• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks thats what I thought. I have $450 REI credit. They have Cannondale bikes. Their most expensive aluminum is like $1400 so I could get it for $1000ish

Also I don't love drop bars but are they truly better for longer rides?

$450 new is in the range of Walmart quality. Walmart quality won't shift, won't brake, and something will probably break within 100s of miles. Itd take a good bike tech 1-2 hours to tune so that the chain doesnt fall off, the thing shifts somewhat consistently, and the brakes dont rub. But you may have to replace cables to get those results. Bike Shop quality starts around $800 and won't have any of the issues above.

This bike from REI is a great deal. u probably cant find a more comfortable AL frame. the components will work amazingly for a decade. however, the remaining size might be too small for you. if you have short legs, itll be perfect. otherwise, u probably need the next size up.
https://www.rei.com/product/145817/cannondale-caad-12-ultegra-bike-2019

this bike is near the minimum quality that I could recommend. the larger tires would make it reasonably comfortable, even with an inexpensive AL frame. the components are below avg, especially compared to the CAAD12 above. but they would actually work all the time and would probably be very reliable. modern Shimano low-tier components have come a long way in the past 10yrs.
https://www.rei.com/product/170066/cannondale-topstone-sora-bike-2020

Last edited:
Climber,

if thats your actual bike above, you need a new saddle. once you find something that fits and is comfortable, you can work on fit to improve any neck issues. at a minimum, the saddle should be flat so that you arent sliding forward while pedaling - which causes neck strain.

$450 new is in the range of Walmart quality. Walmart quality won't shift, won't brake, and something will probably break within 100s of miles. Itd take a good bike tech at least an hour to tune so that the chain doesnt fall off, the thing shifts somewhat consistently, and the brakes dont rub. But you may have to replace cables to get those results. Bike Shop quality starts around $800 and won't have any of the issues above.

This bike from REI is a great deal. u probably cant find a more comfortable AL frame. the components will work amazingly for a decade. however, the remaining size might be too small for you. if you have short legs, itll be perfect. otherwise, u probably need the next size up.
https://www.rei.com/product/145817/cannondale-caad-12-ultegra-bike-2019

I have long legs.

https://www.rei.com/product/166452/cannondale-caadx-105-bike-2020

This one my friend recommends because it has the Disc brakes he feels i more important than having Ultegra components.

Anyway I think I'm closer to a 58cm bike

Climber,

if thats your actual bike above, you need a new saddle. once you find something that fits and is comfortable, you can work on fit to improve any neck issues. at a minimum, the saddle should be flat so that you arent sliding forward while pedaling - which causes neck strain.
That's a stock picture, my model is the same but I've made adjustments. One of the first things I did was to replace the saddle.

Sorry for the confusion.

Funny thing happened, I was coming up behind these kids on a collection of mountain and hybrid bikes and they were riding like 'tards, spread out across both directions of a 10 foot wide paved path. I let them know I was coming up from behind and told them I'd be passing on their left. I had to repeat it twice more and some young jackass in the group yelled after me 'That's a stupid looking bike'. :rofl I probably could have been riding my brothers $10k bike and that kid probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. I didn't bother to respond, you can't fix stupid and it's pretty dumb to even engage.

Last edited:
I have long legs.

https://www.rei.com/product/166452/cannondale-caadx-105-bike-2020

This one my friend recommends because it has the Disc brakes he feels i more important than having Ultegra components.

Anyway I think I'm closer to a 58cm bike

for the casual rider, there is no benefit in Ultegra over 105. so ya, that bike is SOLID. the frame isnt as nice as the CAAD12, but you really wouldn't notice. plus you'll probably find the CAADX is more comfortable because of the larger tires.

newer riders can often benefit from larger frames because it reduces the bar drop. the bike fitter at REI would know. unfortunately, all their locations are closed.

That's a stock picture, my model is the same but I've made adjustments. One of the first things I did was to replace the saddle.

Sorry for the confusion.

Funny thing happened, I was coming up behind these kids on a collection of mountain and hybrid bikes and they were riding like 'tards, spread out across both directions of a 10 foot wide paved path. I let them know I was coming up from behind and told them I'd be passing on their left. I had to repeat it twice more and some young jackass in the group yelled after me 'That's a stupid looking bike'. :rofl I probably could have been riding my brothers $10k bike and that kid probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. I didn't bother to respond, you can't fix stupid and it's pretty dumb to even engage.

lol :thumbup

I'm seriously considering getting a barbell and a half rack at this point. I can't imagine trying to go back to the gym while maintaining social distancing and on a reservation system trying to compete with the bros.

I settled on a folding FLYBIRD Weight Bench, and those Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbells. Been using them :)

I don't think I have room for a barbell setup indoors.

Same here. Im hoping to keep the barbell I have either through renting or buying it if the price is right and get a rack. The set up I just rigged for back squat was SKETCH!

Today was 6 rounds of squats (your choice) building

FINALLY hit 135 on squats... way easier with back squat than front. And I hit it for 2 rounds. :banana

Impressive!

--

I realize I'm already pushing 50 lbs per hand and it maxes out at 52.5 but from previous experience I found heavier than that was hard on the elbow joints. I'll focus on good form.

3x5

Bench Press
Barbell Row
Deadlifts

Did 3 sets of 205lb deadlifts -- my fat ass weighs 205.

Breakfast - Sugarfree energy drink (shut up)

Lunch - poke salad. Spring mix, spicy tuna, salmon, imitation crab, mango, carrot, cucumber, avocado, poke sauce

Dinner - slow cooker salsa chicken tacos. Guac, pepper jack, sauteed peppers and onions, chicken, and I used trader joe's jicima wraps instead of tortillas.

Nearest guess using Cronometer for calorie counting is about 1500.

4 miles down, brogability, pt homework, etc. commencing.

Lunch:
1 totino's combination personal pizza
2 pepperidge farm nantucket cookies

dinner:
16oz eye of round steak (stupid safeway.com substitution)
1 broccoli
2 eggs
2 cups of rice

remaining calories:
2 scoops of protons
tortilla chips with cheese melted on them

I'm seriously considering getting a barbell and a half rack at this point. I can't imagine trying to go back to the gym while maintaining social distancing and on a reservation system trying to compete with the bros.

They're not super cheap, but Life Fitness's MJ4's are excellent. No gym ever needed after those (And a free weights set/ bench). The MJ5, IMO, is the perfect home gym with a few add ons (free weights/ kettle's/ EZ Curl, etc).

Good equipment will last longer than our own lifetimes. One thing I try to steer away from; "home" all-in-one solutions. those things seem to suck. Hoist is a great commercial light brand. The Hoist fitness tree I bought with some bands and free's was an excellent decision for the gym closure situation.

Luck be with you Agent!

That's the same equipment my local gym uses. I agree, those things are nice. 90% of the stuff I did at the gym I'm doing at home now with bands and kettlebells but not being able to do a proper deadlift or squats is killing me.

I gave serious thought to buying one of these, several years ago. You can hit every muscle group with them.

dcc2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back