• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive done 1 V9, 2 V8s, and a handful of V7s outside... all years ago before I started racing MotoAmerica. I always had a goal of accomplishing a V10+ climb, but never managed it. the last V10 I tried, I blew a tendon in my right ring finger like an idiot. these past few years of not-really-climbing, it has felt very weird to be significantly worse at something than my best. this is really the first time in my life that has ever happend. ive mostly comes to terms with it and I think ill be fine with never accomplishing that goal. but these gains are sure making it ez to get addicted to climbing again :laughing
I know the feeling. :laughing

I started climbing at 32, so the teenagers got stronger faster than me, I didn't really start focusing on bouldering until my late 30's, I did several V7's and one V8 but that was my limit. Sucked that I had to work hard on my diet to keep under 190 when I had spent my whole life up to 32 at 168-175. Power to weight is king in climbing. I made the (in retrospect) dumb idea of seeing what I looked like at 200 lbs, then my body decided that was my new natural weight.

I have a commercial rack, lat machine, rower, and bench, and a really decent stack of plates and dumbbells. It's hard to justify changing things up.... but that setup is where I would have gone had I the means when I started this life six years ago.

With that said, bent over rows kicking my ass today. And I'm struggling with maintaining a consistent diet. Fucking peanut butter pretzels will be my destruction. Straight up crack rock.

It's hard to change up, for sure. I wish I could get into a rack/ that type of workout, but I hate squats and solid bars pop my shoulder around. Racks give a a good set of options for mass/ strength workouts. I'm jelly.

Rowing is by far, my fav in-gym cardio. I pretty much hate cardio tho, hence why I changed my weight workout to take care of that problem. Stations help to keep my HR up...good stations make all the difference. I think you've put a pic up of your setup...but I can't remember.

3x5

Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

Breakfast - Energy Drink (sugar free means it's healthy)
Lunch - leftovers from dinner last night. 2 chicken thighs, italian sausage, brussels, cauliflower rice, and some peppers and onions
Dinner - Chicken Caesar salad.

About 1500 calories if you believe Cronometer.

It's hard to change up, for sure. I wish I could get into a rack/ that type of workout, but I hate squats and solid bars pop my shoulder around. Racks give a a good set of options for mass/ strength workouts. I'm jelly.

Rowing is by far, my fav in-gym cardio. I pretty much hate cardio tho, hence why I changed my weight workout to take care of that problem. Stations help to keep my HR up...good stations make all the difference. I think you've put a pic up of your setup...but I can't remember.
You and I think alike, Berto.

While in the gym, I did 36-38 sets of 18 (30 for abs and back) in under 30 minutes, working on multiple muscle groups so that I could hit another while resting the previous. I only ran a mile but my resting heart rate was 58. Now I've been riding a bike very hard for around 40 minutes for 4 weeks and my resting heart rate isn't as good. More specific cardio, but not as effective as pushing various muscle groups hard.

Also, by pushing those muscle groups hard, they were all prepared to work hard.

And I'm struggling with maintaining a consistent diet. Fucking peanut butter pretzels will be my destruction. Straight up crack rock.
You can train yourself that things with a long list of ingredients that don't look like food aren't food. If it has ingredients that you wouldn't want in your kitchen, it's a red flag. Probably easier for me to avoid those as a couple of the ingredients don't agree with me.

Plenty of snack foods that are actually good for you. This is the best:
https://eatingevolved.com/products/original-keto-cups

Both Eating Evolved, and Taza Chocolate have more. E.g. this chocalate bar with 2g sugar per serving (and no artificial sweeteners): https://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/amaze-bars/products/95-wicked-dark-with-coconut

As long as you're expecting food, not candy this stuff is awesome.

Last edited:
I committed to surgery on my right foot/heel yesterday. It may be as much as three months till it happens. 6 weeks In a cast and as much as year till full recovery. Biking and running will be out but swimming and lifting should be okish. I might be jacked from the waist up come this time next year.

I committed to surgery on my right foot/heel yesterday. It may be as much as three months till it happens. 6 weeks In a cast and as much as year till full recovery. Biking and running will be out but swimming and lifting should be okish. I might be jacked from the waist up come this time next year.

2d3cd6c1d34194d584c935c23bc2115b--fitness-legs-health-fitness.jpg

You can train yourself that things with a long list of ingredients that don't look like food aren't food. If it has ingredients that you wouldn't want in your kitchen, it's a red flag. Probably easier for me to avoid those as a couple of the ingredients don't agree with me.

Plenty of snack foods that are actually good for you. This is the best:
https://eatingevolved.com/products/original-keto-cups

Both Eating Evolved, and Taza Chocolate have more. E.g. this chocalate bar with 2g sugar per serving (and no artificial sweeteners): https://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/amaze-bars/products/95-wicked-dark-with-coconut

As long as you're expecting food, not candy this stuff is awesome.

Thanks, and I do. Pretty much whole-food organic diet. And +1 on Taza, I keep the salted almond in my truck console for mood-adjustment.

My new fav though is Magic Spoons cereal, it's amazing; and expensive AF. But still, I order 3 five-packs and get next day delivery for free.

Cycled the ebike for 6 miles...if I keep it on level 2 and pedal hard I get good exercise especially carrying a 50 lb bag of soil in the pannier.

4 mile run complete, brogability done (gained some ground on my hip/back)

lunch:
wonder hamburger buns
8oz 80/20 burger meat
1oz of cheese
3 chips ahoy cookies

dinner:
8oz 80/20 burger meat
2 cups of macaroni
6oz of cheese
bit of butter
splash of milk
1 broccoli

remaining cals:
2 scoops of protons
chunky chips ahoy

3x5

Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

Breakfast - Energy Drink (sugar free means it's healthy)
Lunch - leftovers from dinner last night. 2 chicken thighs, italian sausage, brussels, cauliflower rice, and some peppers and onions
Dinner - Chicken Caesar salad.

About 1500 calories if you believe Cronometer.

An an observation, depending on how often you do these heavy exercises together in the same day it seems like it could be a lot. Of course, full body routines do similar, but are done like 2x a week.

I do a M/W/F split, alternating between the 2. So 3x over a course of 2 weeks.

I took 2 days off from muscular stuff this week because I feel like I'm still recovering. Combining the bench plus pushups really works the chest.

Thanks, and I do. Pretty much whole-food organic diet. And +1 on Taza, I keep the salted almond in my truck console for mood-adjustment.

My new fav though is Magic Spoons cereal, it's amazing; and expensive AF. But still, I order 3 five-packs and get next day delivery for free.

There's a massive market for "Night Cereal", I've been preaching for a decade almost. Cereal is poised to take the night with the right marketing.

Thanks for the link Beau...I'm ordering Magic C now!

4 miles down... it started pouring rain in middle of the run which was fine until my socks started sloshing.

brogability done and owe reverse hypers. dug out a bunch of plates, just need to find my barbell now and i can start lifting finally. if i can't find it by wednesday im just gonna buy a new one.

lunch:
2 chunky chips ahoy cookies
1 liter of water
half a bag of sweet honey barbecue lays

dinner:
16oz 80/20 ground beef
macaroni
4oz of cheeze
1 broccoli

leftover calories:
2 scoops of protons

Status