• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends have been doing 7:00 am. Thursday rides and a single 8:00 meeting ruined that today :(

I was going to buy some longer pants like cycling bottoms but I realized they make leg covers just like the arm covers and they turned my shorts into pants :)

57% recovery today. Skipping the pushups today for some recovery.

Yeah knee warmers and leg warmers are more versatile then full leggings, and frankly it doesn't get that cold here.

Most of the time I find knee warmers good enough. Just enough to protect knee joints from cold.

Whenever I see people in the gym utilizing those, I always wonder if they're trying to develop their Glutes, hamstrings or lower back.

I doubt everybody gets it right.

I bought one of those years ago for lower back exercise. That’s the only area I feel after using it. Might be some slight residual benefits to hamstrings.

I started a ride this morning at 720am. It took my legs about an hour to actually feel warm, halfway into the first real climb of the day :(. I'm so glad I brought my gilet. The time change coming up should make it easier to start that early... at least until winter really shows up.

I bought one of those years ago for lower back exercise. That’s the only area I feel after using it. Might be some slight residual benefits to hamstrings.
The difference comes from what you're using to raise your torso. there is some peripheral strengthening of other supporting muscles but the main impact is on what you're utilizing.

Road bikers... HELP

So randomly a few years ago a neighbor from SJ gave us a set of EC70 Easton rims. He just said he didnt like them and literally just gave them to us cause he was tired of moving them,

fast forward to 6 years later i randomly decided to put them on my road bike. I changed out the cassette and got the rear rim adjusted (it was off)

I have popped 3 fucking tubes trying to put the wheels back together. Am I missing something? Im literally not doing anything different than how I changed them before and Ive never pinched/popped a tube. One got a tear as i was filling it up, the other exploded :nchantr

Im using the plastic rim tools, my only guess is these rims are way thicker so its harder to get the wheel up and over the rim which causes the tube to pinch. Any suggestion? Is there a different tool i should use? tips or tricks?

Im about to say fuck it, sell them and put my old rims back on. not trying to have a flat and run outta rubes cause i cant change the fucking things.

Attachments

• 4D57AA3C-CDDA-4EBC-8728-C6A30C62C679.jpeg
    4D57AA3C-CDDA-4EBC-8728-C6A30C62C679.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So randomly a few years ago a neighbor from SJ gave us a set of EC70 Easton rims. He just said he didnt like them and literally just gave them to us cause he was tired of moving them,

fast forward to 6 years later i randomly decided to put them on my road bike. I changed out the cassette and got the rear rim adjusted (it was off)

I have popped 3 fucking tubes trying to put the wheels back together. Am I missing something? Im literally not doing anything different than how I changed them before and Ive never pinched/popped a tube. One got a tear as i was filling it up, the other exploded :nchantr

Im using the plastic rim tools, my only guess is these rims are way thicker so its harder to get the wheel up and over the rim which causes the tube to pinch. Any suggestion? Is there a different tool i should use? tips or tricks?

Im about to say fuck it, sell them and put my old rims back on. not trying to have a flat and run outta rubes cause i cant change the fucking things.
I know your pain, Kim.

It took me a few tubes to finally get it worked out. :laughing

There are 2 things at play. You have to get the tire (not inner tube) locked into the lip of the rim, you do that by adding air (enough to inflate) to the inner gub to push it out and ensure that the tire is seated.

But, before you do that, you have to get the tire on, that is tough, the key is to start on one side and as you put it in you have to press if firmly in all the way from the opposite side of the last 10-15 inches and around to where you still have to get it in. You have to do it both ways. When done right, you can press the tire over the rim with your thumbs. If you can't do that, you probably haven't gained enough slack from pushing it down to accomplish it.

Good luck! There are some videos out there on how to do it, but it just takes doing it a bunch of times. Where I ride has a lot of burrs so I often get punctures. Now I just add about 1 ounce of slime to the tire when I first put it in, over time it distributes and fills in the small pin holes that come from burrs.

