• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TUNES
Best of Lobo (Weird, I know)
Best of Soundgarden
Best of Nirvana

HOME GYM
THURSDAY, JULY 16, 2020

3x10 - DB Bent Over Row
3x10 - DB Bent Over Rev Grip Row
1x10 - Bent Over Plate Row
4x10 - One Arm Plate Row
8x10 - DB Snatch
4x10 - DB Shrug
1x15 - DB Behind Back Shrug
5x10 - DB Clean
3x10 - DB Curl
3x10 - DB Hammer Curl
3x20 - DB Reverse/Regular Wrist Cur

FOOD

• 3 Eggs, 1 Egg White Scramble w 1 Slice Ezekiel Sesame
• Pro Shake
• 6 oz Turkey and Cherries
• Nonfat Greek Yogurt & 1 TB Honey
• Handful of Grapes
• Pre Workout
• 10 Gummy Bears
• Post Workout
• Sauteed Spinach
• Chickpea Pasta & 3 Turkey Meatballs

More to come

MACROS

CAL - 1682
PRO - 133
CARBURETORS - 184
FAT - 46

Last edited:
225 push ups over the course of the workday. 9 hours Kicked my ass.

3 sets of 40 body weight squats.

OMG.

You're my hero. I have been trying to get my upper body/arm strength/tone "better". (that wasn't hard to do given what I started with--let's just say that.) I'm definitely noticing less exhaustion and hurt, but zero change in the look of things. (The aesthetics of this effort isn't my goal, but I kind of expected to see something.) Anyway, I'm happy with the results of my efforts, but my push-up game is sad. If I can do 30 a day, I'm rockin' it. And I only do them halfway down. And sometimes (many times) I do them from my knees not my toes (which I've actually found to work a little different muscle set maybe--less core so I can focus on my arms).

The triceps are the killer. I use a set of stairs and put my palms on a step and sit my butt a couple of steps lower. Those are hard. And I keep F'ing up my right shoulder when I do them. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't have a mirror, so I can't see my form. Are you doing these? Suggestions on how to get triceps better? I don't have weights, but I can improvise.

Well looks like SF is back on the watch list. I have a feeling SM county might be next. Gotta get it get it at PG Belmont while I can. Booked two sessions this weekend.

OMG.
Anyway, I'm happy with the results of my efforts, but my push-up game is sad. If I can do 30 a day, I'm rockin' it. And I only do them halfway down. And sometimes (many times) I do them from my knees not my toes (which I've actually found to work a little different muscle set maybe--less core so I can focus on my arms).

The triceps are the killer. I use a set of stairs and put my palms on a step and sit my butt a couple of steps lower. Those are hard. And I keep F'ing up my right shoulder when I do them. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't have a mirror, so I can't see my form. Are you doing these? Suggestions on how to get triceps better? I don't have weights, but I can improvise.

DH:

1) Push ups: Instead of doing push ups on your knees, try this: Feet on floor, hands on sofa/bed/steps, etc. Go deep and slow.

2) Tris: shoulder pain could be caused by your hand positioning. You might be John-McCain-ing your rotator cuff.

Check out Jeff’s vid on bench dips:

[YOUTUBE]jdFzYGmvDyg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
The wife and I went on a fishing trip to various lakes (just us, no kid :)) and I have been slacking on diet. I feel a little pudgy.

Got back to boxing the other night and I was gassing out bad. Realized I've been slacking on training all around and also slacking on riding BMX. Career and family does a doozy on time constraints.

I recently got a new BMX frame and building a new bike next week. I haven't had a new bike in 5 years, and haven't really replaced much in parts - and I really thrash my BMX bike (pays to buy the good stuff). So I'm really looking forward to getting creative again with BMX on a new build.

I'm going back on a lower carb diet. I need to to get that weight down. I don't care much about being ripped or looking good, but when the extra weight (I'm 209) contributes to gassing out in boxing - we have a serious problem. Also, I am noticing some back pain (along with all my other injuries) which means I need to get back to training with the medicine ball.

I am also noticing an occasional pain in my left hip, which is disconcerting. I foresee major problems in my future. I stretch, truly have reduced the amount of weight I lift, but I think this is damage from years of "fitness" - and heavy weight lifting which has truly ruined me.

I'm not far off from my goal weight of 200. I've done this sh*t show before - and I pretty much know it's going to take me a month or two to get down to the mark with an adjustment to my diet.

Went bicycling again after I adjusted the saddle--pushed it back a bit, maybe a quarter inch. I.e. extending the saddle reach.

and when I came back the index finger on each hand was getting numb/splinting and I got a splint in one of the toes/calves too. ..:wtf evidently the fit is not right or I froze cycling...
The moving of the seat might have affected back and nerves :wtf

Last edited:
Good luck D

Working around physical issues is part of maturing. :laughing

Why the hell am I laughing??

Office pushups 6 sets = a lot.

Pool tonight.... 80 minutes.
60 laps
UW punches 400
Back fly’s 100

Seeing progress which is nice.

