• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that much. Although my experience is primary with SV location. Mainly it's just the smell of sweat that hits you when you walk in. Haha

It's not that much. Although my experience is primary with SV location. Mainly it's just the smell of sweat that hits you when you walk in. Haha
Back in the mid 90's in Berkeley Ironworks, when the sun came in through the windows you could see the extent of the chalk dust in the air. It was a pretty well populated gym, tons of chalk dust in the air. I wondered what the health effects of that were, I know it was hell on my cuticles.

I always used chalk ball, bit just ordered liquid chalk to try out. Mainly for home to use on board. Tired having white residue all over. The floor. Haha

Most of my climbing was back in the 90's. They had chalk balls but it took much longer to get chalk on your fingers from the ball so no competition climbers used them. Some competition climbers used a base of liquid chalk but also had a chalk bag with powdered chalk that they could dip their hand into. Many boulderer's had giant chalk bags. LOL

Maybe they've gotten better.

Well, the Stupid People have ruined it for the rest of us.

They're closing down the Gyms in our county, ordered by Newsome.

I haven't seen any outbreak as a result of a gym, I have seen plenty as a result of bars.

225 push ups over the course of the workday. 9 hours Kicked my ass.

3 sets of 40 body weight squats.

Worked late ... not motivated to swim.

HOME GYM
MONDAY, JULY 23, 2020

4x10 - Leg Raise/Vee Up Combo
4x10 - Burpee
4x15 - DB Shoulder Press
4x20 - Push Up/Close Grip Push Up Combo
1x6 - Submarine Push Up (hate!)
4x15 - DB Lateral Raise
3x10 - One Arm Row w Plate
3x10 - Lunge
3x10 - Tri Press on Chair
3x16 - OH Tri Ext
3x10 - Jumping Thingie

FOOD

Starting to get embarassing...

• Bagel with Butter
• Viet Coffee
• 3 Hard Eggs
• Malaysian 3-in-1 Coffee
• Pre Workout
• 11 Gummy Bears
• Post Workout
• Salmon Fillet & Sauteed Spinach

Hope to drink Pro Shake later & fruit

MACROS

Lazy. Need to outsource.

I seem to have maxed out at 7 pullups without a dedicated pullup specific routine
Give yourself a light week.

You plateau after about 4 weeks of hard effort, especially if it's new to you, do a light week then pick up again and you should see some gains.

4 miles down, brogability in progress and aborted on international chest day since my shoulder was feeling funny.

lunch:
1 nature valley proton cereal bar
4 pepperidge farm farmhouse chocolate chip cookies
1 liter of water

dinner:
12oz NY strip steak
6oz burger patty
2 cups of rice
1 broccoli

leftover cals:
2 scoops of protons
1 nature valley proton cereal bar
2oz honey dijon kettle chips

What's your position on energy bars ?

Mainly it looks like I need them during bicycling, since the cellphone exercise app has told me I may have wasted around 500 Cal on a ride...

I look at an RX-bar and it says"200 Cal. " So it should be okay to eat at least one as a snack !!

protons are hard to digest, get the carby ones that are low in fiber if you're out doing a lot of cardio lol

Mainly it looks like I need them during bicycling, since the cellphone exercise app has told me I may have wasted around 500 Cal on a ride...

I look at an RX-bar and it says"200 Cal. " So it should be okay to eat at least one as a snack !!

Personally I wouldn't bother with if it's only 500 Cal.
If you still want to. Find something that you like a taste of, and is not a protein bar.
Also keep in mind it's likely over estimating how many calories you have burned if it's based on HR. If it's just based on speed, or distance traveled, it's out right guessing.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother with if it's only 500 Cal.
If you still want to. Find something that you like a taste of, and is not a protein bar.
Also keep in mind it's likely over estimating how many calories you have burned if it's based on HR. If it's just based on speed, or distance traveled, it's out right guessing.

I have been wondering how strava calculates calorie burn. If I go for a road ride my speed and distance are WAY bigger than a mountain bike ride. My mountain bike rides feel much more intense and like a harder work out but it seems strava calculates less calories for the shorter distances and slower speeds. Its just guessing?

I have been wondering how strava calculates calorie burn. If I go for a road ride my speed and distance are WAY bigger than a mountain bike ride. My mountain bike rides feel much more intense and like a harder work out but it seems strava calculates less calories for the shorter distances and slower speeds. Its just guessing?

Well they have a lot of power data from various users and their stats so hopefully they use it and it's not just guessing. That being said it's like that max HR thing that's based on age. It kind of applies to general distribution, but might not apply to you. So if you want to use Strava estimation as a general guideline should be fine. Just realize that it might be some % off.

HR, body weight, and time are an ok way to guess calories burned. But ya it’s a guess that’s probably +/- 30% of the real value. If you had a power meter it’d be a lot better.

Perceived effort is not an ok way to guess calories burned, lol.

Time has the largest impact on calories. A lazy 3hr ride can burn more than an intense 2hr ride.

What do you mean “wasted”?

IMO if you are riding for performance, eat during any ride longer than 2hrs. Don’t bother trying to eat as much as you burn, it’s not possible to ingest that many calories.

Energy bars can be great. They feel more like real food, but are probably harder to chew and require more water than a gu. +1 to avoid the protein ones. They cause me way more gastric distress.

My fav bar is ProBar Meal. They chew ez, are nicest to my stomach, and taste great.

If they don't ask you what kind of tires you have on your bike, that's a start to indicate that they aren't going to be very accurate.

I think that until they have force sensor's built into shoes to measure the force you're actually applying to the pedals, it's going to be a pretty inaccurate guess on how much work you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back