lbs? Or 25lbs, for that matter? Even thin, smaller adults can pick up a fallen motorcycle. So why are people squatting and benching 225lbs, or 400lbs? To look good? Does it really require heavy squats and presses to "look good"? Nearly 30 years of being into athletics, performance and fitness, I've realized it doesn't require that. In fact, it's diet more than anything that affects that.

Back in the mid-90's when I was a serious gym rat, I remember a dude saying "Girls don't care how much you can lift". I've remembered that little piece of advice ever since.

Oh, and working out to failure is not only overrated, but it not smart for longevity. That's legit, real world experience and heavy wear and tear. I wish I had an older "me" giving me weightlifting advice about the myth of lifting super heavy and/or to failure.

Last edited:
dagle you dont agree with climber. Climber doesnt agree with you....

/topic

Oh, and working out to failure is not only overrated, but it not smart for longevity. That's legit, real world experience and heavy wear and tear. I wish I had an older "me" giving me weightlifting advice about the myth of lifting super heavy and/or to failure.
You and me both!

I was always attracted to high impact sports and used my body mercilessly up through my 30's during which I had my 4th knee surgery in the same knee and haven' sprinted full speed since.

I wish I still had a good knee, it would have been cool to run the hurdles, pole vault, high jump, sprint, etc. in the senior division in Track at a high competitive level, but a bad right knee pretty much eliminates that.

The term 'arrogance of youth' means a lot more to us older athletes. :laughing

Word. :thumbup

When I was completing in bodybuilding, I wasn't as "fit" as I am now. Not even close. I was competing in my mid-20's. Now, I'm a middle-aged dude... and I'm stoked I can move this well for my age.

My goals are not bodybuilding based at all, but I get complements in the gym from dudes all the time (and it's always dudes)... telling me "I look like what I'm doing" and constantly being asked what my leg workout was - the look of disappointment when I told them to do wall sits and body weight squats and to stop doing heavy squats with weights was awesome. :laughing

Of course, I'd just see them days later, with skinny legs, ruining their knees - just like I did when I was 24.

I think "fit" ought to be defined in context of the sport/goal, but I do believe there is a baseline, and it shouldn't be judged by looks alone. Being inflexible, to me, is not fit. Not being able to go up a flight of stairs without getting heavily winded, is not fit, and I am baffled when I see amazing looking bodybuilders huffing and puffing to do anything cardio related. To me... that is not fit. And is being ripped, "fit"?

Also, lifting heavy is super impractical. Since when is there ever a situation in real life where one needs to lift anything over 100lbs? Or 25lbs, for that matter? Even thin, smaller adults can pick up a fallen motorcycle. So why are people squatting and benching 225lbs, or 400lbs? To look good? Does it really require heavy squats and presses to "look good"? Nearly 30 years of being into athletics, performance and fitness, I've realized it doesn't require that. In fact, it's diet more than anything that affects that.

Back in the mid-90's when I was a serious gym rat, I remember a dude saying "Girls don't care how much you can lift". I've remembered that little piece of advice ever since.

All the young asian dudes at my local gym are trying to be Powerlifters. Maybe some of them legitimately are... rocking the Barbell Brigade shirts, but FFS do your sets and stop dropping the barbells after every set in front of your tripod for your stupid IG. There's 3 squat racks and two pads for deadlifts. It's a conventional gym, but these fuckers are treating it like their hangout spots so when 4 or their other friends show up they all rotate out.

so in your opinions, this man should not exist correct? :rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCZtRp7yYY

There are freaks of nature out there, and this guy is a good example of the exception. I ride BMX, and some of the things I see people do are so ridiculous, but it's rare. That's why those guys are sponsored and most are not. That's why it takes a very gifted, unique, freak of nature to make it to the NFL and thousands of talented college players don't make it.

But this thread is for the everyday folks, right? Any professional NFL players, elite boxers or the dude in your video looking for inspiration/advice on this thread? No.

I found myself really enjoying training at my age of 45. Had I paid attention to all the old dudes (who were my current age, back then) about lifting heavy, I would've have all the stupid injuries I do now. I would've taken better care of myself. I used to bench 405lbs. and squat 800lbs. For what? What was the benefit?

Last edited:
I'm not calling you a liar, but those numbers would be exceptional even in modern day. Ronnie coleman barely got 3 reps in a squat suit. I won't believe it until I see it.

and i think you're getting my argument backwards. it's the average joe who should stick to a program, consistently train a set of exercises and progress slowly. If you're doing that p90x muscle confusion garbage, it'll be hard to get anywhere but you'll know a lot of different ways to exercise.

the benefits of muscular strength in the short term is that (without anabolics/steroids) you're stronger, faster, have more bone density, more robust connective tissue and have higher blood cell count. in the long term, you keep bone density, connective tissue, stability/balance so you don't fall when you're old.

anyways, i'm off on my 4 mile run.

When I see dudes at the gym deadlifting 7 plates and military pressing 315 lbs I keep thinking that the human skeletal structure was never meant for that sort of abuse.
I don't believe its possible without PED's and IMO thats got no part in a topic about fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back