• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to try that berberine(?) supplement you mentioned and see how it goes.

Been pretty happy with diet modifications stayed steady at 5 lbs lost last week but ate a bit this weekend but was doing a ton of heavy yard work so I probably burned off quite a bit doing that seeing as I didn't go to the gym over the weekend.

I converted to IF about two years ago. I was always a huge proponent of eating breakfast. The first week or two were tough to be sure, but then I got used to not eating breakfast. The big test was whether or not I could do a workout on a fast.

Jiu Jitsu, lifting weights, rock climbing. Did just fine without eating anything and no noticeable dip in performance. Makes you realize you dont need as much food to live or perform on we as a society currently consume.

So I was bitching to my friend about how my deadlifts have seemed to plateau in the last couple of months so he was telling me to do a few Romanian deadlifts just to check my form. So yesterday I did a couple dozen with just the bar just to make sure I got the movement right. Didn't load it since I had been doing deadlifts on Saturday and was still sore. Guess who can barely walk from sore hamstrings today. Never would have figured my hamstrings were this goddamn tight.

I converted to IF about two years ago. I was always a huge proponent of eating breakfast. The first week or two were tough to be sure, but then I got used to not eating breakfast. The big test was whether or not I could do a workout on a fast.

Jiu Jitsu, lifting weights, rock climbing. Did just fine without eating anything and no noticeable dip in performance. Makes you realize you dont need as much food to live or perform on we as a society currently consume.

I'm 6 years into IF now (16:8 mostly though I dip into 20s a couple of days a week). Never was a big breakfast guy but always forced myself to eat it, because, you know most important meal of the day and shit. The biggest fucking lie the food companies ever sold us along with that 3-meals-a-day bullshit. I do miss breakfast foods though (ham, bacon, chicken-fried steak, biscuits & gravy...) so now I'm the weirdo who ends up ordering breakfast foods for dinner when I end up at a diner.

And yea, no problem lifting heavy on an empty stomach. I actually feel like I perform better on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
I am not pre-diabetic, but my fasted A1c in my last bloodwork was 5.6, which is normal, but I can feel I go into uncomfortable areas after high caloric/high carb/sugar meals. I, at times, feel like I'm drunk after such a meal - which is not a good sign. 5.6 A1c is right at the top of normal. Berberin is an OTC Metformin substitute, and with a narrow feeding window with this supplement, I feel I can "hack" my health a bit better.

I get my A1C done every 3 months and I've been ranging from 4.9 to 5.1 over the last 3 years. That's with 16:8 IF, and no dietary restrictions (I still eat rice, pasta, and french fries like a mofo). No diabetic medications either. For reference my A1C was at an all time high at 12 (ten years ago) and I was injecting up to 130 units of insulin a day along with taking Glipizide.

I volunteered to monitor some work Friday night. Got home around 5:30am Saturday and kinda still recovering. Seems like a really unhealthy routine for those who work shift changes on the regular.

Also been doing the IF for around the past four years. Mostly 16-18 hours per day with a 24 hour IF around every 10 days or so. It’s just become the routine but can’t swear its making any sort of huge beneficial improvement. Maybe it is and maybe not, just doesn’t seem to be hurting.

… so now I'm the weirdo who ends up ordering breakfast foods for dinner when I end up at a diner.

Mel’s Diner in Walnut Creek (now permanently closed) - eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast at 8 pm. Innumerable times.

So I was bitching to my friend about how my deadlifts have seemed to plateau in the last couple of months so he was telling me to do a few Romanian deadlifts just to check my form. So yesterday I did a couple dozen with just the bar just to make sure I got the movement right. Didn't load it since I had been doing deadlifts on Saturday and was still sore. Guess who can barely walk from sore hamstrings today. Never would have figured my hamstrings were this goddamn tight.

I'm 6 years into IF now (16:8 mostly though I dip into 20s a couple of days a week). Never was a big breakfast guy but always forced myself to eat it, because, you know most important meal of the day and shit. The biggest fucking lie the food companies ever sold us along with that 3-meals-a-day bullshit. I do miss breakfast foods though (ham, bacon, chicken-fried steak, biscuits & gravy...) so now I'm the weirdo who ends up ordering breakfast foods for dinner when I end up at a diner.

And yea, no problem lifting heavy on an empty stomach. I actually feel like I perform better on an empty stomach.

