• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
uncovered a new annoyance. 1 I SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK at overhead squats. so much so I fell on my ass the second time down cause i was so unbalanced :laughing and 2. the position (im guessing) is making my hand and forearm go numb. I have this weird thing that if I sleep with my arm tucked in my hand goes numb usually my forearm down to my pinky and ring finger. Today however, its my thumb, index, and middle finger along with my forearm that went numb (and still is). my guess is theres some kind of nerve that is getting pinched and causing me to have this issue. might have to avoid over head squats as i think the the only thing a Dr will say is avoid doing that thing.

uncovered a new annoyance. 1 I SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK at overhead squats. so much so I fell on my ass the second time down cause i was so unbalanced :laughing and 2. the position (im guessing) is making my hand and forearm go numb. I have this weird thing that if I sleep with my arm tucked in my hand goes numb usually my forearm down to my pinky and ring finger. Today however, its my thumb, index, and middle finger along with my forearm that went numb (and still is). my guess is theres some kind of nerve that is getting pinched and causing me to have this issue. might have to avoid over head squats as i think the the only thing a Dr will say is avoid doing that thing.

Google nerve flossing and see if it helps

Don't do those unless you are training Olympic lifts or participating in Crossfit garbage. There are plenty of safer ways to train your core and muscles associated with the squat (like uh..squats...)

Don't do those unless you are training Olympic lifts or participating in Crossfit garbage. There are plenty of safer ways to train your core and muscles associated with the squat (like uh..squats...)

Crosssfit garbage?? I resemble that comment:twofinger Overhead and front rack squats are a great way to build core strength. The bar is coming forward because of your shoulder mobility and I have the same problem. Ass goes back for the squat and the hands come forward causing you to drop the bar. Rotating your armpits forward will put you in a better position.

Overhead squats are a tough lift. I've been working on them for over 3 years and still struggle with it.

Overhead and front rack squats are a great way to build core strength.

There are probably better core strength exercises. Sounds like little to gain and much to lose with a potential sports related injury.
Overhead squats look great for magazines and fake weight pics.

I AM doing crossfit garbage ;) my elbow is just a thing Ive had for years. I wasnt even doing heavyweights. I was using the training bar which was only 15lbs. Probably will avoid and do something else the next time its in the class. Pretty sure its the angle in which I have to keep my arms and not the move itself which I could do fine.

PS Lizard I looked it up PRETTY sure that is the issue, stretching hasnt helped yet, still a bit tingly but ill keep at it. Thanks!

Crosssfit garbage?? I resemble that comment:twofinger Overhead and front rack squats are a great way to build core strength. The bar is coming forward because of your shoulder mobility and I have the same problem. Ass goes back for the squat and the hands come forward causing you to drop the bar. Rotating your armpits forward will put you in a better position.

Overhead squats are a tough lift. I've been working on them for over 3 years and still struggle with it.

You can talk up CrossFit all you want, but whatever dipshit is having a newish lifter doing overhead press squats is stupid. The kind of stupid that’s commonly associated with a CrossFit box.

I think CrossFit has some interesting ideas and strategies, but my God, those are outweighed by the craziness of weighed exercises done for speed and associated adaptations of exercises to reduce resistance to increase reps/speed.

I AM doing crossfit garbage ;) my elbow is just a thing Ive had for years. I wasnt even doing heavyweights. I was using the training bar which was only 15lbs. Probably will avoid and do something else the next time its in the class. Pretty sure its the angle in which I have to keep my arms and not the move itself which I could do fine.

PS Lizard I looked it up PRETTY sure that is the issue, stretching hasnt helped yet, still a bit tingly but ill keep at it. Thanks!

Good luck with it. I’d stick with regular squats or even front squats. Unless you have a specific reason to do overhead press squats, it’s probably not worth the risk of injury.

I have same issue with numbness. I have tried various flossing and stretching. Helps a little. I still need to work on it plus find the right stretch(es) or exercise(s). I have noticed when I do forearm strength exercises the pain in my forearm and elbow diminish. I think I have a lot of tightness and impingement.

If the trainer bar is aggravating it, stick with a PVC pipe for now. You can still work on form and technique without a load. Like others have suggested, you can always scale down to a front squat without going overhead.

Who the fuck had you doing overheads? Seriously. Show me this person so I can break one of their fingers.

For the average gym-goer (which I qualify as) there is NEVER a reason to do overheads. They're fucking dangerous AF.

Because CrossFit.
If weights are good and cardio is good, must be better to mix together! Let’s not forget to not only lift weights, but select components of complex lifts and work them into an aerobics routine. Because everyone needs to be able to snatch for speed and reps!

*sorry for the rant, but getting in a program that encourages risky lifting strategy is no way to be fit for life. Stick with good form normal weight resistance part and leave the rest of the nonsense behind.*

Last edited:
I tried overhead squats one time, literally one time and immediately said who the fuck needs that. Yeah I can live a long happy life without making that part of my routine.

You obviously don’t like it and that’s cool. I enjoy it. There is a stigma that comes with crossfit that this particular gym is trying to get away from. I’ve been doing it for 2 mos and it’s not anything like I’ve seen or heard before. So yea.....super helpful comments though. ;)

You obviously don’t like it and that’s cool. I enjoy it. There is a stigma that comes with crossfit that this particular gym is trying to get away from. I’ve been doing it for 2 mos and it’s not anything like I’ve seen or heard before. So yea.....super helpful comments though. ;)

Hey to each his or her own. Just be mindful there’s quite a bit of controversy regarding the effectiveness of the method and judge for yourself.

Hey to each his or her own. Just be mindful there’s quite a bit of controversy regarding the effectiveness of the method and judge for yourself.

Also bear in mind there is a lot of variety in crossfit gyms. Experiences can vary widly from gym to gym.

*not a cross fitter nor a cross fit hater

Dan, did Bay Club buy your Club sport location too? Ours is finally getting some upgrades after Club Sport cash cow’d the thing for a decade.

I asked the manager tonight. He said Bay Club did not buy Club Sport San Ramon. They bought the WC, Pleasanton and Fremont Club Sports. He also said Club Sport SR is a different owner than the other three and has no intent of selling.

Also bear in mind there is a lot of variety in crossfit gyms. Experiences can vary widly from gym to gym.

*not a cross fitter nor a cross fit hater

The the theme is the same. High intensity, high volume minimal progression and complex Olympic style lifts with heavy weight in conditions of high fatigue.
A total recipe for injury. But hey, everyone has a right to snap themselves up in the pursuit of fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back