• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lean is proper. Beefcake is no good. Lotta work for your heart to keep a bunch of meat alive.

:laughing

I'm a size M for most of my shirts. Jeans I'm 32/30. I've come to realize I don't think I can ever get 'big'. My frame isn't made for the beefy look. If I eat more calories, I just get porky. Heres a picture of my home setup:

dTcUBgh.jpg

2 sets of kettlebellts, my pullup bar, some bands, and yoga mats. The bench I'm using from my dining room table.

Yeah man! I had to kill myself with diet to get under 200lbs. It sucked and I got sick. Again, every body is different. I wish fitness bro’s would stop with these “absolute” statements.

Thinking of getting an indoor (road) bike trainer...
They fit under the bed just like all of those compact rowing machines that people bought during the 80's and 90's did after a couple times using them. :laughing

Not good for your reproductive system and other internal organs.

You can stand up and pedal also. I have a spin bike that I use 3X a week, 4X on a good week, while watching the news. For every five minutes of pedalling while sitting I'll pedal standing for three minutes. Also makes it a lot easier mentally getting to the 30 minute target.

a roll of oreos (1/3 of a family pack)
corned beef hash and eggs sandwich
half of a club sandwich
4 diet cokes
couple liters of water

done:
4mile run at a 7:45 pace
reverse hypers

left in the day:
couple hundred push-ups
light shadow work in the garage between push-up sets
broga aka mobility work

3x5 with the 14yo today.

Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

1.5 mile run

"Push Day"

50 pushups
20 decline pushups
3x20 dips over the bench
4x10 chest presses
3x10 shoulder presses
3x10 tri pushdown
3x10 flys
3x10 lat raises

Warm Up 2 Rounds
10x Light Front/ Goblet Squats
10x Hand Release Push ups
10x Swings, Rus
Instep Stretch
Lat + Pec Stretch

Part 1 - 6 Rounds
7x Front Squat Climbing - 55, 65, 85,115. I did one rep at 135 then dropped back down to 115 to finish
10 Banded up downs

Part 2 - 6 Rounds
4/4x Clean + Press - 55lbs
10x Supinated Horizontal Row

Part 3 - 8 Rounds for Time
8x Box Jumps
8x Push Press
6:50

I wish fitness bro’s would stop with these “absolute” statements.

+1000. That and people judging a diet. Hey, I don't do drugs or drink alcohol (hardly ever)...yes sir, I'll take a coke!

Did some bar exercises to break in new motorcycle gloves. Even did bench presses which I haven't done in years.
The racers must have someone break in their gloves for them. I hate going just for a mellow street ride with new gloves.

Did some bar exercises to break in new motorcycle gloves. Even did bench presses which I haven't done in years.
The racers must have someone break in their gloves for them. I hate going just for a mellow street ride with new gloves.

Try having to run a new pair for your second half or races in a day. Pretty shitty, but the Alpinestars top gloves break in pretty quickly.

Worse than breaking in gloves was my middle finger breaking through the end of the glove during a race last season. The glove split all the way to the knuckle. Pretty creepy running at pace with one finger totally nude...in the breeze.

That and people judging a diet.

OMG yes.

30 years of f'ing with diet - some extreme to make weight for competition - vegetarianism, keto... you name it. Unless you are morbidly obese or competing or a professional model, I believe we are addicted and put so much energy around food. Whether it is the fat Walmart/Disneyland goer in a disability scooter or super ripped Instagram bro.

We put so much friggin' energy around food. "Cheat days" is just more energy and addiction behavior.

Food and diet isn't that complicated. After killing myself with keto last year, and getting sick, I said "I'm gonna eat like a normal person". This means, I'm going to be okay with carrying a little fat, and if I indulge, then I indulge. I'm going to eat three meals a day - just like people did in the 1950's when nobody was fat. I'll eat desert probably 90% of the time.

I'm going to eat an early dinner, and eat breakfast the next morning consisting of a small meal of bacon, eggs, a slice of toast with butter and jam or apple slices and coffee. There's a reason they call it breakfast - you are "breaking a fast".

If I want to eat half a cake, I'm going to eat half a cake, and then, knowing I ate all those calories, I'm just going to lay off more calories for a bit until I need more.

Same thing with water intake. Drink water when you're thirsty.

No need to ingest calories before a workout, or immediately follow up with a protein shake after a workout. I literally can, and will, do a super intense 3 hour long Muay Thai session having not had any breakfast that morning. I'll maybe drink a Gatorade during the workout. And guess what? I don't gas out, I perform, and I do well.

Eat like a normal human. Have a Coke if you want, but also know that 20 cans of coke a day isn't good - but who doesn't know that? Carbs are good. Fat is good; protein is way overrated. We over-protein overselves constantly using bro science and what's dictated to us by the fitness industry.

I've been doing this stupid diet dance for 3 decades and so much of it is unnecessary and BS. We have an obesity problem today, COVID-19 kills many fat people, and yet simultaneously have all the diets being shoved in our face.

When people ate normally and reasonably, did they have an obesity issue?

Last edited:
Food was completely different in the 50's when nobody was fat.

Pollan says everything he's learned about food and health can be summed up in seven words: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Probably the first two words are most important. "Eat food" means to eat real food -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish and meat -- and to avoid what Pollan calls "edible food-like substances."

Here's how:

Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?" Pollan says.

Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.
Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.

It is not just what you eat but how you eat. "Always leave the table a little hungry," Pollan says. "Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, 'Tie off the sack before it's full.'"

Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It's a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. "Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?" Pollan asks.
Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

Seems to work ok for me.

Food was completely different in the 50's when nobody was fat.

I agree and disagree.

Meat is still meat, fruits are still fruits, and veggies are still veggies. Organic foods are available, but food from Safeway is just fine. We have way more processed food, and it's cheap. Food is cheap - it's why poor people are fat.

Psychology around food is different from the '50s.

We have an abundance of food. Fuckin' food is EVERYWHERE. Its constant, and everybody is consuming constantly. 6 small meals a day? It's amazing our society is so affluent we can do that. We are so affluent, our poor are fat, and the well-to-do can be fat, but they choose not to. Instead, they buy "natural" food that's 3-4 times the price of cheap food, and spend thousands of dollars on gym equipment and memberships to SoulCycle, when a jump rope is $4 from Walmart and jogging, push-ups, body squats, etc. is free. Amazing steel, old-school bicycles are $100 on CL and can last for decades (I have a couple of those). For one month of a gym membership, you can maintain a nice, old-school mountain bike for a year, or more.

Do poor people not have access to free exercise and healthy food? Have you seen the price of eggs, beans, and apples? Do children need to eat shitty school food, or can their parents prepare hardboiled eggs, apples slices and a few slices of cheese? That's what I give my son when he goes to school, or something of the equivalent.

When people were thin, pre-1990's, did food change, or did the psychology of food change? Fast food is literally the same price now as it was 30 years ago. But 30 years ago, there weren't as many fat people.

Not to derail the thread, but I truly do think we put waaaaay too much energy around food and diet. It isn't as complicated as people make it to be. We are addicted to food - whether from a fitness standpoint or from a fat standpoint.

I remember my wife was logging all her food in an app. Everything. I was like "what, are you going to be doing this when you're 80 years old?". She doesn't do that anymore and she's super hot and fit, always has been.

We both eat "whatever" and neither one of us has gained weight. If we need to lose weight, we do small adjustments, like "no desert" or "no doughnuts on Sunday. Difference is we simply eat like people did in the 1950's. Less frequently and with a lot less shame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back