Tight hamstrings are a bitch and can cause lower back strain since its all connected. I had a back problem a few years ago and my orthopedist pointed out that it was likely caused by my hamstrings. Now, every morning after I get up I do a set of basic stretches and I haven't had problems since.

Also, I totally get you on ordering breakfast foods for dinner. So so gratifying.. :laughing

Also, I totally get you on ordering breakfast foods for dinner. So so gratifying.. :laughing

night cereal. Not sure why companies haven't rebranded cereal as an acceptable night time thing...

night cereal. Not sure why companies haven't rebranded cereal as an acceptable night time thing...

:laughing

I do that too. Costco got me a couple of months ago with the new chocolate Frosted Flakes so I've been enjoying a bowl of sugar as desert at dinner a few times a week.

Hahahahahaha! That's my EXACT Thang right now Alan! Coco flakes rule...

Anyone have equipment needs? West Auctions has squat stands cheap among racks, etc. All NIB. Benches, etc.

Also, I've got an older crossover cable set I'm willing to part with for whatever someone wants to donate to BARF.

Think all the fitness companies are having a fire sale right now since everyone who bought a home gym have everything they need and the public gyms have all opened back up.

Squeezed under 200 this morning - I have not changed the make up of my food (meaning I'm no longer going keto), but I am fasting 18 hours a day, or, I have a 6 hour feeding window, from noon to 6. This will probably be broken this weekend to watch the Canelo fight. Anyway...

I've realized that working out hard, going beast as much as I can, training, fighting, eating it all comes down to one thing - how I look in a BJJ rash guard.

Folks, buy a BJJ rash guard and wear one when you work out and you will suddenly realize you are restricting food, working out harder, taking supplements, getting proper sleep, etc. because the truth of your body composition all comes out when you wear a BJJ no Gi rashguard.

On the note of gym memberships - I will never have another gym membership (except the MMA gym) ever again. I have spent so much time on building Garage Dojo into a training temple, a lot of which is DIY home-made stuff. When I started with it, I was swinging cinder blocks and using my battle rope and fitness bands. Over the last two years, it's really become an awesome spot, completely tailored to what I want and need for training.

We are building a custom home, and can't wait to transfer the garage dojo to our new house. I will then have mats for rolling, judo and sparring. I asked my wife if I could teach Santa Cruz Karate Collective there and she said no. But then again, she just bought me a 2021 Africa Twin ES, sooooooo I can't argue.

I’d love some 60 lb dumbbells that don’t cost a billion dollars

About $1.50/ lb is best I saw at the auction (less for higher weight).

On the note of gym memberships - I will never have another gym membership (except the MMA gym) ever again. I have spent so much time on building Garage Dojo into a training temple, a lot of which is DIY home-made stuff. When I started with it, I was swinging cinder blocks and using my battle rope and fitness bands. Over the last two years, it's really become an awesome spot, completely tailored to what I want and need for training.

+10000000000

This stuff is in San Jose...so it's close.

Hadn't ridden in weeks, got back in the saddle. I was lucky it was an easy pace city loop goodbye ride for an older gentleman. I did ok on the inclines!

Been maintaining my workout routine, once a week minimum with the trainer and then I try and do it again a few days before and after the training. Weight is stable. Trying to eat healthy.

IMG-1089.jpg

Welp, I got this in my e-mail today and it looks like I'm going in for the Black Belt Kumite Challenge. It's been a loooooooong time since I fought, and I'm super excited to prep for it. My students were like "Why don't you ever fight, Mr. D?" and I would say "I'm too old!" but hey, this would be a good thing to do for their sake so they can see that I can still muster up combat.

I've really been able to keep my weight down and this gives me just one more thing to train for. I've already reached out to my training partners to help me prep - 6 months is a good amount of time to work out my old man kinks. I just wish I could watch video tape of whomever I'm going to be fighting.

There are age brackets, so I'll be fighting in the old fart class, which is fine because a feel friggin' great, better now than I did when I was younger.

I'm a little sad because the karate organization I belong to frowns on competitive fighting now, so I won't be going in representing my traditional martial arts dojo, but rather my MMA gym - which is just fine. I would've loved to rep my organization as I did in the past.

Anyway, I'm very stoked to fight, and feel extremely blessed I'm healthy and energetic enough to pursue this at my age.

Whoa...pumped for this Dion! Are they gonna live stream it? You're gonna do well...no matter how things finish out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back