• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the biggest set of gravel tires I can squeeze in here for some dirtier rides.

The bike is second hand from CL. They were what was on it when i bought it and I don't know any better. I like em enough. I do get occasional numb/tingle in my hands and the riding position in general took some getting used to coming from a mountain bike but I think I'm adapting ok. The pedals on it are basic as hell but for now platforms make me happy. Most of the serious tri people use "aero" bars i think they are called. The narrow long bars that lean you forward. I have only used those once and they scared the shit out of me :laughing

32C-36C is pretty standard these days for gravel tires. 40C is for really chunky stuff. anything bigger usually requires 650 wheels. there are options now with flat tread blocks in the middle and knobs on the sides that work well with road and mostly dry trails. here are the ones I know of right now:

Specialized Pathfinder
Donnelly X'Plor USH
Panaracer Gravelking SS

your bike proportions seems odd. saddle way back and nose-down. stem really long. it doesnt look comfortable. got a pic of you on the bike from the side?

32C-36C is pretty standard these days for gravel tires. 40C is for really chunky stuff. anything bigger usually requires 650 wheels. there are options now with flat tread blocks in the middle and knobs on the sides that work well with road and mostly dry trails. here are the ones I know of right now:

Specialized Pathfinder
Donnelly X'Plor USH
Panaracer Gravelking SS

your bike proportions seems odd. saddle way back and nose-down. stem really long. it doesnt look comfortable. got a pic of you on the bike from the side?

I don't but, have weird proportions. 30" inseam and a 6'3" wingspan. I'm 5'10" and have short legs from the knee down. Throw in some limited ankle flexibility and things get a little odd. Getting a proper bike fitting is on the list of things to do when I get nice pedals and bike shops are open. The saddle tilt seems necessary to deal with chode soreness. I'm open to different length stem or maybe even crank but so far this is working ok I think. Again not a whole lot besides a mountain bike to compare it to. That saddle is off my mountain bike. The more road type seat the bike came with hurt.

:thumbup on tire tips

I don't but, have weird proportions. 30" inseam and a 6'3" wingspan. I'm 5'10" and have short legs from the knee down. Throw in some limited ankle flexibility and things get a little odd. Getting a proper bike fitting is on the list of things to do when I get nice pedals and bike shops are open. The saddle tilt seems necessary to deal with chode soreness. I'm open to different length stem or maybe even crank but so far this is working ok I think. Again not a whole lot besides a mountain bike to compare it to. That saddle is off my mountain bike. The more road type seat the bike came with hurt.

:thumbup on tire tips

that makes sense. MTB seats are generally designed to be ridden in an upright position. but the Road position rotates your pelvis forward (especially with a long stem). so you'd need to tilt the seat down to relieve pressure using a MTB saddle. the fact that your bars are almost level with your saddle is probably saving you from even more discomfort.

I recently installed a 20mm longer stem on my road bike. this caused some new sit bone pressure and discomfort after 3hrs on the bike. last weekend, right after a ride, I rotated my saddle nose-down by 0.5 degrees to test. test rides around the block felt so much better. tiny changes in anything about your fit can make or break your comfort on a road bike. you'll probably feel a lot better with a fit at a bike shop. then you can start shopping for road saddles :D

it helps. the harder your effort, the more it helps.
Interesting video. Thanks! :thumbup

Now, one additional question. I haven't felt comfortable getting up out of the saddle for uphill pedaling, part of the problem is that my thighs are already burning from earlier parts of the ride and it is just something that my body wants to avoid.

How do you train to do it comfortably and with an advantage?

From the video, they commented on how out of the saddle, riding with the non-clip pedals they felt completely different and almost like a square.

Interesting video. Thanks! :thumbup

Now, one additional question. I haven't felt comfortable getting up out of the saddle for uphill pedaling, part of the problem is that my thighs are already burning from earlier parts of the ride and it is just something that my body wants to avoid.

How do you train to do it comfortably and with an advantage?

GCN has plenty of videos on riding out of the saddle.

[YouTube]pBHOAi-wUHU[/YouTube]
[YouTube]aazsxGAeh6o[/YouTube]

without seeing you ride, I cant even guess why your arent comfortable. if its solely a tired-thing, just practice. I will occasionally do a 5min climb out of the saddle just for the hell of it. but id bet you have plenty of balance and technique issues that are making it worse. bike fit can have a big effect on it too. if your bars are in a poor spot, the bike will feel weird.

keep weight on the midfoot (between heel and ball of foot), there's also a tendency for people unfamiliar with the exercise to use the back foot to pull themselves up, try to avoid that. outside of that, your front leg's shin should not be completely vertical at the bottom position, it should be slightly forward.

one way to cue the midfootedness/balance is to spread your toes and really plant your big toe into the ground, it should make you flex your arches.

Cool, thanks. Wasn't sure about the alignment for the lead leg when I was squatting down. Too far back and it feels weird on the knees. Too far forward and I start to lose balance and put strain on the back leg.

i think that's normal until you get used to the movement, i would also recommend trying different box heights for the trailing leg. if your patellar tendon is getting worked, i would re-assess cost vs. benefit btw (they take forever to heal).

Ok did FIVE sets of pullup:

1. Pullups x 7
2 min rest
2. Neutral Grip x 7
2 min rest
3. Chin ups x 7
2 min rest
4. Neutral grip x 5 or 6
2 min rest
5. Pullup x 4

Did my Zumba today. Found a class called Pony Sweat that is like an aerobic moshpit. Love it. I am surprised how much I like plain aerobics.

The bike shop that has the bike I want isn't reopening for a while. HARRUMPH.

Holding steady on weight. Didn't get as many workouts in this week as usual and was not great about my diet. But steady works.

Gyms are looking to open up here in SF by mid August. Whats everyones plans? Continue to work out at home? Or head back to the gym?

As a fat person I like working out at home. It's a no judgment zone. Plus, I want to continue supporting the online gym that has been helping me get fit during the SIP.

However, I do miss my yoga studio very much so I will attend their classes again when they are open.

im heading back to the gym as soon as possible though i think there will only be 60 minutes max per member session so it'll only be lifting for me. i'll save my running for outside.

I'll be heading back into the gym, when it opens.

With a mask, it will just be a matter of taking a good shower after putting my workout clothes into a plastic bag that goes straight into the washer. I'll probably put a plastic sheet in front of my clothes so that I don't transfer anything to them before putting them back on. Alternatively, I may be riding my bike to the gym, so just taking off my clothes and putting them in the dryer and a full shower before

It's just a matter of not touching anything that will come in contact with my face. I'll probably carry 2 towels, one that never touches the machines, for my face. They have always had plenty of hand sanitizer dispensers (touchless) around the gym.

4 miles down, had a crazy stranded person (with no mask on) approach me apparently asking for phone usage or directions. i ran past him thinking nothing of it until he started screaming. i turned around and he was crying in a standing fetal position lol... good ole san francisco

lunch:
2 pepperidge farm sausalito cookies
1 liter of water

dinner:
16oz ribeye
1 broccoli
2 cups of rice
couple of diet cokes

leftover calories:
2 scoops of protons
pepperidge farm cookies
nathan's hotdogs
wonder hot dog buns

Got the polar chest heartrate monitor. I didn't realize that the Apple health app got info from my bluetooth scale and also tracked my "steps" without me knowing it.

SIP is kinda ending and i am as lean as I have been in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back