Ordered a Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0 bicycle. Didn't see the value in spending 50% more on a higher end CF / Ultegra

That's a cool bike, and seems like the gearing will suit some gravel grinding. It looks like some cyclocross 32's may fit in that frame and fork. Ask the bike shop if 32's will fit.

Adding a gravel grinding route will definitely make things more fun.

I've had my Pake C'mute for 10 years and have taken it on MTB trails, road century rides, raced it, explored and gone all over the place with it. I've even done epic water crossings with it. I have it set up as a 1X10 with a simple bar end index shifter. It's been built so many different ways over the years, including a single speed at one point. I've had it decked out with MTB handlebars, and right now I have Velo Orange bars on it. The current state it's in is pretty cool.

I would def encourage you to take that thing off road and explore.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 7.53.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 7.53.49 PM.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Went bicycling again after I adjusted the saddle--pushed it back a bit, maybe a quarter inch. I.e. extending the saddle reach.

and when I came back the index finger on each hand was getting numb/splinting and I got a splint in one of the toes/calves too. ..:wtf evidently the fit is not right or I froze cycling...
The moving of the seat might have affected back and nerves :wtf

This.

Why did you move it back? Have you tried different seats? My butt bones are wide, so I found getting away from narrow road seats and adopting MTB seats is what I had to do. After getting away from roadie crap, I found my bike fit got more and more dialed. I've gone through so many saddles and WTB and Planet Bike seems to be the brands for me. A little heavier than cool roadie saddles, but who cares... I'd rather add a few grams and be fitted correctly.

The numbness is from weight distribution being off. Play with it and consider this idea of weight distribution. It took me quite awhile to get my bike(s) right.

Doctor said pills or exercise. (I'm almost seventy) Bought a Cannondale Adventure bike one year ago. Exercise works.

Dropped almost twenty pounds, regained endurance, strength and alertness after almost five thousand miles. Put more miles on the bicycle than the motorcycle. Wore out the cassette, chain, idler wheels, brakes and three sets of tires.

And, as a bonus, applying tools to a worn out bike equates to quality garage time.

The pills made me feel sick anyway.

Didn't take any rest days this week I just keep exercising since even with no rest days its 4 days between workouts. I'm feeling pretty worked out right now.

Doctor said pills or exercise. (I'm almost seventy) Bought a Cannondale Adventure bike one year ago. Exercise works.

Dropped almost twenty pounds, regained endurance, strength and alertness after almost five thousand miles. Put more miles on the bicycle than the motorcycle. Wore out the cassette, chain, idler wheels, brakes and three sets of tires.

And, as a bonus, applying tools to a worn out bike equates to quality garage time.

The pills made me feel sick anyway.

+1

I’m also ancient. Doc told me that most guys my age are on 3 meds!!!

I take zero meds.

I am not a medical marvel. I used to have high cholesterol & triglycerides and regular gout attacks; parents had high BP & cholesterol and were pre-diabetic.

I always wanted to be healthy so accepted I was ancient guy and needed to stay consistent on diet.

As I’ve posted before, for me to stay in shape, its 2/3 diet and 1/3 exercise. And I don’t mind using the word “diet.”

Last edited:
OMG.

I would suggest a large hard cover book laying flat on your back. Lower it to your forehead and then straighten it. Over time use something heavier.

Stairs.. no I don't but you have inspired me to use a bench I have outside in the back of the office. I will give that a go in a while. 100 push ups in so far today.

Sitting at my desk breathing hard...:laughing

@Pushrod ... well done :applause

Fuck it, I pulled the trigger. Decided to invest in my own home gym. Ordered a full rack, barbell, plates, trap bar, bench, and even the damn flooring. I have a garage it can go in. I just dont have any faith gyms will stay open in the meantime. At least this way I dont have to drive all the way to Belmont to lift anymore. Expected delivery is sometime in September.

That's a cool bike, and seems like the gearing will suit some gravel grinding. It looks like some cyclocross 32's may fit in that frame and fork. Ask the bike shop if 32's will fit.

Adding a gravel grinding route will definitely make things more fun.

I've had my Pake C'mute for 10 years and have taken it on MTB trails, road century rides, raced it, explored and gone all over the place with it. I've even done epic water crossings with it. I have it set up as a 1X10 with a simple bar end index shifter. It's been built so many different ways over the years, including a single speed at one point. I've had it decked out with MTB handlebars, and right now I have Velo Orange bars on it. The current state it's in is pretty cool.

I would def encourage you to take that thing off road and explore.

attachment.php

How the hell do you and I never run into each other :laughing

Attachments

• 1D4705C2-ECDD-42E4-B3CD-89F4056FA50C.jpg
    1D4705C2-ECDD-42E4-B3CD-89F4056FA50C.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
Fuck it, I pulled the trigger. Decided to invest in my own home gym. Ordered a full rack, barbell, plates, trap bar, bench, and even the damn flooring. I have a garage it can go in. I just dont have any faith gyms will stay open in the meantime. At least this way I dont have to drive all the way to Belmont to lift anymore. Expected delivery is sometime in September.

i came to this same point in april/may and i think i have less space than you. but barbells and lifting is important enough for me that i have it in the living room (now called the lifting room) :laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back