• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last time I looked up a few studies for cycling, intervals raised all metrics except Vo2 Max. so id guess that intervals are not a good way to build cardiovascular fitness. but id need to research more.

Robert, intervals as in HR spikes and rests? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

didn't work out.. just wasn't about it today. low energy and meh.

Breaks are good Kim...for all kinds of reasons, but mostly because; we're human. We're made to nap under trees in the shade after a big hunt!

I've been lax/ off a good program since Mid March. It's frustrating, but while I've lost strength and mass, I've gotten a tad more defined. WTF, right? my program is like 1/2 effective...

Robert, intervals as in HR spikes and rests? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

"an interval" as in the type of exercise. most intervals ive seen are high intensity with long rests. a very high intensity cycling interval is:

20s all out + 10s rest
repeat x8
then rest 10min
repeat everything 4x total

Agreed Holeshot and I’ll keep my ear to the ground about equipment. If the barbell I have on loan is reasonably priced I’m thinking I’ll buy it. Those things are bank! And maybe some of the plates. But I won’t know yet.

He said most of the stuff in the gym is spoken for or taken. Rowers, airbike, racks ect.

He loaned out all the plates barbells and kettlebells.

All the medicine balls are up for grabs. Cause fuck wall balls :laughing

WHat is the "fastest" way to get into cardiovascular shape that doesn't involve long runs?
like intervals? What should I do to get my heart and lungs back into good form?

For what sport? I MTB’ed everyday and did century rides. I did a tour from Santa Cruz to Yosemite and back on a bicycle, loaded up with full gear and self-supported camping and food and cook wear, we rode 80 miles a day. Did fairly well.

I can skip rope and fight.

But nothing... NOTHING! Destroyed me more than racing cyclocross. I thought I had cardio until I did that. But for martial arts, I’m in great cardio shape. So I think it depends on what you want to do.

Cardio is a broad term and a bit sport specific. When I lost a ton of weight, my cardio improved like a billion %. I don’t run. I won’t run and will never run. Or jog.

another 4 miles down

broga and brobility commencing. found it inconvenient to do brobility while cooling down from the run because sweat tracks everywhere. may start doing brobility and broga before running instead. Also doing PT homework.

owe:
reverse hypers
200 push ups
eleventybillion band tricep extensions

lunch:
totino's pepperoni personal pizza
1 pepperidge farm white chocolate macadamia nut cookie
2 liters of water

dinner:
16oz NY strip steak
2 cups of rice
1 broccoli
couple coke zeros (running low, may switch to orange vanilla coke zero)

remaining cals:
2 scoops of protons
pepperidge farm cookies

on a brighter note, i hear 24 hr fitness is re-opening soon with social distancing mode where you can schedule an hour-long appointment to work out, then they close for 30 minutes and sanitize equipment before the next appointment begins. would work out for me if i can schedule appointments. :teeth

General fitness to live longer be healthier etc.

Arguably, living longer and healthier is 99% diet IMO. Again, arguably, one doesn’t need to do “cardio” to live long and healthy. Losing 35lbs helped my cardio immensely, but that was diet.

Are runners necessarily “healthy”? Climber, a runner, talks about all the running related injuries and pain. I have my own set of injuries - it’s definitely not “healthy” considering injuries.

However, if I were to pick the most low impact, fun, scenic and most closely relatable to motorcycling, “wind” activity, it would be cross crountry mountain biking. XC is easy on the joints, and super fun. Between 2008 to 2014, I was obsessed with mountain biking as I lived in San Jose near Santa Teresa County park.

Price of entry isn’t bad - $500 will get a nice used XC mountain bike suitable enough for climbs and medium trail use.

During that time of obsession, I got into road cycling and the aforementioned cyclocross. I don’t have much love for road cycling or the people who do it. It’s also dangerous AF.

But XC MTB’ing is simply beautiful. Relaxing and you can do fire roads to single track. It’s a tremendous workout and you’re not destroying your joints, especially with a full suspension bike. The scenery, wildlife and adventure is unparalleled.

I have a vintage Bridgestone I need retro dirt tires for because I miss MTB’ing and I live in Santa Cruz...

HHM have you every tried berry's or orange theory classes? They might be your jam if you're just looking for motivation to exercise or guidance in how to exercise. The participants of those classes generally have the latest and greatest in spandex yoga pants technology too, which is pretty amazing. If you end up wanting more work output than those classes offer, a good crossfit box (like san francisco crossfit) might be worth a try too.

if it were me, i'd just join a reputable (track record of safety and ego-lessness) jiu jitsu gym and make it a fun physical activity that happens to involve physicality.