Hopefully, that makes sense and helps. :ride

Climber Ive done that. Tire, tube with a bit of air inthe tube, then the rest of the tire. I dont know.

Its not a bike thread Beau. I bought 10 more pounds worth of plates the other day. Determined to get to 155 squat hopefully this week :p That would be the most Ive ever done.

Sandbag has been an interesting addition. and I fucking LOVE rowing. :thumbup

I have a free commuter 7 speed steel framed Public brand bicycle for any BARFers looking to get fit.

For taller riders (5'10-6'2"). I am 6'

You are probably pinching the tube with your tire lever. As you are working the tire on by hand, use a tire lever to push the tube into the tire. When you get to the last difficult part of the tire that cant be done by hand, do this:

1. use the lever to push the tube really far into the tire across the remaining bit
2. remove the lever
3. put the lever back under the tire and hook the wheel
4. pull on the lever so that the minimum amount of lever is "inside" the tire catching the wheel
5. lever the tire on

#4 is the important bit. Any extra lever inside the tire will crush your tube against the wheel. You can even damage your rim tape, which is bad if you go tubeless.

Theres no need to have much air in the tube. You can add some to a new tube to make it round. But deflate it after. The remaining air is perfect.

FYI there is a roadie thread, that might be more appropriate for bike maintaince type, components questions.
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144832

P.S. check rim tape, make sure it's snug.

no one ever goes into that thread figured id get more of an answer here.

You are probably pinching the tube with your tire lever. As you are working the tire on by hand, use a tire lever to push the tube into the tire. When you get to the last difficult part of the tire that cant be done by hand, do this:

1. use the lever to push the tube really far into the tire across the remaining bit
2. remove the lever
3. put the lever back under the tire and hook the wheel
4. pull on the lever so that the minimum amount of lever is "inside" the tire catching the wheel
5. lever the tire on

#4 is the important bit. Any extra lever inside the tire will crush your tube against the wheel. You can even damage your rim tape, which is bad if you go tubeless.

Theres no need to have much air in the tube. You can add some to a new tube to make it round. But deflate it after. The remaining air is perfect.

The tires are extra tight on these rims and difficult to put on, definitely pinching the tubes just not sure how to NOT to do since i cant get the tire over the rim in the last bit. Ill give it a shot though.

Thanks everyone! this concludes the road bike conversation didnt mean to thread jack it so apologies :thumbup

no one ever goes into that thread figured id get more of an answer here.

The tires are extra tight on these rims and difficult to put on, definitely pinching the tubes just not sure how to NOT to do since i cant get the tire over the rim in the last bit. Ill give it a shot though.

Thanks everyone! this concludes the road bike conversation didnt mean to thread jack it so apologies :thumbup

Well at least I subscribed to it, with instant notifications. Usually when someone posts there are replies within a day. So I think people are monitoring it, just not posting regularly. :)

Bummed this has turned into the bicycle thread.

This thread HAS to hold the record for staying on topic. Bike's will wane as swoll happens. A feel a SWOLL coming on for us!

This thread is like 40% biking, 40% lifting, and 20% other. If any of these post help someone exercise and be fit, I'm down.

Bummed this has turned into the bicycle thread.

Well I busted my arms, shoulders and back today.
I am going to break down and look for a bench for the office and some more weights.

I assume swimming is boring as fuck. Cause it is to me. :laughing
But... I will still do it tomorrow. : |

Tried pushups today after not doing them for a while, could only managed 17. So did a few sets of those. Probably could have grunted out a couple more but didn’t seem that important at the time.
I think my form might have been bad in the past and may have led to a slight shoulder issue that since resolved itself.
Was never much into benchpresses.

I have a free commuter 7 speed steel framed Public brand bicycle for any BARFers looking to get fit.

For taller riders (5'10-6'2"). I am 6'

I'll take you up on that! Was looking at other bikes, (like Ernie's,) but I am tall and none were gonna work lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back