• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool AF Dion. @ your age that's some sick OG skills...I love seeing old guys/ girls ruling it!

Thanks man!!! Our rental has been taking up every single weekend for nearly a year, so I'm hoping to get back to BMX'ing soon.

Everybody posts their workouts, but I still like to share videos and pics. It'd be cool if y'all, too, can share your workout vids and progress. On the Kaijin MMA Facebook page, they posted my video on how to throw a proper straight punch. If you're interested, check it out!

Here's literally $10 worth of materials which buys me 2 hours of boxing drills. None of this stuff requires me to wear gloves, but I train/spar with 16oz gloves which is like training with 1lb weights. Also, I notice when I train without gloves, I get gassed out easier when putting on the heavy gloves.

Some of you are beasts in this thread, it'd be cool to see your form and tips.

Here's literally $10 worth of materials which buys me 2 hours of boxing drills. None of this stuff requires me to wear gloves, but I train/spar with 16oz gloves which is like training with 1lb weights. Also, I notice when I train without gloves, I get gassed out easier when putting on the heavy gloves.

Some of you are beasts in this thread, it'd be cool to see your form and tips.

Dude, you gotta do that with a 25lb. vest on. Seriously. Next level self flagellation.

Other than that I got nothin, you're faster and tighter than I am... but I've got like 15 years on you so there's that.

Dude, you gotta do that with a 25lb. vest on. Seriously. Next level self flagellation.

Other than that I got nothin, you're faster and tighter than I am... but I've got like 15 years on you so there's that.

My background is karate. I still train karate, love karate and teach karate. I'm too old to fight, but I absolutely love teaching. I have come across some extremely talented kids who I know, with proper coaching, can grow to be very successful fighters.

I have techniques I've been working on in training that merge old karate styles into modern MMA. Karate gets a bad rap because of all the fake martial artists out there - which is why I donated to McDojo Life's documentary. Traditional kata (forms) has really gotten a bad rap because they have been completely misapplied.

There is a small movement that I'm part of in karate that is called "practical karate" which takes the old katas and modernizes them for real world application. There's a lot to learn for 4'11" Okinawans who were bullied by feudal Japan.

BTW, I saw a weighted vest in Walmart and was like hmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Last edited:
Full Michael Dudikoff stuff, Dion!

Was feeling sore yesterday and fine today. Feel even stronger than 2 days ago. I think by the end of the month I'll hit 10 good form neutral pullups and chin-ups and maybe 6-10 pullups.

I dropped another minute off of my bike time, even with my average heart rate dropping and into wind on the way out.

I've dropped my rest heart rate by 7 bpm since I started riding. It had gone up after not being able to go to the gym, even with workouts.

I've dropped 8 lbs, mostly from my shoulders, I just can't get the level of training that I did in the gym. I still have good muscle definition, though not as much mass.

Once the gym opens back up, I should get that back in 3-4 months.

WHat is the "fastest" way to get into cardiovascular shape that doesn't involve long runs?
like intervals? What should I do to get my heart and lungs back into good form?

how do you lose 8lb mostly from your shoulders? that's impossible without surgery... lol

and the fastest way to get into cardiovascular shape is whatever cardio you can do consistently, you can do intervals or jump rope or run up and down hills as long as you can keep it consistent and maximize the area under the curve for your heartrate (instead of peaks)

WHat is the "fastest" way to get into cardiovascular shape that doesn't involve long runs?

Get some sort of HR monitor. i use Bose soundsport pulse headphones.

When doing your weight workout once you start the work, there should be almost no breaks. No "rest" periods, etc. Simply skip to another muscle group and then back. Bi's, Tri's, Abs or Bi's, abs, Bi's, abs. Non stop. Your weight workout should take about an hour and HR will be between 100 BPM - 165 BPM the full workout.

I switched from riding a bike for 30-40 minutes after my weight workouts (with rest periods) and it's proven to be the winning combo for me. I have way more HR endurance, my HR recovers quicker, etc. This one change I attribute almost singularly to my results this race season.

Hint: if you're surfing your phone much at all during your workout, you're failing. IMO.

how do you lose 8lb mostly from your shoulders? that's impossible without surgery... lol

and the fastest way to get into cardiovascular shape is whatever cardio you can do consistently, you can do intervals or jump rope or run up and down hills as long as you can keep it consistent and maximize the area under the curve for your heartrate (instead of peaks)
You really have a lousy way of interacting with people. :thumbdown

You already brought negativity into this thread before, it's really not appreciated here.

I dropped another minute off of my bike time, even with my average heart rate dropping and into wind on the way out.

I've dropped my rest heart rate by 7 bpm since I started riding. It had gone up after not being able to go to the gym, even with workouts.

I've dropped 8 lbs, mostly from my shoulders, I just can't get the level of training that I did in the gym. I still have good muscle definition, though not as much mass.

Once the gym opens back up, I should get that back in 3-4 months.

those initial gains from a new exercise are so awesome. I wish they kept going.

what was your avg hr for the ride?

those initial gains from a new exercise are so awesome. I wish they kept going.

what was your avg hr for the ride?
I'm up to 15.6 mph, which includes some holds at some traffic lights. I'm not anywhere near the bike studs that have been riding for years, but I try to bump it up each week. I'm on my 3rd week after not riding for almost 40 years.

Last edited:

the last time I looked up a few studies for cycling, intervals raised all metrics except Vo2 Max. so id guess that intervals are not a good way to build cardiovascular fitness. but id need to research more.

I'm up to 15.6 mph, which includes some holds at some traffic lights. I'm not anywhere near the bike studs that have been riding for years, but I try to bump it up each week. I'm on my 3rd week after not riding for almost 40 years.

Nice progress. :thumbup

You really have a lousy way of interacting with people. :thumbdown

You already brought negativity into this thread before, it's really not appreciated here.

How so, exactly? There's no negativity, I am asking how you lost most of 8lb from your shoulders without surgery.

I weighed myself today noticed I gained a bit of weight, but my clothes don't feel any tighter. I also compare some photos I took of myself today compared to later last year (before holidays) and I look noticeably fitter.

didn't work out.. just wasn't about it today. low energy and meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back