HHM have you every tried berry's or orange theory classes? They might be your jam if you're just looking for motivation to exercise or guidance in how to exercise. The participants of those classes generally have the latest and greatest in spandex yoga pants technology too, which is pretty amazing. If you end up wanting more work output than those classes offer, a good crossfit box (like san francisco crossfit) might be worth a try too.

if it were me, i'd just join a reputable (track record of safety and ego-lessness) jiu jitsu gym and make it a fun physical activity that happens to involve physicality.

A good friend of mine is a Barry's person and she's gotten ridiculously fit. I didn't think she needed to lose any weight but she is very trim now.

I like the cycling idea since I used to do it and still do for transportation (ebike).

Was thinking of using my $450 REI credit to get their best aluminum frame bicycle (at the credit discount plus the difference)

Last edited:
Are runners necessarily “healthy”? Climber, a runner, talks about all the running related injuries and pain. I have my own set of injuries - it’s definitely not “healthy” considering injuries.
Actually, it wasn't running the caused the knee surgeries, the first was due to a head on collision (fractured knee cap, nickel sized piece fractured off), and the last three are from competitive rock climbing, namely from drop knee moves from overhang to vertical. I also had a childhood filled with falling out of trees and jumping out of 2nd story windows, among other things.

Breakfast - Energy Drink. Yes, I should switch to coffee. Shut up. It's sugar free and 0 calorie.

Lunch - 3 eggs scrambled, the last of the ground turkey taco meat + fajita veggies, tossed a big handful of spinach in, and a little bit of shredded cheese.

Dinner - salmon filet, whole bunch of brussel sprouts with cut up diced chopped whatever uncured bacon from TJs and some balsalmic vinegar, and cauliflower rice. didn't finish it all.

Took about a 2.5 mile walk at about 11pm cause I was super restless. got home and poured a whiskey for a night cap - couple hundred more calories probably.

Best guess is just under 1500 calories today. Seems low but not gonna complain.

But nothing... NOTHING! Destroyed me more than racing cyclocross. I thought I had cardio until I did that. But for martial arts, I’m in great cardio shape. So I think it depends on what you want to do.

Cardio is a broad term and a bit sport specific. When I lost a ton of weight, my cardio improved like a billion %. I don’t run. I won’t run and will never run. Or jog.

Great stuff Dion! On Saturday, they're opening the lake up here which means I can get back to cardio in the tray of my standup. Like your MTB cardio, riding a standup through a buoy course is a tiring affair. After about 10 minutes, my HR is running in the 165-170 range and I'm dying! But like your MTB'ing, I love it more than almost anything else.

Welp. Lost 5lbs. Didn’t work out any harder and didn’t stop eating desert. Extended my fasting by a few hours. That’s it.

well, my climbing strength is coming along. my friends are joking that Ill be one of the few people that come out of quarantine stronger, as most dont have anywhere to climb these days.

I hurt my left shoulder early this year, which made this route extra tough. the 3rd and 5th moves made it very apparent how weak it is. my first attempts on this route caused some pain. now, the pain is gone and the moves are possible, although not easy yet.

"Into the Aviary" - V6
ytmMLyr.mp4

My new parallettes came today. Working out at home regularly I got tired of the old ones.

Old & new
VcdDMpj.jpg

back from the 4mile run, started the run right when the fog was coming in so it was pretty ideal temperature wise. decided to listen to joe rogan on the run instead of music. it's fascinating to experience how different portions of the brain work.

while listening to the podcast a couple of random thoughts came into my head for work and i figured out a solution for a problem that i ran into during the day (double encoded data structures passed through in the URL because google thought that was a good idea). realized i don't need a complicated solution because from the output i can determine if the decoding worked as long as i know any single value expected in the output. happy coincidence, now my monday should be free'd up.

Anyways onto brobility, broga, reverse hypers and PT homework.

exercise wise:
200 push ups
100 banded lateral raises per side (apparently my traps, delts and lats are fukt)
100+ wall slides
100+ wall slide variants with lateral band tension

lunch:
2 hebrew national beef hotdogs
2 ball park buns
3 pepperidge farm tahoe cookies
2 liters of water

dinner:
16oz new york steak
1 broccoli
2 cups of rice
2 eggs
2 orange vanilla coke zeros

remaining cals:
2 scoops of protons
pepperidge farm cookies (tahoe, nantucket, sausalito)
tortilla chips
colby jack cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back