• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm happy with choosing the Canyon endurance style road bike, it has wider tires and is supposed to be super comfortable for long rides.

Did anyone say more about the bike? haha.
Oh, so that's why the bike looks a little different. I googled it a bit earlier, and thought "hmm why does this look like wireless shifting and different brakes, BUT the other models have disc brakes and (maybe) regular shifting". ... It's because it's built up!

coolio.

Yeah I'm happy with choosing the Canyon endurance style road bike, it has wider tires and is supposed to be super comfortable for long rides.

Wider tires do make a difference, but also geometry, and your fitness. More specifically core strength. Otherwise you start putting too much pressure on your arms and lower back and that starts to hurt after a while.

Did anyone say more about the bike? haha.
Oh, so that's why the bike looks a little different. I googled it a bit earlier, and thought "hmm why does this look like wireless shifting and different brakes, BUT the other models have disc brakes and (maybe) regular shifting". ... It's because it's built up!

coolio.

Ah yeah the disk version is BMCs new iteration they released last year. I think they also have various tiers with wireless being at the top.

My buddy's Canyon is very high end and has electric shifters I think that's nuts. What happens if they break during a ride I wonder... or the battery dies or whatever.

I ordered pedals, shoes, bike computer and water bottles using my REI credit. I need to find my portable pump and saddle bag for spare tubes though my friend says the "style" is not to clip anything to the bike except water :)

Same thing when cable breaks, or mechanical shifter it's an interesting rest of the ride. lol

Good thing about SRAM is that each derailure has it's own battery, so if your rear one went dead you can swap with front and still have some shifting.

Shimano Di2 has a single battery. It gives warnings when it starts to die. First the front derailleur stops working, locking you into the smallest chainring. At that point you have about 100 shifts left. Then the rear derailleur stops working in whatever gear you are in. About 20min later, the rear will give you another 10 shifts or so. Then you are really stuck.

I charged my Di2 twice a year. I ride mostly once a week for 2-7hrs. Its a non-issue. Electronic shifting as a technology is well past any teething problems. Its completely reliable and functions amazingly.

Lezyne makes amazing small pumps that actually work well. I have the "Road Drive" and frame mount it. They also have a tiny saddle bag that will fit everything called "Road Caddy"

4 mile run today down,
still haven't gotten chest day done because my PT jammed her thumb into my pec and it feels fukt.

lunch:
4 pepperidge farm farmhouse cookies
1 nature valley protein cereal bar
1 large coffee

dinner:
hard knox 3 pc fried chicken combo
1 diet coke

leftover cals:
2 scoops of protons

OOSqwTt.jpg

Strength comes back really fast! Especially if it's been less than a couple months. The only caveat is that your joints don't get back to their old strength nearly as fast, I had shoulder surgery in my early 30's because of that fact, the strength came back really fast but my shoulder joint wasn't ready for the huge change.

It's the endurance that really drops off and takes awhile to get back.

Strength comes back really fast! Especially if it's been less than a couple months. The only caveat is that your joints don't get back to their old strength nearly as fast, I had shoulder surgery in my early 30's because of that fact, the strength came back really fast but my shoulder joint wasn't ready for the huge change.

It's the endurance that really drops off and takes awhile to get back.

+1 Joints and endurance are hard to get back. I would have to get to exercising super hard and massive dedication to get back endurance and be at a point where my joints can handle stuff.. I used to sit on one leg bent all the time... now it hurts after like a minute. ugh.

don't get old!

Last edited:
I just took a 40 lecture our course on sports science.

One of the points within that course showed how endurance athletes after training for 24 months lost just about everything within 2 months of normal pedestrian activity, including almost all of their VO2 max gains.

After 3 days of no workouts, your body starts returning to it's non-active state and fully returns after 6 months of non-sports activity.

Last edited:
At 53 years old if I'm not moving forward hard I'm slipping backwards. I took 13 days off lifting and lost almost 25% of my strength. Aging sucks hard.

On another note, Dr. Suade will be competing in Tampa this weekend. Fuck yeah Rob, keep it real!

I just hit 41, I've had to take the last 4 weeks off due to a 2 week trip to Orlando for work, and because I've been fighting some sort of groin/lower abdominal thing that I'm hoping is just a pull or strain and not a tear or a sports hernia.

My flexibility is shot to hell already lol.

At least I'm still eating right and am down almost 20lb.

I just took a 40 lecture our course on sports science.

One of the points within that course showed how endurance athletes after training for 24 months lost just about everything within 2 months of normal pedestrian activity, including almost all of their VO2 max gains.

After 3 days of no workouts, your body starts returning to it's non-active state and fully returns after 6 months of non-sports activity.

That's sad. :(
Did it mention how fast they could get it back?

...because I've been fighting some sort of groin/lower abdominal thing that I'm hoping is just a pull or strain and not a tear or a sports hernia.

My flexibility is shot to hell already lol.

At least I'm still eating right and am down almost 20lb.

Feel around for a bump, if you find something press lightly and cough, just like at the doc's.

As for the 20lbs, whoa. Awesome Mike! Diet is so key, and a lot harder to maintain than training.

So what's the science behind the power and speed cyclists get despite being super skinny? I know there is a power to weight ratio where they are the fastest / strongest, but how are they (and also marathon runners) able to maintain such endurance and power with such small muscles?

Yesterday...

No push ups.. wrist flared up and lots of CBD treatements to help that out. As Beau said aging sucks and being an aggressive MX/Moto racing youth and breaking shit did not help.

Pool:
60 Laps swam.
300 UW punches. 80 minutes.

I have been trying to eat dinner at 4PM before I swim.. and not snack at night. Hard some nights, but mostly successful.

Wrist feeling better today.. knocked out a bunch of push ups with more to come. Swim (boring) later.

Maybe a bicycle in my future to mix this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back